PDA

View Full Version : Shark Race-R

throstle
17-09-2011, 07:01 PM
Just bought my 1st non Arai helmet. What a mistake!

Although comfortable, my new Shark Race-r Optigon is extremely noisy and has a gimmicky magnet strap closure that comes undone if a mouse sneezes within a mile of it. Apart from being annoying and irritating as it beats against your neck, it must surely be less than safe.

Shark replied to my complaint and said take it back to the dealer you bought it from ( about a 4hr round trip.) When I pointed out the inconvenience, they said what do you want us to do about it.

Back to Arai qualirty and service I go at the double.

LVC
17-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Sharks have very mixed ratings - I have two a S500 and a S800 and love them both. It often comes down to head shape and size but shodgy workmanship and fastenings that don't stay fastened are not on. I think Shark is French so I guess it was the importer you spoke to rather than head office?

My next will probably be a dual sport (MX style with Visor) and I know it's more looks than performance but I am a tart after all.

throstle
17-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Yes they are French and it was the importer.
I know human error is part of life, but, it's how problems are solved that counts. Shark weren't interested.

LVC
17-09-2011, 08:28 PM
I know human error is part of life, but, it's how problems are solved that counts. Shark weren't interested Yes they are French.

I think you've hit the nail on the head there :spin:

slipperyweeguy
18-09-2011, 09:47 AM
Well, did you ask them if it could be returned by courier, well packed and with a written description of the complaint and a copy of your proof of purchase?

If there is an issue of the item's fitness for its purpose then you are protected by consumer protection legislation (details online and from the trading standards office of your local authority). Your contract of sale is with the retailer not the distributor or manufacturer, so it is the retailer that should be the focus of your complaint. If you choose to purchase an item from a place hours away from your home that is your choice and does not alter the terms of the contract or the protections or liabilities in law.
I got out of flogging lids for a living, having done it for 13 years. The technical bod at Shark's UK distributor was previously the technical bod at Arai's UK distributor. Shark did have a very good warranty system, but obviously you have to let the appropriate people see the item and determine the nature and cause of the fault. A problem of a retaining strap opening up when not intended is a serious issue, and would be worth pursuing. Make notes of to whom you have spoken, when, and the gist of what is said.

One of my ex-minions purchased a Shark RSR2 to replace his Arai RX7 and was pleased with it. Earlier this year I bought my first non-Arai in over 20 years and am very pleased with it (HJC FG15). I paint helmets and have done so for over 20 years, and have worked on lids of all types and qualities up to F1 car types. I used to say I would only buy certain few types of lid but these days there are some great helmets at very keen prices. Certain brands may br more prone to niggling faults, such as with visor clips and so on, but in general, helmets go through such stringent quality control procedures in manufacture that serious faults are very, very rare.

Starter Sprag
18-09-2011, 10:35 AM
I too would recommend HJC helmets,

Light, comfy, very good fit, quality fittings, good safety rating, and not expensive

Best new helmet, I've had in years

throstle
23-09-2011, 05:20 PM
I had a problem with a connecting zip on a 2 piece Dainese suit. They were great and said just take it back to your nearest authorised dealer. If it's a warranty issue, they will take care of it for me.

I was told by Shark, that it would all be up to me to get the helmet back to the store I bought it from.
No offer to courior it, refund shipping if proven faulty, take to nearest authorised dealer. Nothing at all.

Dreadful service and attitude = 1 customer lost forever.