PDA

View Full Version : carbs

revver
10-09-2011, 08:11 PM
Hi all does anyone know if the carbs off a 97 600ss/ m600 fit my 95 m600? They look the same but is the jetting all the same as my m600 tends to miss when at low speed but when you open throttle it picks up o.k. It has had new plugs air filter and balanced the carbs but still no better. It is like a flat spot but i am unsure at what RPM it is doing it.
P.S. any info on swapping the clocks would help to get a rev counter on her. Thanks.:banghead:

Dookbob
10-09-2011, 08:27 PM
Sounds like your idle mixture is not quite set right, or needs a clean out. The 97 carbs should be ok , but they might suffer from the same thing , so give your exixting carbs a tweak on the idle screws, and see if it resolves the problem.
These bikes do suffer a bit from snatchiness at low revs when cold, and even when warm to some extent, that could be your only problem. One of two things can help if this is the case, either fit a stage one dynojet kit, or try a 14 tooth front sprocket , which will get you off the idle jet earlier.

revver
11-09-2011, 08:27 PM
I cleaned them out when i first got the bike thinking they were dirty but still the same as for the idle screws one has been rounded and i cant see any way of getting it out. As for the stage 1 where could i get a set or replacment jets. Thanks for advice Dookbob.

Dookbob
14-09-2011, 06:36 PM
If the idle screw is rounded you have a problem, it,s not an easy task to drill them out. if you have another pair of carbs then you could use those and keep the originals for the spare parts. Spares shack might be able to get you replacement jets, and no doubt others on here would know of alternatives.

revver
15-09-2011, 04:14 PM
Just bought a pair off a low mileage 97 monster and the bloke says it was running perfectly before he stripped it so fingures crossed. How many miles should i be getting out of a tank? Thanks for the help and advice.

He11cat
15-09-2011, 04:53 PM
re jet if you can and needles they wear out and are a pain...
I had no end of trouble a friend kindly sorted me out in the end.

Moto rapido may have the bits.
I got some jets from them.
My idle screws were iffy as well.
Best to replace if you can get out.
Mines a 99 and he was well worn out.
Like a new bike now :)

Best to replace for new bits then you know where you stand.
Then have lots of happy monstering for longer :)

revver
15-09-2011, 05:24 PM
How you feeling now? I read that you were not well a while ago (not been on here for a while).
The idle screw is well rounded i had a few good goes at getting it out but it is stuck solid. so second hand carbs seem to be the way to go.

He11cat
16-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Thank you for asking :) found out why I am sick I am now waiting to find out what my options are ... bit scared to be honest but il fight it out.

If that screw is stuck then yup see your point ...
I suspect my little yellow beastie will be having a rejet soon...
I was given another place for carb parts my minds blank to be honest today..
il look in my pile of papers..

Moto Rapido are great for parts .. fast delivery :)

revver
16-09-2011, 06:07 PM
GOOD. Will see what these are like. Should be here soon yeeeeepeeeeee. What sort of mileage do you get out of a tank at a steady pace.

Dookbob
16-09-2011, 07:06 PM
I have had 4 M600 models, and they all did about the same on fuel, 50 MPG, but I am not a fast rider. I was brought up on Triumph, Norton and BSA and I have never got used to using the high revs that current bikes are capable of.

He11cat
16-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I always fill up at about 110 miles ... I am very sad and every time I fill up I 000 my gauge and then at around 110 I fill up .
I am captain slow

revver
16-09-2011, 07:14 PM
what does that work out at for a tank full? I can't remember how much i put in or how much it cost.

revver
20-09-2011, 06:21 PM
Panic!!!!!!!!!!!!! Stripped the bike down ready for the carbs to arrive and guess what found a frayed throttle cable. So called motorapido and they have'nt got any in stock but can get them in to them for wed and get them to me for fri hopefully. And demo on sunday fingures crossed.

revver
22-09-2011, 08:15 PM
Phoned motorapido tonight they cant get my cables in time ."bugger". But have found a dealer in abergeley who has a return cable so i might have to do a 180 mile round trip tomoz to fetch it as they wont grt hear in time by post for the demo. What a week.