PDA

View Full Version : What should I do ?

ryanhorton1973
05-09-2011, 01:24 AM
I have to make a decision reagarding my Monster 696! Do I redo the paintscheme so I fool my brain into thinking I have a new bike and keep it. Or do I do a straight swap for another bike? Any comments / suggestions welcome! I have attached a rough picture of the new paintscheme and also the optional new bike.

chris yeatman
05-09-2011, 06:35 AM
repaint it, or change the panels!!

randall356
05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Depends what other bike you might swap it for. If it is for the one pictured, Ninja, then change the panels!

randall356
05-09-2011, 08:21 AM
Some more info would be nice though - is there anything wrong with the monster? Why do you want a fully faired bike like the ninja etc

buzzbomb
05-09-2011, 08:56 AM
It's a no brainer...:banghead:

Repaint...:idea: And don't forget the wheels...;);)

ryanhorton1973
05-09-2011, 09:02 AM
Nothing wrong with the Monster I have owned it since new. The main thing that is even making me think of changing is the 100 kph (62mph) speed limit in New Zealand. The bike is in 3rd / 4th most of the time and they are pretty strict on the speed limits. The Ninja is the only viable option as I have tried the Honda 250 CBR and the Hyosung 250 and they are just gutless and I don't really like the look of them. The Kawasaki is the only new 400cc bike that I can live with looks wise as I don't want a cruiser / motocross bike. The bike is in for its 3 year service this weekend and I am having a 14 tooth sprocket fitted but I don't think this will make a big enough difference to the overall gear ratios.

J.P
05-09-2011, 09:10 AM
Keep the Monster & change the paint scheme. You might be going slow, but you'll look cooler than anyone else.

randall356
05-09-2011, 09:12 AM
Still a bit confused in why you need to change. 62mph limit is okay for a naked bike as the wind can't be getting to you at that, and what is wrong with being in gear 3 or 4? The speed limits here are 70 mph and I cruise around in top at that speed just fine.

Sounds like it may be a case of wantinganewbikeitis, which I get nearly every time I go on ebay or autotrader.

He11cat
05-09-2011, 09:19 AM
If you like it , its not broken then don't fix it (Don't trade it in)

I get bored with bikes I have to say ... But yesterday after riding through torrential rain for over an hour and stopping to see my friend I kinda felt wow I so am in love with my little bike.

I was fine in the rain he felt planted, and I stood at twilight in the country and my friend said He looks so nice in this light I like him ....
My friend is on bike 358!!!!!!!! and has two more lined up!!
But he loves my Hector and he has owned monsters!

A change is as good as a rest I say ! Change the paint :)
would I swap to a ninja ..... hell no I sold my soul to the devil he can keep my soul :)

scrapps
05-09-2011, 12:09 PM
Its a no brainer Ryan keep the Monster and repaint it. you will be looking much much cooler on a Ducati than a Kwak
The sprocket change will help.
Hope all is good for you both in NZ

SunEye
05-09-2011, 06:41 PM
I would keep the Monster. As well as putting a 14 tooth sprocket on the front you could go up some teeth at the back as well. Whether you'll be able to keep the front wheel on the ground is up to you and your right hand.

As well as changing the paint scheme what about all the other endless bits of bling you can add to your bike to personalise it and make it special? It's never ending if you want it to be and enables you to never get bored with the look of your bike.

Personally if I was really restricted to how fast I could ride I'd get something like an Aprilia RS125 and enjoy going around corners, the smell of two stoke oil and having to look after it. Or I'd just ride my Monster sensibly with some different sprockets.

MrsC_772
05-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Monster art panels if you're bored with the looks, or the slippery slope to carbonitis a la Albie.

Can't see how changing a naked bike for a faired sportsbike (even a 400) would help if your concern is keeping to the speed limit. Nothing wrong with a 696's 3rd gear - I spend more time in 3rd than any other.

Having gone the other way (from a 400cc Suzuki Bandit to a 696), ok, the 400 engine will be smoother but you'll spend your life going up and down the gearbox chasing a narrow powerband, and (in my case - ok I'm not the most skilled rider) getting frustrated that you enter every other bend in the wrong gear. Certainly wouldn't trade the confidence inspiring handling and forgiving engine of the 696 for my old Bandit.

ryanhorton1973
06-09-2011, 06:03 AM
Thanks for all the comments they are appreciated. I have all ready had carbonitis that I caught from Albie and the bike has had adjustable levers, heated grips added to it along with Leo Vince end cans. I will keep the bike and get the paintscheme changed to celebrate Mr Checcas imminent world championship victory !

gary tompkins
06-09-2011, 11:51 AM
I would leave it as it is.. save the money for your tax and insurance :biggrin: