PDA

View Full Version : Running lean.......

Mr.Number
01-09-2011, 07:16 PM
Had a service today and a new full arrow race system fitted to the S2R along with a couple of dyno runs. The bike is running lean with the rear cylinder getting hotter than i would like but it runs fine. Want to sort the fuelling out sooner rather than later.

I know theres a few of us on here who have fitted after market systems.

The guy who serviced the bike has recommended a power commander and swears by them as its so flexible, but are there other alternatives to getting the fuelling spot on.

rac3r
01-09-2011, 07:27 PM
Dp ecu ???

PDS
01-09-2011, 07:52 PM
I would advocate reflashing your existing ECU it works out slighty cheaper in my experiance, however should you sell your bike and take the pipes off etc is not as though you can just remove a box like a power commander, but equally not having a power commander is one less thing in theory to go wrong.

steeevvvooo
01-09-2011, 07:58 PM
A powercommander (£250-300?) also needs a DP ECU (£300+?) , then dyno time (would guess about £100 for set up and fiddling but not sure?), which could all add up to an expensive fix.

I've mentioned BSD tuning before, but there are a couple of other places who can re-program the standard ECU. Basically, no need for DP ECU, Powercommander, and dyno time included in the set up. Also, powercommanders are "flexible", but only within the preset settings (though there are lots of variable I believe).

i.e. there are lots of settings to choose, but re-flashing your ECU is almost infinitely customisable to your exact set-up and engine. The whole service costs only a little more than the DP ECU, and it is set specifically for YOUR bike (not a generic map for an S2R with termis)

I was also running very lean as the bottom graph shows. 15:1 rather than 13:1 mixture :dizzy: :eek: There is loads of other stuff they can do as well, like raise rev limits, play with power curves etc etc

The proof is in the picture...

:edit: you also get the original map to take away (they also store it) so you can take it back and have it put back to normal. Additional dyno time is just charged by the hour, and I imagine downloading the original map back to the bike is very quick
http://i690.photobucket.com/albums/vv265/steeevvvooo/S2R1000dynoJune2011.jpg

Gilps
01-09-2011, 08:05 PM
I fitted a power commander to my S2R to sort out the lean runing problems. you don't need to fit a DP ECU as well. It will cost around £400 including fitting and a dyno run to get the map set up right. The standard ECU doesn't have enough range within it normally to be able to be adjusted enough. However, Rich at Louigi Moto has figured out how to configure the stock ECU to work properly. He reckons it has more adjustability than a PC, it's just that the standard dealer software can't programme it that way.

steeevvvooo
01-09-2011, 08:19 PM
I fitted a power commander to my S2R to sort out the lean runing problems. you don't need to fit a DP ECU as well. It will cost around £400 including fitting and a dyno run to get the map set up right. The standard ECU doesn't have enough range within it normally to be able to be adjusted enough. However, Rich at Louigi Moto has figured out how to configure the stock ECU to work properly. He reckons it has more adjustability than a PC, it's just that the standard dealer software can't programme it that way.

I stand corrected on needed a DP ECU as well :dizzy: but think maybe we're saying the same thing. DP ECU offers more flexibility when used with a powercommander (i.e. standard ECU is not really "tweakable".

Maybe Louigi Moto do the same as BSD? They are able to effectively get into the ECU and edit the data in there. They pay a third party for the software and access (not sure of the exact details) and can then tweak it to your needs.

Give BSD and Louigi moto a call to discuss it. Might be too far for you to travel, but might help understand your options.

Mr.Number
01-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Steevo, in the bottom graph (air/fuel) is the red line hugging 13 where you are now ?

Im running 14:1 now and can feel the heat at the rear cylinder, also the temp gauge is hitting the 90's under normal throttle as opposed to after a 'thrashing'.

Did you go to bsd then ?

Funkatronic
01-09-2011, 09:14 PM
this had een discussed on here many times, have a search for lambda sensor and you will see

bottom line is thatcant sort s2r 1000 fueling with just a power commander due to the joy of the open loop fuelling/lambda sensor.

only option is either get a DP ECU (which is a one size fits all solution) or better still go the route that steve went getting the bike custom mapped by BSD or one of the other outfits that can offer this service

you could use a power commander with a dp ecu, but to be honest it will be cheaper and your will get better results getting the bike custom mapped

my 1000 is going to BSD soon as i have fitted the decat and changed the oil, plugs and filters

if you are going to get it re mapped, get yourself an open airbox and K&N air filter too

Gilps
02-09-2011, 06:17 PM
Sorry, you said S2R and I assumed that you meant the 800 (the S2R was an 800). I've just realised that you have the 1000 with the lambda sensor issue. Please ignore me.

steeevvvooo
02-09-2011, 06:29 PM
Steevo, in the bottom graph (air/fuel) is the red line hugging 13 where you are now ?

Im running 14:1 now and can feel the heat at the rear cylinder, also the temp gauge is hitting the 90's under normal throttle as opposed to after a 'thrashing'.

Did you go to bsd then ?

yes, that's the mixture at the bottom. 13:1 is supposedly optimum. I used BSD, and they claim to be unique in what they do but not sure if Luigi Moto or anyone else can also do it?

Please ignore me.

I am not particularly technical, or mechanical for that matter, so was happy to go along with what you say anyway! :D :hail:

Ali - did we chat about this on PMs a while ago? Can't remember if I ever messaged you back?! :on:

Mr.Number
04-09-2011, 03:29 PM
Steeevo did you go to bsd ?

Funkatronic
04-09-2011, 03:45 PM
hi steve we did speak about this, never said thanks for your messages, apologies and many thanks

Mr Number- yes steve went to BSD

Mr.Number
04-09-2011, 05:12 PM
Ok funk thanks.