PDA

View Full Version : sad day for bsb

chris yeatman
29-08-2011, 08:10 PM
http://au.eurosport.com/motorsports/bsb/2009/tragedy-overshadows-bsb_sto2926377/story.shtml

RIP ben.

Yorkie
29-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Very sad, watched it on telly, there were quite a few 'offs' today, this one is very unfortunate.

RIP

chris yeatman
29-08-2011, 08:29 PM
company up the road from me sponsors them.

Mr Cake
29-08-2011, 09:52 PM
Saturday's Manx GP Newcomers race winner, Wayne Hamilton, also died today.

Sad day. Our condolences to both families.

C

utopia
30-08-2011, 01:05 AM
I was there.
It happened right in front of me.
So unlucky. The crash itself was nothing. He would probably have walked away, if he hadn't been hit, but the following pack was still tightly bunched and relatively unsighted, and could do little to avoid him in the circumstances.
A real tradegy.

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 06:28 AM
Sounds very similar to Craig Jones' accident at Brands a few years ago. And Tomizawa's in Moto2.

Dave

Stuart42
30-08-2011, 06:51 AM
Sad week all round as road racing lost Adrian McFarland and Neil Kent.

Was at Manx yesterday and saw Wayne leave, is upsetting to remember seeing a guy leave the start, now knowing he didn't make it.

All of the racers know the risk of racing, especially on the roads. They do it for the love of racing and I admire anyone who has a go.

Rest in peace, hero's one and all.

bex
30-08-2011, 07:28 AM
RIP all. Devastating stuff :(

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 09:04 AM
Bloody hell, Stuart. You don't get much more experienced than them pair! :(

C

Stuart42
30-08-2011, 09:12 AM
Bloody hell, Stuart. You don't get much more experienced than them pair! :(

C

I know it is a real shock when anyone is killed racing, especially as the level anyone who races roads has to be before they can do it.

A mate of mine was seriously injured racing on The Island as he picked up a puncture going into Cronk Ny Mona so the bike just stayed upright when he leant it in.

The marshals all do a fantastic job but they can't see every bit of debris on the circuit.

Things like that and mechanical faliure you just can't allow for.

Sadly its all part and parcel of racing, but is a shame that something as fantastic as road racing has this downside.

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 09:48 AM
The marshals all do a fantastic job but they can't see every bit of debris on the circuit.

And yet MSV want to replace most marshal posts with flashing LED lights! It's disgusting.

Have you picked up any of Stephen Davison's road racing books? They capture the highs and the lows of the real-roads scene. I still weep at DJ's tribute dvd.

C

Stuart42
30-08-2011, 09:51 AM
[QUOTE=Mr Cake;402916]And yet MSV want to replace most marshal posts with flashing LED lights! It's disgusting.

You are kidding?

I mean especially on the roads thats just utter nonsense.

Oh yes, think I have them all.

Saw another on the Island called Shutter Speed which isn't by Stephen but looked good

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 10:06 AM
It's no joke, mate. Only on MSV owned short circuits at the moment as far as I'm aware. That's still too many though. I don't think they dare do it for the roads.

C

Stuart42
30-08-2011, 10:10 AM
Well thats going to increase response times to incidents.

As I understand it, marshals do it for free anyway? So whats the point?

I know that incidents such as what happened this weekend can't be avoided no matter hopw many you have but there are a lot of incidents which no doubt would have been far far worse if it were not for the 'Orange Army'?

Hopefully BSB/Moto GP/ WSB etc will boycott these circuits if this happens?

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 10:24 AM
If?! They're up and running at Oulton! :rolleyes:

C

jimz750
30-08-2011, 10:41 AM
I was there.
It happened right in front of me.
So unlucky. The crash itself was nothing. He would probably have walked away, if he hadn't been hit, but the following pack was still tightly bunched and relatively unsighted, and could do little to avoid him in the circumstances.
A real tradegy.

Me too Jeff, Did'nt spot you though.
Very nasty crash

Mr.Number
30-08-2011, 10:59 AM
I still think theres plenty of room for improvement regarding protective gear. I dont know if the riders in bsb and similar levels have the air bag systems in their suits which is standard in moto gp, not that it would have helped in these incidents but who knows.

With all the materials available these days, youd think a more protective system would be achievable than just leather/titanium !

I also think more could be done to protect the neck which is exposed at all levels.

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 11:21 AM
Regarding the neck; freedom of movement is essential, and would probably lead to more accidents if the rider cannot turn their head to see. Leather is the best stuff because it allows the fallen rider to slide and doesn't twist or bunch. It isn't for impact resistance therefore protection is minimal.

C

Mr.Number
30-08-2011, 01:41 PM
it wouldnt be possible to race without freedom of movement for the neck.....however its still exposed. A high proportion of race injuries are collar bone / shoulder related. Protection there is ****. More could be done

Unit 18
30-08-2011, 02:30 PM
And yet MSV want to replace most marshal posts with flashing LED lights! It's disgusting.

C

Hi, I'd be interested to know where this information comes from as I visit all the MSV circuits during the year and don't know of this development.

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 03:03 PM
Riders safety briefing, braking into Hizzy's, wheelying over the top of Clay Hill and out of Druids. Incidents are Cctv monitored and the appropriate LED signal dished out.

I think you should visit more often. It's fun :D

I'm at Oulton Park tomorrow if you'd like me to film the briefing.

C

Unit 18
30-08-2011, 03:25 PM
Yes but that's a track day, are you saying that they are replacing marshal's posts on permit race meetings?

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 03:31 PM
This really isn't the thread for it to be honest, mate. I'm not going to row on what is basically an obituary.

Start a thread about circuit safety by all means. I'll row all you like there.

What I will say, however, is that I'd like to think that my life is just as important as, say Hopper's.
C

J.P
30-08-2011, 03:37 PM
Condolences to all the families of the riders who loved doing what they did.

Mr Cake
30-08-2011, 03:38 PM
Here here!

C

Unit 18
30-08-2011, 03:46 PM
Point taken, and of course my sympathies go out to all involved.

He11cat
30-08-2011, 09:46 PM
Very sad .. I always admire those who race and especially road race as well.
Marshalls don't get paid IOM .. You get a very special patch though.

It's never nice to hear of any biker down be it a racer or a commuter it always makes me extra sad.
Much respect and sympathy to the families.