PDA

View Full Version : trouble changing spark plug!

the_adam
26-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Hi all,

Spark plugs needed to be changed so I decided that was my one job for the day off :) The vertical cylinder was done in a minute ...but I've spent the rest of the afternoon trying to work out why I can't get the cable out of the other one! Well...not the cable but the bit on the end that the spark plug goes into, I can't think of the word at the moment! :worried:

Wondered if anyone might have any tips for loosening it? I've tried everything I could think of, even attempted to lever it out with a couple of small flat blade screwdrivers (probably not particularly wise now I think about it...), it lifts out by about half a mm, just enough to wobble from side to side, but no further. Or am I doing something very stupid? :scratch: Never changed them on this particular bike but I've done plenty before and it's always lifted straight out like it did on the other cylinder...

Mr Cake
26-08-2011, 04:10 PM
Keep yankin', chief! Failing that, take the plug off the coil and unscrew the cap off the plug. That's if the end of the plug is threaded, of course.

C

PDS
26-08-2011, 04:27 PM
I would imagine its being a pain as general road crud has found its way in, wiggle and pulling are about your options,

Albie
26-08-2011, 04:32 PM
What the plug cap you mean. It would be just a spring clip inside clinging on for dear life no doubt. It should come off eventually but mind your knuckles.

slob
26-08-2011, 05:12 PM
pull harder

the_adam
26-08-2011, 06:47 PM
Thanks for the replies. Hoped it was just me doing something wrong, I've been pulling it all afternoon already... with hands, pliers, improvised levering devices and whatever else I could find :( But try some more tomorrow I guess

Don't think the cap will be threaded, I didn't actually check but the other one could just be pulled off. I did spin it round quite a few times just in case! Considered spraying a bit of wd40 in there too but I wondered how much dirt it'd carry into the cylinder once I've finally got the spark plug out.

slob
26-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Once the cap is off, spray any residual grit and dirt out with brake cleaner before you undo the plug, then no problem.

Albie
26-08-2011, 07:00 PM
Thanks for the replies. Hoped it was just me doing something wrong, I've been pulling it all afternoon already... with hands, pliers, improvised levering devices and whatever else I could find :( But try some more tomorrow I guess

Don't think the cap will be threaded, I didn't actually check but the other one could just be pulled off. I did spin it round quite a few times just in case! Considered spraying a bit of wd40 in there too but I wondered how much dirt it'd carry into the cylinder once I've finally got the spark plug out.

You must be knackered trying to pull it off all afternoon.And you say still wont come. I do believe that the alloy cap of the plug that screws off has a recess undercut to which the clips fit in. Im sure it should pop off eventually. The only other choice is to smash the cap off but that may be eventful too.

Capo
26-08-2011, 08:19 PM
The only other choice is to smash the cap off but that may be eventful too.

Not to mention expensive .

Albie
27-08-2011, 09:18 AM
Not to mention expensive .

We are talking air cooled not the 8v coilsticks. They pop off easy as they generally corrode at front and fall apart inside.
Sure its just a standard plug cap as in not deep seated like the ds. £5 to get a new one