PDA

View Full Version : Ok got a problem I do not get..?!?!

Saint aka ML
24-08-2011, 04:34 AM
This is the second time this has happend.

On first ocassion I have put it down to faulty starter motor despite it giving no signs of dying even 30min before.

Just like last time I had fuel leak from FCR's as floats got stuck, as before it was leaking in to the same area of the bike which is front around starter motor. As I was on the move it was mostly going back. As before I noticed it only when I came to halt at destination mainly as at home bike started first time and on the move it was fine.
Just like last time engine off, noticed petrol quick look revealed that it was possibly floater in carb stuck again. My cure is to disconnect petrol to run it dry and it drops. Did so, pressed start bike fired up instantly and run it till dry then igniton off. Took me about 30s to reconnect petrol and let it fill the fuel line a bit. Pressed start and nothing, just clicking noise from relay. Tried to short the wires to deliver direct feed to starter motor it does not even try to turn.

Any ideas?

Any ideas where a petrol could get in to stop starter motor.

Pomp1
24-08-2011, 05:40 AM
Sure is not the cable? Or the Solenoid? I've also seen the 2 prong bit that goes into the Solenoid go before, worth a check..

Saint aka ML
24-08-2011, 06:45 AM
Sure is not the cable? Or the Solenoid? I've also seen the 2 prong bit that goes into the Solenoid go before, worth a check..

I have linked the two wires that go to selonoid with pliers except loads of sparks starter motor did not even try to turn.

Oh and new symptom is as now I have digital dash when I press starter button selonoid clicks and dash goes off till I release it.

gary tompkins
24-08-2011, 08:21 AM
You must have lifted the tank to disconnect and reconnect fuel supply

My bet is you caused an electrical fault in the process by snagging a wire or connector

Will the engine still bump start?

Saint aka ML
24-08-2011, 08:44 AM
You must have lifted the tank to disconnect and reconnect fuel supply

My bet is you caused an electrical fault in the process by snagging a wire or connector

Will the engine still bump start?

My engine if I could get it to 30 - 40 mph then yes.

As said before I have connected the positive wire from starter motor directly to positive wire from battery and no go.

gary tompkins
24-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Use a multi meter and trouble shoot the starter circuit properly. Running a positive feed to bypass existing loom is feck all use if you have a fault on earth return from motor. If it takes 30mph to bump start the starter motor will struggle as well. It suggests to me there's a lot more wrong with the bike than just the flooding & subsequent starter problem.

I have linked the two wires that go to selonoid with pliers except loads of sparks starter motor did not even try to turn.

Oh and new symptom is as now I have digital dash when I press starter button selonoid clicks and dash goes off till I release it.

Could be a dead short somewhere - have you checked the fuses as one could have popped?

Looks like the wiring loom needs checking out properly especially if it's been cut into/modified or bodged somewhere

Are you sure the battery is charging properly and not going flat?

Saint aka ML
24-08-2011, 05:28 PM
Use a multi meter and trouble shoot the starter circuit properly. Running a positive feed to bypass existing loom is feck all use if you have a fault on earth return from motor. If it takes 30mph to bump start the starter motor will struggle as well. It suggests to me there's a lot more wrong with the bike than just the flooding & subsequent starter problem.

Could be a dead short somewhere - have you checked the fuses as one could have popped?

Looks like the wiring loom needs checking out properly especially if it's been cut into/modified or bodged somewhere

Are you sure the battery is charging properly and not going flat?

Gary I'll get bike back on friday and will check all that. Short would be my first bet except that it was 7 months from last time it did it and as before it was minutes from fine to dead.

30mph might be a bit much it is probably about 20 but still if no hill no go. High comp pistons and big bore are bitch to start cold on bump. Warm no problem.

slob
24-08-2011, 06:04 PM
Do you have a good circuit from the starter (engine cases) back to battery negative?
Could the earth strap by the crankcase breather come adrift?

Saint aka ML
24-08-2011, 07:21 PM
Do you have a good circuit from the starter (engine cases) back to battery negative?
Could the earth strap by the crankcase breather come adrift?

I have earth from rectifier to engine plus one directly from battery to engine and frame so plenty of earths. Took circuit tester to work to see.

Saint aka ML
24-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Ok so little test done as had 10 min.

Battery shows 12.61V with ignition on (no lights just digital dash). As soon as I press starter relay clicks and V drops to 6.2. Now any idea how to test if it is battery or starter motor without having second battery?

Small update

Despite battery dropping to 6V after pressing the starter I managed to get it going.
Rocked the bike back and forward in gear till it went off compression. Then pressed released and pressed quickly multiple times. After about 5th time it made full revolution and fired up. Still no idea if it is battery knackered or starter motor knackered.

Dookbob
05-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Only just seen this post, was the problem the starter brushes or comutater by any chance?

Saint aka ML
05-09-2011, 09:52 PM
None of the above. Petrol and water between starter motor and positive wire making arc and draining battery. When charged was turning over.