PDA

View Full Version : Added some bling this weekend

SunEye
21-08-2011, 06:24 PM
First thing was the Evotech tail tidy and an 8" x 6" number plate. This took a bit of time to install. It's a neat fit. Too neat in fact. Part of the exhaust valve motor touches the tail tidy. A slight adjustment to the exhaust valve motor with a hacksaw and file sorted that problem out. When I fit new indicators in September I'll tidy all the wiring. At the moment it's all coiled up underneath the seat lock mechanism and there's not a lot of room there for it.
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1proFUgq7x2mLB2dBRg6kTQ36ILOThaL8tpgqR--RyHlh_S7O_dsgZNbymRTa3-Pi8Bd4m3Srs-pI/IMG_0124.JPG?psid=1

Then I put on a dark tinted screen from Slingshot Racing in the USA. This required a bit of filing of the screen to make it fit properly. Also three of the holes needed to be enlarged so that they were in the right place. It's still not perfect - there's a slight gap on the left hand side that you can see from the inside. This is partly caused by the curvature of the polycarbonate not matching the curve of the cowling so it's actually under tension when being held in place by the screws. Also where the screen meets the cowl the angle of the surface on the cowl changes from the top to the bottom. The screen edge should be flat at the edges and gradually change to being angled at the bottom. This screen does not do that. I'm not particularly impressed, although it looks fine to the casual observer. I'll see what Slingshot have to say for themselves.
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pqDr31epSayp2uTuf2gIoJgx5YRc5VMq-_Ya8gqUWTCCKKSOOQfpA8JcAxib-9nFOTVlG0CeoJiA/IMG_0121.JPG?psid=1

Then came the Rizoma crash protection for the front wheel and for the frame.
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pyoVA3AH7PK1dJYx-DmBlOBYSGDxBu9TipR0pNhNAED5FIMIb1WMkcfpgY7uzGWeTuG LguHrdvSk/IMG_0122.JPG?psid=1
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pyoVA3AH7PK3putWtZDbE4sI3V3NUduMcC77g5NkEw2RmsfY vrJks5dKmgMt94WO20M_tuu1E4To/IMG_0123.JPG?psid=1

Last were the Rizoma grips and bar ends. I am slightly concerned about the gap between the grips and the bar ends. All of the pictures I've seen show them with about a 1mm gap between them. I'll speak to Moore Speed Racing about them tomorrow, because it doesn't seem right to me.
https://byfiles.storage.live.com/y1pjD6zYYjTlg7vu_k8v6EDmPaYBBimUaQdq7hx20ssImPl1n6 NWqJPeby6PKxkqqq5qVZ13Y0xHtQ/IMG_0125.JPG?psid=1

For all of those hoping to see some carbon fibre I do apologise. In order to save my bank balance I have sworn a vow of no carbon fibre on my bike.

slob
21-08-2011, 07:41 PM
... In order to save my bank balance I have sworn a vow of no carbon fibre on my bike.

Nice cans...

SunEye
21-08-2011, 07:59 PM
Oh, you noticed them?

What I meant to say is that I have sworn a vow "not to add any carbon fibre to my bike" instead of "no carbon fibre" on my bike. My mistake. I knew what I meant.

The cans were already there when I bought the bike and therefore don't count in my vow to not add carbon fibre to my bike.

m40uke
21-08-2011, 08:07 PM
nice, loving the crash bungs,
ild like some like yours for my s4r

Funkatronic
21-08-2011, 10:20 PM
tasty those rizoma crash bungs

are they solis cnc metal or plastic like the r&gs?

found these (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DUCATI-Monster-796-696-695-1100-Front-Fork-Sliders-/160638607631?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2566cea10f#ht_13952wt_1141) on fleabay they look good too and lots cheaper than rizoma

SunEye
21-08-2011, 11:40 PM
The fork sliders and frame protectors are plastic like the R&G ones. On the frame protectors the arm is aluminium.

Unlike a lot of other frame protectors which mount directly onto the end of a bar through the frame these are on an arm. I can only assume that the idea is that if they hit the ground the force isn't directly onto the bar that runs through the frame or the frame itself.

To my eyes they just seem to look a lot nicer and more unobtrusive than any others I have seen. Which is why I bought them. It was solely about the look. That's how shallow I am ;)

SunEye
21-08-2011, 11:51 PM
Just trying to decide what to do about the gap between the grips and the bar ends. I'll need to ride the bike for a while to check that I'm happy with the grips. Once I am I think I'll just cut 8mm-9mm off the end of the bars with a pipe cutter. It should be quite easy. For now I want some form of spacer in the gap. At worst I'll cut an 8mm wide strip off the old grips and use that to fill the gap until I decide what I want to do.

I'm not usually one for changing my mind on a decision, especially if it cost money, so even before I've ridden with the grips I've already convinced myself that I like them and I need to cut the ends off the bars :) It's a philosophy we use at work "If at first something is an unmitigated disaster ..... carry on regardless"

buzzbomb
22-08-2011, 03:45 AM
The fork sliders and frame protectors are plastic like the R&G ones. On the frame protectors the arm is aluminium.

To my eyes they just seem to look a lot nicer and more unobtrusive than any others I have seen. Which is why I bought them. It was solely about the look. That's how shallow I am ;)

If you want eye candy and protection theres an even nicer option from rizoma in the winglet design, they use the same fixing (long threaded bar through the frame and engine) but also extend up the frame. Now to the grips, I've fitted those to quite afew bikes without your problem but I've also cut bars down 10-15mm off both ends (at the owner request) so don't worry just go ahead and do it, hope this is of some help...Geoff

BTW... Colin Moore..."Top Guy"

SunEye
22-08-2011, 09:04 AM
If you want eye candy and protection theres an even nicer option from rizoma in the winglet design
Yes I think they call it the Engine Guard "Shape". It does look good, but I decided not to go with that because I didn't want a black piece of plastic against the red frame. I thought that it wasn't asthetically pleasing to my eye. I did say I was shallow ;) The extra £70 they cost may have played a part as well ;)

J.P
22-08-2011, 09:08 AM
All nice little touches Pete.
But with the tailtidy getting rid of the tea tray, where are you going to put your new UKMOC Mug ?!?!?!?

SunEye
22-08-2011, 09:10 AM
Just spoke to Moore Speed Racing. They are going to send me a couple of plastic spacers to fit between the grips and the bar ends - that's nice of them, they didn't have to do anything. Apparently it's not an unknown issue with the Rizoma grips, but it is one that Rizoma don't acknowledge and therefore they don't make any spacers for.

SunEye
22-08-2011, 09:20 AM
J.P,
I had to remove the tea tray to prevent the temptation of putting my new UKMOC mug there whilst working on the bike. That would only have ended badly.

My new UKMOC mug will be encased in 1 inch thick polycarbonate (in case Clint Eastwood tries to fire a .357 Magnum at it) and surrounded by a sophisticated security system a la Raiders of the Lost Ark. That should keep it safe from the harm that I am likely to wreak upon it should I ever try to make a cup of coffee in it.