PDA

View Full Version : Almost thrown off

littlejimmy12
21-08-2011, 05:56 PM
Very close call today.

Pulled out of drive way and thank god this happed as I tootled down the road, my bike suddenly came to an abrupt deceleration and threw me into the tank very hard.

I pulled over and upon careful inspection the oil level was very low - I missed the oil light like an idiot!!

I have no oil leeks anywhere and it was serviced 3 months ago, what could have caused this radical loss of oil happen in such a short space of time?

I'm guessing this is not good news and something serious is on the way out!.

background - S4 02, modified exhaust more or less open pipe, 996 ST engine in there to replace the 916 which has done 12k. Belts are due now.

cheers folks

Albie
21-08-2011, 06:56 PM
So is this on a level surface. Is the bike kind of seized as in you cannot turn it over. Have you taken the belt covers off to check not snapped.

Hope your nadgers are OK as been there done that and ended up in surgery when on my GT200 x5

littlejimmy12
21-08-2011, 07:04 PM
So is this on a level surface. Is the bike kind of seized as in you cannot turn it over. Have you taken the belt covers off to check not snapped.

Hope your nadgers are OK as been there done that and ended up in surgery when on my GT200 x5

Forget to mention I filled it back up with oil and its now running as normal - my concern is what caused it to loose all that all in such a short period. No doubt the loss of all was making it almost seize. I rescued the situation in time and now she's fine.

I jus want to find the route cause to prevent it again.

Any ideas

Rally
21-08-2011, 07:26 PM
Loose oil filter, burning oil when running or valve guides if no obvious leaks elsewhere?

littlejimmy12
21-08-2011, 07:54 PM
No obvious leaks anywhere! my casing were painted 3 months ago and I'd notice any oil.

rac3r
21-08-2011, 08:06 PM
So you can't seen any oil where it was parked or anything?

Oil thief!

littlejimmy12
21-08-2011, 08:16 PM
So you can't seen any oil where it was parked or anything?

Oil thief!

100% not an oil leak, sump is clean as a whistle and there;s no residue on the rear tyre, no oil around filter.

Saint aka ML
21-08-2011, 08:38 PM
Who did a service maybe they did not put enough? Barely on limit and those bikes burn some oil.

littlejimmy12
21-08-2011, 08:50 PM
Who did a service maybe they did not put enough? Barely on limit and those bikes burn some oil.

ha ha me and simons did it - maybe this was it! I'll drain it this week and then put in the manual guide amount and go from there