PDA

View Full Version : tyre recommendation please

alastairS2R
21-08-2011, 11:27 AM
Can anyone recommend tyres that work on my S2R 1000 please?

My rear tyre is down to the wear marks, (original tyre, done 4000 miles) but I can't afford or I'm not sure I need to pay that much for the recommended Dunlop Road/Sport Smart tyres the local Ducati dealer is suggesting.

I do mainly town riding, commuting, with an occasional longer run and very occasional track day. I have a discernible but narrow chicken strip on the current rear. Tend not to ride in wet conditions unless caught out.

Are there any tyres I should avoid? Should I just replace the rear for another Bridgestone BT014 R?

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks

Starter Sprag
21-08-2011, 12:27 PM
I'd stick to the dunlop recommendation, not cheap, but for a reason

Martin Duke
21-08-2011, 12:42 PM
Can anyone recommend tyres that work on my S2R 1000 please?

My rear tyre is down to the wear marks, (original tyre, done 4000 miles) but I can't afford or I'm not sure I need to pay that much for the recommended Dunlop Road/Sport Smart tyres the local Ducati dealer is suggesting.

I do mainly town riding, commuting, with an occasional longer run and very occasional track day. I have a discernible but narrow chicken strip on the current rear. Tend not to ride in wet conditions unless caught out.

Are there any tyres I should avoid? Should I just replace the rear for another Bridgestone BT014 R?

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks
I would also go with the Dunlop Roadsmart - I have just fitted a pair to my S2r 800, replacing the OE Pirelli
Diablo. Prior to that had two sets on a Cagiva Raptor. Good tyres - feel very secure in all conditions and they last well.

Mr.Number
21-08-2011, 01:35 PM
Why did he/she recommend dunlop ?

BT023's, heres my reasons.

Excellent durability, is up there with any tyre you can get for mileage.
Grip gives confidence in dry or wet.
its an all round tyre that will perform for the uses you have given.

The only other tyre I would consider is the michelin.

rollo22
21-08-2011, 03:25 PM
I run Maxxis super sport look like a cut slick
No problems at all good in dry and wet
Very reasonably priced £105 for a rear fitted 180/55/17

Qba
21-08-2011, 05:20 PM
Gary T is a prophet!!! :hail: I would go for Michelin Road Pilot 3 :)

Mohawk
21-08-2011, 08:32 PM
Garry T is a prophet!!! :hail: I would go for Michelin Road Pilot 3 :)

I've just fitted these on my bike and am very happy with them.

gary tompkins
21-08-2011, 10:08 PM
How lucky I am to live near the Dartford bridge

Suddenly feeling the need to jump off it :grump:

jerry
23-08-2011, 01:47 PM
roadsmarts or sportsmarts are currently the best tyres out there for normal riding .

neilo
23-08-2011, 02:18 PM
My EVO came with Pirelli Diablo Rosso IIs, and I cannot fault them one bit. I've been almost all the way over already, and they're as stable as anything I've used before...:thumbsup:

cairojay
24-08-2011, 02:54 PM
I'd say advice is not much good, tyres are such are personal choice and can be affected by so many factors; people run them at different pressures, have different riding styles and ride in different conditions. All I know is I have run mine on Pirelli's, Michelins; Bridgestones and Dunlops and to be fair I haven't noticed that much of a difference in any of them, I have no chicken strips on the rear, but by no means am I a mentalist! I think that tyre technologies for road tyres run very close and we all tend to get excited by a new make or range...I'd suggest you stick with what you're comfortable with and what you trust. If you decide to change brand I would say you're not really sticking your neck out that much and if you don't like them you can always change back after you've worn them out on a couple of track days!

Just one recommendation and I'm probably telling you what you already know so forgive me in advance!
Always make sure you have the same brand and type front and rear. That much I do know!

gary tompkins
24-08-2011, 03:24 PM
Black round ones seem to work ok for me

Char
24-08-2011, 03:42 PM
Gary, I'll buy you a pint

J.P
24-08-2011, 04:41 PM
I think he'll need a pint of Cherry Beer.

gary tompkins
24-08-2011, 11:08 PM
All we need now is for someone to start another "how many miles to a tank?" thread

Roll on MOB weekend - Last one to the Boeskel magic fridge is a pussy :booze:

utopia
25-08-2011, 11:32 AM
In my opinion, the best rubber-soled shoes for climbing the Dartford bridge are the new pirellis.....:look:

bialbero
25-08-2011, 12:04 PM
"how many miles to a tank?"

What if I could find the hardest compounds in the world and pump both tyres up to let's say 120psi would this have a considerable effect on "how many miles to a tank?" I could get?

gary tompkins
25-08-2011, 03:06 PM
Perhaps I could start a poll

Top ten most soul destroying UKMOC thread titles

1. What are the best tyres for my bike?

2. How many miles to a tank?

3. How much to insure my monster?

4. What chain lube should I buy?

5. My bike's been sat in the garage all winter and now won't start.. help!

6... etc

bialbero
25-08-2011, 03:17 PM
go on then!!

and don't forget what oil should I use

craigie
25-08-2011, 07:57 PM
Perhaps I could start a poll

Top ten most soul destroying UKMOC thread titles

But that would be like writing in to Points of View and being ridiculed with a ludicrous voice reading a ridiculous complaint instead of not watching the programme in the first place, no?