PDA

View Full Version : M900ie Warm running issues - snachy + miss fires

Xenocide
16-08-2011, 06:21 PM
Hi Guys + Girls,

I really hope you can help :(.

After my thread the other day (http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=42098) i checked my valve clearances and found them all out by a bit, no biggy. Since then I've ridden the bike and there seems to be some big problems.

The bike misfires at low rpm/throttle inputs
The bike will be down on power at low throttle openings up to about 5k then take off as normal
The bike sometimes (at ~40% throttle) rev up to 7k then stick there (competly constant RPM) until the throttle position changes
The RPM needle isn't smooth. It'll jump around.

Any ideas? What can I check? Plugs are done up tight enough, I've rewound the ends on the ht leads + checked for cracks.

I'm not sure checking the clearances and this are related but thought i'd best put it in anyway.

Any help gratefully received :)

Starter Sprag
16-08-2011, 07:08 PM
Check and clean, the TPS plug & pins ~ L/H side near to frame
Check and clean the OIL temp sensor plug & pins ~ Horizontal cylinder behind oil cooler
Check exhaust bolts on heads for tightness

The air, oil, and fuel filters should be clean
The battery should be 12.6V when at rest, Check ALL battery leads

Although the valve clearances are within spec, the bike runs better with tighter settings

rollo22
16-08-2011, 07:20 PM
The TPS will probably need checking simple at a dealer or local service man

Saint aka ML
16-08-2011, 07:46 PM
Did you remove belts when you were checking valve clearances if so check if one or both of the belts are not out by 1 tooth.

Xenocide
25-08-2011, 09:36 PM
Hi Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I didn't get a notification from the forum :(. Sorry to appear rude!! :(

Thanks for your suggestions (although I didn't see it). I took it to Louigi Moto and asked him to do the clearances, Everything was out by a bit, the half rings were smashed to bits and one closer (on the vertical cylinder I think) was WAY out. The belts were slack, there was fuel pressure issues from a clogged filter, something wrong with the clutch, and the biggy was the oil temp sensor was reading -27.. when it was like 18 in the workshop. So Rich has sorted it all out and I get it back on Saturday.

So there you are, stupid sensor.

I'm so impressed by Rich @ Louigi. We were talking for about an hour when I dropped the bike off, he showed me his piston collection, all very impressive.

If you read this, thank you so much for your help Rich. I really really appreciate it!

Thanks again for your suggestions guys :)

gary tompkins
25-08-2011, 11:42 PM
The duff engine temp sensor is fairly common

Seen 1/2 a dozen 900ies with this fault including my own