PDA

View Full Version : M696 flat battery

SBAbruzzo
15-08-2011, 07:24 PM
Flat battery this morning, which was a shame as it's a public holiday and the roads were empty. The reading was 11.5 volts, which was just enough to make a clicking sound. It started just fine after about 3-hours charging. Is it normal for the battery to go flat like that? I rode it to work three times last week (about 18 kms each way) and there was little sitting in traffic, but I rarely get above about 60 km/h.

P.S. Some git knocked it over in the garage at work, I am assuming this has nothing to do with it?

snakey
16-08-2011, 08:20 AM
I would take a look at the electrolite level and check it's ok after the bike has been over as some might have spilt out. by the lengths of your journey and speed that you are traveling i would say that the battery is not charging up after the amount of juice the starter motor takes out of it. it would be a good idea to get hold of an optimizer to leave plugged in when the bike is not in use.
Pete.

throstle
17-08-2011, 01:04 PM
Just tried to start mine and same thing. 12.2v and no life. I am on my 2nd 696 and 4th battery in 18mths. It is always on trickle charge and does 20-40 mile journeys each way 3 times a week. Getting sick of it. Not like it's an easy job to change or even check the battery output. Which bright spark decided to put the battery where you have to virtually dismantle the bike to get at it.

On a connected note, is there any way to jump the battery without having to take the tank off? Can you fit a lead like the trickle charger lead to jump from? Also, would bump starting the bike be possible and if so would if damage the ecu etc?

SBAbruzzo
17-08-2011, 08:20 PM
Throstle, my research from today and reading some other threads...... Jump starting is difficult (not possible?) due to the slipper clutch, can't verify this though. It is easy to connect a lead to the battery that allows connection to a Ctek Multi XS 3600 charger (I have done this), a convenient lead comes with this charger that allows easy connection without removing the fuel tank. The Ctek can be plugged-in for extended periods without damaging the battery, whereas a regular charger might cause damage. There are reviews of the Ctek on other threads and they are good, it's not expensive.

I was at the garage today and they said my battery was knackered. No amount of charging got it above about 12.5 volts (just enough for one start if you are lucky) and even after a good run it would not start again immediately after switching off the ignition. I have forgotten the type of battery that comes with the bike (I think they said gel?), but the chap at the workshop said that in his experience it's a good powerful battery and recommended that I replace it with the same, which I did. They also said that a sharp knock (like the bike falling over, which happened to mine) could break something inside the battery that would stop it charging. I am assuming that the actual charging of the battery is not my problem, but the voltage of the new battery increased a little after the bike was started so I suppose this is a good sign. I shall know in the coming days. Anyway, I now have about 13.5 volts. Have you tried checking your voltage before and after starting the engine?

throstle
20-08-2011, 09:47 PM
SBAbruzzo,

I have a ctek and it's always connected to bike. This has always been enough in the past. Then last wednesday something unknown went awry.

The next day she started 1st time no problem. I have no clue why it was showing 12.2v and then the next day 14+.

I checked out forums here and in the states (where I lived for 18yrs) and the battery problem is definately a problem.

It just makes ownership that little bit troublesome and frustrating. You wonder what little niggle will surface next.

throstle
23-08-2011, 05:59 PM
Just heard from my local Ducati dealer, that trickle chargers aren't good for gel batteries.

The Ducati dealer who sold me my 1st Monster said that trickle chargers were essential.

Go figure.

snakey
24-08-2011, 08:36 AM
Just heard from my local Ducati dealer, that trickle chargers aren't good for gel batteries.

The Ducati dealer who sold me my 1st Monster said that trickle chargers were essential.

Go figure.

different batteries need different types of charger the trickle charger works well with the old lead acid type

Gilps
24-08-2011, 09:06 AM

Go figure.

You need a proper multi-stage charger like an Optimate or CTEK. A regular trickle charger will just keep applying a charge, albeit a low one, and will keep going until the battery is cooked. An intelligent one will switch to maintenance mode when it's fully charged, then monitor it regualrly. The CTEK XS3600 is the one I would recommend.

throstle
24-08-2011, 06:58 PM
It is the CTEK

Albie
24-08-2011, 07:17 PM
I have no problem with the M1100. Always cranks over. Admittedly its in a garage but I dont have it on a charger. I do think my optimates given up though. It wont seem to charge the ss600. I may have to look at a new one

Banus
28-08-2011, 09:37 AM
Had my 696 for 2 1/2 years and it's been on an Optimate trickle charger for the whole time. Never any problem starting it and it rarely gets used.

THe problem is that if you speak to 5 different people you usually get 5 different 'expert' opinions.