PDA

View Full Version : s4 flat battery

littlejimmy12
15-08-2011, 05:43 PM
more a moan than a why

my s4 is flat yet again, due to short little town runs and infrequent use. It seems that unless she gets a pounding every day to work (6 miles) she throws a tantrum.

this is really annoying, is it just a case of all 'older' monsters should be sold with a trickle charge!!!!!

rac3r
15-08-2011, 05:46 PM
My uncle took his GSXR out today and it didn't start, charged for 5 mins it started and off he went. Stopped at his destination went to start it again but ended up having to wait for the RAC :D

Have you got an alarm on yours? I was thinking of fitting HID's to mine but with that and the alarm I think it might struggle to start unless I ride it everyday like it's meant to be! Already takes a few seconds

littlejimmy12
15-08-2011, 06:55 PM
no alarm as such, but I have 2 disk locks that are alarmed

slipperyweeguy
15-08-2011, 07:43 PM
Since I fixed the wiring on the S4 it holds battery charge much much better, runs properly, and provides good battery charging even at idle with lights on. The battery is over three years old.

animaluk
15-08-2011, 11:09 PM
more a moan than a why

my s4 is flat yet again, due to short little town runs and infrequent use. It seems that unless she gets a pounding every day to work (6 miles) she throws a tantrum.

this is really annoying, is it just a case of all 'older' monsters should be sold with a trickle charge!!!!!

mine did this for ages turns out it was a rectifier on the way out

mintyhit
16-08-2011, 11:23 AM
I've got a spare battery if you need it - I changed mine but discovered my starter was to blame, it is only 3 - 4 months old.

Phatty
16-08-2011, 11:31 AM
Check the battery earth strap where it mounts to the back of the crank case on the drivers side. mine worked loose and caused flat battery and starting issues.

Word of warngin, if it seems flat and won't crank don't keep trying the starter button, if that bolt is loose of the strap has corroded then the next earth path of rthe circuit os the side stand wiring, which will burn out if you're not careful. Well, that's what happened on mine!

i rebuild that loom and tightned the earth strap bolt and it's never missed a beat or let me down since, even when stood for 6 months it still started on the button.

gary tompkins
17-08-2011, 12:46 PM
Cranking for to long can also weld the solenoid contacts shut

The Starter will then run continuously until it either burns out or you can disconnect battery

PaulR
24-09-2011, 09:26 AM
Check the regulator - if it's knackered or failing, I've got a spare one for an S4 which you can have.
P