PDA

View Full Version : Question about tank panel fairing spacers

neilo
11-08-2011, 12:59 PM
Having recently taken my tank off (on my 1100evo) to re-route an optimate lead, I noticed that the bottom part of each tank panel was missing the little metal spacers that stop the plastic from being crushed by the M5 bolt (upon tightening). This was on both sides.

So my question is: Did your bike come with these little metal spacers? Or was it just my bike? If your bike didn't come with them, what do you do to stop the plastic from being crushed by the M5 bolt?

neilo
15-08-2011, 03:38 PM
So it was just my bike then? :grump:

Rally
15-08-2011, 05:43 PM
All the holes have either a spacer or a insert stuck from the underneath into the plastic. They do drop out though!

MrsC_772
15-08-2011, 07:05 PM
I've lost track of how many of the bolts that hold my tank panels on my M696 have fallen out and been lost. I do have the little spacers, but they don't seem to do a good job of holding in the bolts.

neilo
16-08-2011, 09:15 AM
Okay, so I've ordered a few spacers (including some spares) and fairing bolts for the future, and some 'Loctite All Plastics' to make sure the spacers stay on! :D

Albie
16-08-2011, 04:16 PM
I never realised about the little spacers until Rally took his off the other day when we swapped panels. To be honest they dont matter. I will be honest and reckon you will lose them at some point again if not at a service. I have also replaced the cheese made black bolts with stainless button head bolts any how. Probably as cheap for 10 as your one replace lost ducati bolts. Kept them as spares in the event.

neilo
17-08-2011, 10:36 AM
My real concern is about the stress they place on the plastic panel (if the spacers aren't used), and I'm worried the panel will crack (at the hole) through vibration/over-tightening... Has anybody suffered such a thing? Would such a thing be covered by the warranty?

Rally
17-08-2011, 11:12 AM
I wouldn't of thought that warranty would cover it unless you could prove the spacers were missing from new and you had never worked on it yourself (Which would be impossible to do!). If they are missing now, ask for some under warranty to stop the panels maybe cracking in the future. Just be careful not to loose them when working on the bike.

Warranty is for 'Design or manufacturing errors or failures'.

Albie
17-08-2011, 02:49 PM
My real concern is about the stress they place on the plastic panel (if the spacers aren't used), and I'm worried the panel will crack (at the hole) through vibration/over-tightening... Has anybody suffered such a thing? Would such a thing be covered by the warranty?

Fibre washers or rubber washers.