PDA

View Full Version : Monster 600 - what is that nasty metallic sound

Madgadget
07-08-2011, 08:13 PM
Hi All,

This is my first posting here, so I must apologise for the length of it, but I've been trying to solve a particularly tricky problem.

I've been bitten by the monster bug several times now, the first was a rebuild of a rather shabby looking M600 1995 model year (which I will be posting up some pictures of the rebuild shortly) and the second was a recent purchase of a really sweet sounding 696+ with termi's :)

The M600 has been running well and shifts up and down quite nicely, and has a good turn of power about it, however, it's just started to develop a rather nasty sounding metallic knocking/ticking. This ticking doesn't immediately appear when started from cold, but comes in after about 5 seconds and then continues until the engine is warm, where it quietens down.

I've done a number of tests on the engine, checked the oil for signs of swarf, foreign particles etc, the engine did have that commonly occurring loose alternator nut which has now been tightened up, but it's still got a ticking/knocking sound.

It appears to be coming from the horizontal cylinder as far as I can tell using a stethoscope. I've checked the valve clearances on this cylinder and they are within the normal tolerances (inlet 3-4 thou on the opener, 6-7.5 thou on the closer, Exhaust 2 thou on the opener and 4-6 thou on the closer - which according to the book is a little on the high side, but not too much).

So, I'm left with either a fuel problem, although the plugs seems on the dark grey/black side, not light brown and not oily, a big end going (but nothing obvious in the oil filter etc) or a piston slap problem- from what I have picked up from reading through previous postings.

I've got an MP3 of where the sound is most prominent: http://www.ps-l.com/monster/Monster%20600%20metallic%20sound.mp3

Anyone heard this before?

I'm toying with having to strip the engine completely down thinking it's either piston slap or replacing the main bearings, or should I just by a second hand motor off of fleabay....?

The thing is, the engine pulls fine, the compression is good, and it goes well. In the rebuild of the bike, I did put in a new washable filter and cleaned down the carbs, and the only thing different from the norm is that I replaced the rusted old exhaust cans with some sweet 696 cans - would that have meant that the fuel is now lean? although the plugs don't show anything odd about them.

Any help, or guidance greatly received as I am pulling my hair out here !! :(

Albie
07-08-2011, 08:47 PM
Dont worry and dont panic for now. " They all do that eventually " the little 600. Yes its the metallic ringing of the horizontal cylinder.
Why ! probably because the weight of the horizontal piston is heavy and wears , whereas the vertical lifts evenly.

My little 600ss has a slight tone with service history and 16,000 miles but nothing more than that. Others have asked the question and never heard any horror storys after. Pop in to a reputable Ducati service centre independant or official if you feel worried.

Madgadget
07-08-2011, 09:28 PM
Hi Albie, wow, thanks for replying so quickly and really appreciate your thoughts.

It's been bugging me for ages, ever since rebuilding, it's been going well, but then the sound came along :(

I'm going to try and pop over to Rich at Louigi Moto (great guy) to have a look, but I was worried that if I keep running it, it is going to implode on itself....

It runs really nicely on the road and when I get the write up on the build uploaded, you'll see that it was a transformation from a dead dog to a nice monster :)

johnboy44
13-08-2011, 07:40 AM
I got a M600 Ive just rebuild/repainted, it has a very similar knock, the engine looked good so i only replaced the belts, filters and gaskets, then check the valve clearances (which were good) but I did strip and paint the head and barrels, my noise is definately from the vert cylinder and there is no way that is normal !!!! so back to the garage I will let u know if I get any success

Madgadget
13-08-2011, 11:18 AM
Hi Johnboy44,

We, I agree it doesn't sound nice, but this bike has just saved my bacon, my other monster gearbox just seized in 4th gearbox, so had to limp home and use this beast and she goes just fine and once warmed up, the noise pretty much goes.....

I'm pretty convinced it not the bearings, but piston slap ..

I was toying with buying a new cylinder head and piston for the horizontal cylinder, but still researching.

I'd love to know how you get on ... and I'll update when I find more info ...

Cheers

johnboy44
14-08-2011, 08:11 PM
I think im sorted, discovered the ht coil was breaking down once the coil was replaced 80% of the rattle disappeared still got some carb problems to look at ready for mot next sat

Madgadget
14-08-2011, 08:42 PM
Hmmm, now that is interesting, I hadn't thought about the coils, I thought at one point it might be fuelling as I changed the air filter to be more free flowing and fitted new 696 exhaust cans, but didn't think about ignition....

How did you find out? was it the spark strength ... although how do you measure that?? brightness of spark perhaps?