PDA

View Full Version : Anodizing Forks

rac3r
06-08-2011, 11:06 PM
Has anyone had their forks anodized before? If so how much did it cost and where would you guys recommend?

Mr Gremlin
07-08-2011, 08:13 AM
i do forks
anodising (http://www.customanodising.com)

Yorkie
07-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Mr G did the anodizing on a set of my forks, great quality and a friendly bloke to boot, just a shame i moved a little too far away to drop in on him easily again.

I think he has also done some work on Hellcat's Monster. (Its all about bling for that girl!!)

Yorkie

Dukedesmo
07-08-2011, 10:19 AM
i do forks

:thumbsup: Some interesting work on there, I didn't know graphics could be anodised like that.

May be an option for my swingarm - single colour that is, as I'm not too happy with the appearance due to having done some weld/repairs and losing the original finish.

I assume aondising is harder wearing than paint?

rac3r
07-08-2011, 10:29 AM
i do forks

Awesome! I will be in touch when I'm ready. That's some really good work there :cool:

He11cat
07-08-2011, 10:43 PM
I saw Yorkies forks at Mr G's they where very yummy!
He has done some nice bits for me as well :)

Mr Gremlin
10-08-2011, 09:52 AM
:thumbsup: Some interesting work on there, I didn't know graphics could be anodised like that.

May be an option for my swingarm - single colour that is, as I'm not too happy with the appearance due to having done some weld/repairs and losing the original finish.

I assume aondising is harder wearing than paint?

in answer your questions, anodise itself is just under diamonds in the hardness stakes. its hydrated aluminium oxide (think sand paper and grinding disks :) ) the issue with swingarms and welds etc is that as the anodic layer grows its always perpendicular to the surface, so in tight corners and irregular bits like weld under cuts etc the layer collides with the layer growing on the opposite surface. this in itself isnt a problem, but when it comes to colouring, it is as the pores are concealed and cannot accept the dye so white lines etc. also this can trap the sulphuric acid in the join which over time can cause weld embrittlement and corrosion. also its nearly impossible to clean the inside of any tubes that are sealed at both ends unless drain holes are machined in.
Anodising does not cover any imperfections, if anything it exaggerates them :( so make sure your swing arm is prepared so that all surfaces have the same texture. the best way of doing this is to firstly polish the part until it looks all nice and shiny, then to very very lightly bead blast to matt back the surface. heavy blasting will cause surface irregularities and a horrible looking finish after anodising.
chromic anodising will be your best option as the solution does not corrode aluminium like sulphuric does. this is something i dont do as it involves very nasty substances . search google for chromic anodising, there are a few companies left in the uk still doing it, but new rules and laws are making for fewer companies doing this method.

Clive

Dukedesmo
10-08-2011, 10:21 AM
interesting tech stuff about aonodising...

Thanks for the info, maybe anodising's not the best finish for a swingarm then? as there are lots of welds, angles and corners.

I'll look into what to do with it but keep you in my 'favorites' for any future anodising. :thumbsup:

rac3r
10-08-2011, 11:11 AM
I would just get the swing arm powder coated it would be easier and cheaper. Check out triple s coating