PDA

View Full Version : S2R 1000 starter motor - do any others fit?

Shuffy
05-08-2011, 09:19 AM
As it looks like the starter motor on my S2R 1000 is toast (Battery fine, solenoid OK, 12 volts getting to the motor, main earth OK), I was wondering if any others fit? I know it's the same one as a Multistrada/Sport Classic etc but I can't seem to find a good second hand one or aftermarket replacement. I know Electrex World do aftermarket ones for the 600/900 but don't list my bike as an option, although someone told me yesterday that they are virtually the same, can anyone verify that? I did the ring them, but the guy on the phone just read the same info out from the website and didn't seem too knowledgable. The cost of a new one is £260 and I may well have to order one in from the factory and bearing in mind it's August I might not see it until Christmas!

So starter motor experts are there any other options or is it an expensive long wait?

Shuffy
05-08-2011, 09:30 AM
CORRECTION: My new starter motor is £360! Ouch!!

mintyhit
05-08-2011, 10:02 AM
I've got my old burnt out S4 starter - you are very welcome to compare it to yours if you like. I'm in Islington.

It could just be the gear that is different – I had to swap the gear on the Electrex World one for my old one anyway.

mintyhit
05-08-2011, 10:10 AM
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6003/6010825221_f94a222c9d_m.jpg

Left: Gear supplied with starter
Right: Original S4 gear

Shuffy
05-08-2011, 01:16 PM
Hi James

That's very kind of you, but mine's still attached to the bike so comparison might be tricky. On the face of it it looks very similar and I assumed I'd have to change the gear, but I'd hate to order one only to find it won't fit. Was yours listed or did they know it would fit? I don't suppose you have the part number on the original motor do you? The Electrex route is my preferred option as I've used them before and it's a third of the price, I just need to know if it fit's!

mintyhit
05-08-2011, 02:24 PM
Hmmm, ok so my research reveals the following:

The 2002 S4 starter part number is 270.4.001.1A (shared by quite a few pre-2004 monsters)

The 2007 S2R1000 part number is 270.4.005.1A

According to http://www.ducatiomaha.com/products.asp
(OEM parts pdf thing)

So we can assume something about them is different but it is impossible to tell if it is just the gear or perhaps the bolt locations or even the fitting\diameter.

I’d say first call EW and see if they can advise you if it will fit or not… if not then perhaps a direct comparison might the only way – I think the chances of them being interchangeable is pretty high but I also wouldn’t risk ordering until you are sure.

Have you thought about just doing the bush kit? This might be doable without removing the starter - managed to get the back off mine with some effort.

Shuffy
05-08-2011, 03:00 PM
That's brilliant, thank you. As you say the part numbers are different which makes me a bit suspicious. I did phone EW and the guy just looked up on the website listing and said they don't do it, but I guess that's not to say that the other one doesn't fit, but then again I don't want order one until I'm certain.

I did think about the brushes but slightly assumed you had to remove the whole starter to get to them (and I heard it was a nightmare to do). Was it reasonably easy to do in situ then, is it a case of removing the outer cover to get at them? For the price of a brush kit it might be worth a go, where did you get yours from, I did notice Wemoto did them, but I guess you can get them from Ducati as well.

mintyhit
05-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Originally I had planned just to do the brushes but once I got the back off the starter I found my communicator to be all chewed up so I didn’t bother and just changed the entire motor.

Here is my thread with pictures of my damaged communicator:
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=41745&highlight=starter

Getting the back of the starter off wasn’t too hard on my S4 so I assume things will be similar on yours –The right hand bolt was fine however I had to remove the oil cooler bolt to gain access to the left hand bolt. I also I used a cut down socket (basically I just ground a small socket down to about half it’s usual depth on my angle grinder to fit it in).

You can only remove the back casing and the brush assembly the rest is all held in place by the gear at the other end. I read somewhere that if you pull on the communicator or the casing it might leak some oil into it so best be gentle getting the back off.

I think also you have to use paperclips or something to hold the new brushes back until the assembly is in place – I am sure you can find a better source of information that me on this.

I hope this helps – best of luck and give me a shout if you change your mind and want my old starter.

James

Shuffy
05-08-2011, 03:43 PM
Many thanks James, that's really helpful of you, I'll let you know how it all goes and thanks for the offer of the old starter.

Gadget
05-08-2011, 04:40 PM
Hi Shuffy,
I did the job on my 600 when I first got it. I was bump starting it for a couple of months till I sorted the problem. At the time I read about the paper clip business to hold things in place but never needed to do it. I was just careful taking the motor apart and put the new brushes in the way the old ones came out. I had all sorts of grief though, getting the Swiss cheese engine bolt out of the starter on the outside of the engine. The 1 on the inside came out as you would expect of a quality built piece of machinery. The 600 ran for over 30K with only the 1 bolt in the end. The cheesy one is still 1/2 in 1/2 out of the motor.

Shuffy
08-08-2011, 03:35 PM
Hi Garry
That sounds like a nightmare!! Alec at Ducati Proteam is pretty certain an Electrex World one fits, so it's fingers (and wallet) crossed. I'll let you know how it pans out in the end.

Shuffy
31-08-2011, 10:37 AM
Well she lives!! Due to a lack of time and electrical talent, I got the ever helpful and brilliant Alec at Ducati Proteam (http://www.ducatiproteam.co.uk) to sort it out.

The good news is the it looks like an Electrex World starter motor fits pretty well most Ducatis. The main difference is mine had an additional lug on the outside, which the new one didn't have, but the internal mounting holes were the same. And the best bit is the price, less than a third of the price of the factory part (£360). Alec very kindly ordered one from their ebay shop (£99 including delivery), which oddly enough is £44 cheaper than their own website!! The bottom line is it seems to work fine.

Anyway, a very big thanks to Alec who clearly took pity on my post tax bill state of poverty, and charged very little for sorting it out, despite being very busy at the time. As ever, highly recommended, give him a shout if you need a problem sorting 01634 711556.

J.P
31-08-2011, 10:41 AM
Glad you'll be able to join us in Belgium. Wouldn't be the same without you.

alan c
31-08-2011, 10:51 AM

You Crawler !

mintyhit
31-08-2011, 10:53 AM
Glad you got it sorted mate and that’s really useful information for anyone suffering from a failing starter.

I’ve been using that Electrex World unit for well over a month now (I use my bike everyday) and my bike as simply never started better.

Shuffy
31-08-2011, 11:14 AM

Well someone has to go behind you and pick your panniers...;)

Shuffy
31-08-2011, 11:28 AM
Glad you got it sorted mate and that’s really useful information for anyone suffering from a failing starter.

I’ve been using that Electrex World unit for well over a month now (I use my bike everyday) and my bike as simply never started better.

Thanks James, that's really good to know. I've bought from them before (although not a starter motor) and they seem a good, reliable company.

J.P
31-08-2011, 02:58 PM
Well someone has to go behind you and pick your panniers...;)

That's what Jeeves is for !