PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Diagram

PDS
01-08-2011, 07:35 PM
I have just bought some friction plates off ebay for my ducati 2001 S4, firstly they are actually wider than the plates currently on the bike, which always raises a few concerns :) there are 8 in the kit and 8 on the bike currently but the 8 new friction plates will not fit. i was going for a cheaper option but looks like it might be a bad option :)

I have read that some 916's run with 7 friction plates and others 8 but these are the sps models etc ( i may be wrong)

Anyway does any one have a diagram, and also a bit of insight of what goes where.

any help would be much appreciated

cheers

Phil

uksurfer
01-08-2011, 07:46 PM
i think there the ones i used on mine, i had one leftover.....

they worked fine whilst i had the bike - which i dont anymore
i paid about £90 for the set, without the steel plates

Stafford
01-08-2011, 08:02 PM
From memory two steel at the back then a friction then the dished plate (cone points in) then friction/steel till the end. IIR you're after a stack in total of 38.5mm adjusted with differing steel plates. ( I need to check the 38.5mm but the garage is now out of bounds after wine. )

bmaughan
01-08-2011, 09:21 PM
http://i458.photobucket.com/albums/qq302/bmaughan2265/clucth.jpg

This is the one on the s4r

PDS
01-08-2011, 09:23 PM
Thanks for the prompt replys, i shall have another look tomorrow, .....................

PDS
02-08-2011, 12:49 PM
Right i have managed to fiddle it together!, I don't seem to have a dish plate, it looks like the clutch has been fiddled together in the past as one friction plate was slightly thicker than the other 7 on the set that came out.

Personally I would not recommend buying just a set of friction plates from ebay, as it has turned a 20 minute job into a bit of a pain in the backside, especially as the seller suddenly can't understand english and no instructions were forth coming, silly me for thinking it would be straight forward.

but at present its gets me out of a hole and on the road :) which is the main thing

thanks for your input guys much appreciated

phil

Stafford
02-08-2011, 01:01 PM
Right i have managed to fiddle it together!, I don't seem to have a dish plate, it looks like the clutch has been fiddled together in the past as one friction plate was slightly thicker than the other 7 on the set that came out.

Personally I would not recommend buying just a set of friction plates from ebay, as it has turned a 20 minute job into a bit of a pain in the backside, especially as the seller suddenly can't understand english and no instructions were forth coming, silly me for thinking it would be straight forward.

but at present its gets me out of a hole and on the road :) which is the main thing

thanks for your input guys much appreciated

phil

The dish plate helps you have a smoother action when pulling away so it's better to have one, available for about £11.
Some of the steel plates are differing thickness's to help you set the stack height, in the past that's what I've found the most important.