PDA

View Full Version : Odd fault need ideas/help.

Saint aka ML
30-07-2011, 03:47 PM
Ok so monster has developed said problem before my holiday hence I took SS.

In short sent it for tank welding as it was leaking, rode it to welder and all was fine except petrol trail behind.
When arrived to pickup couple of days later bike was not working, it did not want to start normally and if it did it was not idling or revving. After a while we got it to idle ok and rev ok when stationary but did not want to go unless you hed revs over 5k and that was jerky as hell when you were on the move. Starting was still a problem. Said mechanic did not want to take responsibility so took it home from him. At home realised that they had connected fuel sensor to accessory socket so when fuel sensor was engaged it was shorting the loom which burned the plug a bit. When I disconnected it starting became as per normal easy.

Before going on holiday sent it to Rosso Corse to find fault. Today went there to help him with my "custom spaghetti electrics". Bike already had new plugs, new fuel lines and new fuel filter and still no go.
Ignitech ignition when connected to PC shows all ok, there is spark and petrol, bike starts, idles and revs but as soon as you put it under load it stalls, that is unless you have revs at 5k.
We have fitted stock CDI units and all was fine so went home. About half way home it started doing the same when bike got hot with one exception if you did get it going and were over about 4-5k it was not jerky anymore just behaved normal.

In short bike has:
- new plugs
- new fuel filter
- new fuel lines
- new cdi units
Starts and idles easy and correctly, when stationary can be revved to red line no problem. After new parts when cold can normally get going. As soon as bike got hot could only set off by having engine at about 5k revs and pulling off slowly which cooks clutch.

Since this I realised if you keep it off for a day next day you get about mile of normal running. If you gentle with throttle you can ride longer and if you get to m-way before it gets jurky being gentle allows you to ride for miles.

Yesterday we have:

- Air blown in to tank no help
- External tank connected no change
- Fuel pump put apart all fine
- Air blown in to carbs to clean no help
- Ridden with tank open no help
Seems no solution yet.

Today I have stripped fcrs apart clean as new even.

What are these parts.

What is this, it sits where float bowls are and is size 155?

Is this a fcr jet, size 6.0?

What is this it is adjustable, sits above bowls but in the same chamber and petrol does not get to it via there but rather some internal way?

Seems more screwed in is less flow.

Any ideas?

Saint aka ML
30-07-2011, 06:21 PM
Quick update, played with that adjustable bit in carbs. It seems to have 10 revolutions from closed to open. Set both (one in each carb) to 5. Put back together done 5 miles of stop and go all fine for now.

Funny all adjustable bits in fcrs have white paste on it like locktite but this one did not possibly due to spring.

Bike is now running rich as opposed to fuel starvation.

Any one got a set of linked fcrs on table and would be nice enough to check the setting for me?

pooh
31-07-2011, 11:48 AM
Have you got a crank sensor on the left of the generator cover if so take it out clean the face of the casing and refit with one less shim then rotate the engine to make sure it clears the cam drive gear if ok bolt in place then try the engine again. Had the same problem on the wife's 620. Took months to find the problem.

Worth a go
Ian

Saint aka ML
31-07-2011, 12:30 PM
Carved so no such sensor but thx. Issue was with carb settings now bike is fine but I have set it all to middle which makes for very poor fuelling.