PDA

View Full Version : How do I get this out (or can you buy spares)

Paranoid Dave
30-07-2011, 03:18 PM
Can anyone tell me how to take out the black drum like 'ferrule' with the pokey finger bit on it?

See below...

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/attachment.php?attachmentid=15343&stc=1&d=1312038849

Although I'm working on the hyper, I know the levers have same on monsters and 999 etc so surely someone has needed to take it out and fit it onto an aftermarket set of levers?
I Can't bend the joint enough to expose all of the top of it so it lifts out. I'm guessing the pivot is not meant to come apart and was put in under heated conditions.
I'm thinking best chance is to buy a second hand lever and cut the bugger out, anyone got a broken one?

Mr Cake
30-07-2011, 03:50 PM
Hello P Diddles! Hope you and Shirley are well. Have you tried drifting the brass pivot bush out to separate the unit? Looks like the "web" of the lever is holding the ferrule captive. Might be an idea to wind the span adjuster fully out as well.

C

Paranoid Dave
30-07-2011, 06:33 PM
Hi Cake

The pic is not my lever but one i stole from ebay, it has the same 'bit' i'm trying to get out but the lever is different. Having said that its the same problem, the web as you put it gets in the way.
I have been able to take out the expansion setting wheel, so thats not an issue, but the web still has a hold of it. I did also try and push the pivot out using a vice but it's not going to shift without damage.
Ideally I'd like to get another so that I could revert to the original levers if I ever sold it blah blah which was why I thought about getting a damaged lever and cutting it out?

Albie
30-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Cakey is correct and the bush does slide out with a wee tap and then the other part slides out to replace in said new lever. Mine wasn't brass or bronze like that but looks like aluminium. Just give it a tap with a socket or something similar size. Its quite safe to.
Have changed mine and just checked for you so not guessing.

Mr Cake
31-07-2011, 10:26 AM
A short length of threaded bar, 2 sockets (one to push the bush out and the other to apply the force against), 2 washers, and 2 nuts and you've got yourself a makeshift press. It's a lot less damaging than the hammer and a lot more progressive so you can see what's going on.

C

Fugly
03-08-2011, 12:30 PM
Hi PD,
When I changed the levers on my S4R I had to remove this on mine (which was Brass).
If you turn the pin / swivel the bush in the lever, you will see a 1.5mm Alen grub screw. remove this and unscrew the pin from the bush then the lever pushes out.
Reassemble in reverse order.
Fugly