PDA

View Full Version : Fork Oil Change

boris
26-07-2011, 09:21 AM
Never done it before, but will be due soon (mileage wise). If anyone has a numpty guide or advice I'd be grateful.. :worried:

Rally
26-07-2011, 11:03 AM
Ducati normally recommend an amount AND a level from the top of the fork when the top is off and the fork compressed. The amount is far easier, but a little less accurate.
First, loosen the nut on the top of the stanchion, then drop the forks out of the yokes for turning them upside down to drain them. If time allows, leave them to drain for at least an hour. I always put a small amount back in and then drain that again to flush them out. Pump them up and down to get it all out, and the same again to get the air out when filling them up.

It's not rocket science, its easy work if you take your time. Good luck.

boris
26-07-2011, 07:20 PM
Thanks for the pointers, now I'll have to work out how to suspend the front end whilst I take them off?

Starter Sprag
26-07-2011, 07:31 PM
Good instruction Rally,

Also, you can flush out any old oil and crap, using white spirit or paraffin, operate damper several times to really flush the crap out, then drain.

Rally
26-07-2011, 09:34 PM
Paraffin or diesel would be best, but not white spirit. That will dry out any internal seals or 'O' rings. Oil isn't too dear though and you usually have some left over anyway, so best to use that. Measure it 1st so you don't run short of it.