PDA

View Full Version : Kawasaki ER6n

Tomfoolery
13-07-2011, 01:28 PM
Bike: Kawasaki ER6n
Weather: Cloudy but warm, 18º
Socks: black, mis-matched

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6141/5933106881_1c5f2158d3.jpg

The Kawasaki was always going to be an outsider in the group of bikes I'm looking at. None of the Japanese companies make a big-bore, sporty, well-equipped twin anymore, but I felt I should at least look at the little Kwack. It's only six grand. In the showroom, it holds it's head very high. Shorter, more squat and better-looking than the Versys, it's the least-ugly of all the Kawasakis. It's not an attractive showroom to look round. I don't quite know what the Japanese company are thinking looks good right now, but there's not a gorgeous bike in there. They're all hideously, horribly ugly but the Versys and ER6n are saved from the crappy, plastic 'Manga' treatment of unnecessary covers on things, stupid edges to superfluous bits of bodywork, and generally nasty looks from the Zthou, Z750 and ZX sports range. Shame, as Kawasaki have proved in the past they can make really great-looking bikes.

Anyway, I close my jaw and turn my back so I don't have to look at the rest and concentrate on the ER. It has ABS, nice paint (I didn't like the green of my demonstrator at first but now can't decide between that and the white), good detailing in some areas, neat clocks, and a comfy seat. Looks good.

A bit of chat with a salesbod who's keen, but not all over me and I fill in some forms to get the keys. He reckons it's a surprisingly nippy bike after we chat about what I'm after and what I've ridden already.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6013/5933104479_999d9d8142_z.jpg

I manoeuvre off the pavement into a bustop and start up. It's very light to push around, and very quiet on tickover. I give it some welly away and we're off onto the hideous A12. Through traffic, the slow-speed handling is astonishing. The best I've ever experienced. The clutch and throttle are light and responsive, although feel slightly 'dead', but the way the bike turns below 20mph is phenomenal.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6127/5933668474_eec260348e.jpg

However, it really, really needs some Renthals. The bars are too high and too narrow. I feel squished into the bike. I didn't notice what bars are on the Versys, but they'll definitely be wider - use those. It could be this that causes me difficulty when I get to some nicer roads. Above 60 I'm really having to muscle the bike around. It behaves better if I sit still and heave on the bars, but it's not a comfortable riding style. It doesn't feel stable either. The Monster, my GS and ZX7R had a wonderful mid-corner stability. You lean halfway and you can feel the tyres and suspension compressing and digging in. What you do after that is your choice. The ER leans in, but feels jittery. It certainly didn't feel planted. The result was a lack of corner speed and lean angle, and big chicken strips. Boo. I thought at first it could be the tyres, but they're Dunlop Roadsmarts which I've heard excellent things about, although whether the ones you get on the new bikes are the same as you buy off the shelf, I'm not sure.

Tomfoolery
13-07-2011, 01:33 PM
img]http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6137/5933108831_c0c4df2696_z.jpg[/img]

The dash is nicely laid out, everything is where you expect, there's a fuel guage and the rev counter keeps up with you. The wind coming over the top of it is nice and uniform, too. No high pressure parts on your neck or top of your head, just an even blast of air. I play with the brake lever to try and improve it but it has no effect. I almost plough into a roundabout. Three fingers it is, then.

The engine is fantastic. It picks up cleanly, and zips along surprisingly quickly, nipping up to 100 no problem. After that, it struggles. The midrange is very impressive for such a wee motor, and the airbox growl is excellent. It becomes very addictive pinging the throttle wide open and snicking in gears at the redline, the bike loves it. Well, the chassis doesn't. Bumps that gave the Monster a light kick of the bars, and the front of the GS a wave had me out of the seat as the shock crashed over them. Riding with my weight going through the pegs helps, but it's physically difficult to keep it stable, which is a great pity as the engine loves being thrashed, but the rest of the bike can't keep up. The optional Akra can might be essential though, as the off-throttle sound is a droning, penetrating annoyance.

Stopping to take photos, it strikes me that this bike is split between great touches, and cheap, nasty parts that spoil the overall impression. Engine? Wonderful. Once you get used to keeping it singing, it's lovely and usable. Brakes? ****. Sliding two-pots with rubber hoses and OE pads. Ugh.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6134/5933670994_cc17ca911d.jpg

Then I look at the back end and it's illustrated perfectly. The swingarm is lovely, no box-section cheapness. The chain adjusters look well made and accurate, the rear wheel with it's split spokes looks purposeful. The rear shock is offset and looks great, and the belly-exit exhaust cleans up the back end too. The undertray is neat, rear lights minimal but stylish, even the pillion grab handles have got some thought put into them. Unfortunately, the budget bike bits rear their head and stamp over everything like a too-drunk mate. Next to the delicate, slender swingarm, the rear brake line looks like something from a builder's yard, and plugs into a caliper the size of a microwave. Horrid. Then the totally out of place pillion pegs which are painted the wrong colour block everything else.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6029/5933115191_ec9e374b30.jpg

In summary, I think I was expecting too much of the bike as a whole. The engine surprised me at how great it is. A wonderful little thing. The suspension, brakes and finishing touches disappoint. If I did buy one, I'd be budgeting for entirely new forks (they're non-adjustable), new shock (looked like pre-load only) and some Brembos to fit the existing mounting holes or having some plates made up to fit radials, braided hoses and a couple of other touches, like painting or replacing the pillion pegs. Maybe a new brake master cylinder too. That's a couple of grand, easy. That means a whole host of other bikes are available without these mods.

Nice bike, and great for a first big bike, but not for me.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6148/5933661000_d7459ae4fb_z.jpg

Tomfoolery
13-07-2011, 01:38 PM
I've no idea why the image code is off, can't work it out how to put it back on :(

the_adam
13-07-2011, 01:40 PM
Good review, this bike was probably going to be my 2nd choice if Jim had sold the Monster to someone else, there was a nice black one with a red frame on sale not far from my parents' house. Never got a proper test ride on it though, from what you've said I'm quite glad I ended up with this one :thumbsup:

Tomfoolery
13-07-2011, 02:25 PM
Exactly, I don't know why you'd buy an ER6 over a Monster 695/6.

Images are here. (http://www.flickr.com/photos/thefooleryoftom/sets/72157627185255272/)

He11cat
13-07-2011, 06:50 PM
Walk away walk away.... Never compare a monster to a kawacrappy!!
I'm glad they hAve improved on the ER range with the 6 ..
The 5 was a pile of gutless poop .. Peoe moan at Italian bikes not liking out side and winter .... The monster survives winter a million times better then any kwack I've owned!!
The Er5 was a rolling bit of rot.. I've never seen a bike disintergrate over winter before my eyes!!

It was the newest bike I've owned and the worst build quality I have ever seen .

bex
13-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Another great review. Great pictures to go with it too.

That is one ugly fothermucker of a bike though!

I'm glad its not for you! :running:

Gordon H
13-07-2011, 07:59 PM
Had a look at a few of them when we were looking for a first big bike for my son - quite a lot seemed to be suffering from bad paintwork / corrosion around the swing arm... including some low mileage bikes..... not nice!

fuelline
13-07-2011, 08:37 PM
Good god Tom....what's wrong with you...

Nickj
13-07-2011, 09:42 PM
I see a few of those most evenings.
First I see them from behind, then I see them from the side, then I see them recede in the mirrors (when I move my elbows anyway)
Think I'll stick with my Monster

Tomfoolery
14-07-2011, 12:41 AM
Thanks for the kind words, everyone. Not you, Dan. Get bent. :D

I forgot about Kwak's build quality. My Dad's old ZZR was fairly flimsy, but it did do 130,000 miles...

Onto the next one...