PDA

View Full Version : Mudguard compatibility...

Dukedesmo
05-07-2011, 05:57 PM
My M900 has 916 forks and whilst I have a mudguard to suit them it is quite a bit shorter than a Monster mudguard meaning more dirt will hit the front cylinder & oil cooler.

I believe the mounting points are the same but can anyone confirm if a Monster mudguard will fit 916 forks?

Stafford
05-07-2011, 06:16 PM
If you have forks with the plastic clips I'd say yes.

Dukedesmo
05-07-2011, 07:41 PM
If you have forks with the plastic clips I'd say yes.

Well, actually I have swapped the mounts for radial caliper mounts which don't use the plastic clips but the spacing is the same and a 916 mudguard fits.

Stafford
07-07-2011, 11:56 AM
You could also try an ST2/3/4 type which fit and are slightly longer as well, ooo and i have a spare red one here.

Dukedesmo
07-07-2011, 01:28 PM
You could also try an ST2/3/4 type which fit and are slightly longer as well, ooo and i have a spare red one here.

Thanks for the info but I want a carbon one, in fact I've ordered one now so I'll soon know for sure if it fits and I remembered that the mudguard mounting brackets are removable on these forks so I can modify or make new ones if needed.

satan916
07-07-2011, 01:33 PM
I also have an M900 fitted with 916 forks and I've fitted a fender from my S4 to them, although the M900 came with 2 adaptor plates bolted to the original mounting points and I've had to re-use these in order to get the S4 fender to fit

Dukedesmo
15-07-2011, 11:10 AM
So to update for anyone who's interested: I got a new CF Monster mudguard and it fits 916 (& 1198 Ohlins) forks, holes line up & wheel has plenty of clearance etc.

I've test fitted to my 916 which has 1198 Ohlins forks and also to the 916 forks that will go on the Monster (not fitted at the moment), the only downside is that the front vertical 'guard' part of it that shields the fork legs doesn't completely cover the fork sliders so grit etc could hit the top part. :worried:

On the other hand a 916 mudguard (I have 2 of them) covers the forks better but is much shorter at the rear so offers less protection to the engine and an 1198 mudguard is even shorter at the rear - but both of these bikes have fairings to protect the mechanicals and need to be short because a long mudguard like the Monsters would hit the radiator under braking.

Prefer the look of the Monster guard for a Monster so I'll probably use that but would feel happier with a little more guard in front of the forks legs... :scratch: