PDA

View Full Version : Indicators in tail light Q's

Paranoid Dave
29-06-2011, 07:27 PM
Eric the rebuild is almost done but the indicators at the rear were pointed out to me "are they visible and do they extend beyond the bodywork?"

Well in actual fact i'd like to ditch them and get one of the tail lights that has the indicators within the tail light lens, when you indicate half the LED's become orange and flash, which side depending on right or left, you know the ones...

Well are they actually legal? I've seen a few for sale and they say they are legal but they are after my money, does anyone know if they really are legal??

the_adam
29-06-2011, 07:44 PM
As far as I know they're e-marked as legal, but this is for use as taillights only - the indicators are intended for off-road use. If the MOT tester sticks very strictly to the regulations they won't pass because they flash betwen yellow and red rather than yellow and off. There's also an issue with the minimum distance allowed between them (don't know how far it has to be offhand).

Having said that, plenty of places seem to pass them and I've never been stopped for mine - bit of a grey area like overly-loud exhausts :)

uksurfer
29-06-2011, 08:06 PM
my local mot will pass the integrated lights which flash at the ends as independant, not the ones which flash half orange/red which i think you are on about

Paranoid Dave
29-06-2011, 08:40 PM
Ok thanks for that.

J_Dub
29-06-2011, 09:25 PM
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989/1796/schedule/7/made

The road vehicle lighting regulations.