PDA

View Full Version : Pasta (well it is Italian)

bigredduke
22-06-2011, 06:30 PM
I adore all types of pasta. Spaghetti, farfalle, penne, fusilli, you name it I'll eat it. However, if I am eating a pasta dish, the pasta must all be the same shape, to mix them is a heinous crime IMO.:eek: Mrs BRD isn't bothered. If she runs out of one type, she will happily add another. What do you think?

Albie
22-06-2011, 06:38 PM
I dont have a problem mixing. Not correct but hey as long as cook time same its ok. Reminds me I need to make some pasta with my machine I got for xmas. Any decent recipes anyone know of or whats the best ingredients to use. Its a red Jamie Oliver one .The proper colour :biggrin:

Paivi
22-06-2011, 06:42 PM
If she runs out of one type, she will happily add another. What do you think?
That she needs to work on her pantry planning skills, as she should never allow herself to run out of a particular type of pasta.

Char
22-06-2011, 06:43 PM
Umm - how about cooking it yourself

Gadget
22-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Keep it the same. So if it looks like there will be not enough for the next time put it in this meal and add it to the shopping list.

Nonnie
22-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I don't even mix different packets of the same spaghetti.

Does that make me spaghetti-ist?

But then I am married to an Italian boy.

An anally retentive Italian boy.

An anally retentive Italian boy who wouldn't know anyway.

But still.

bigredduke
22-06-2011, 07:07 PM
Umm - how about cooking it yourself

I just realised my post made me seem like a moaning MCP. No, I cook for the family several times a week, as Mrs BRD works as well. I often cook pasta for me & my 2 daughters as one is vegetarian and pasta is quick & easy. My latest creation is spaghetti with thinly-sliced garlicky aubergine in a rich tomato sauce with ricotta. Yum!

J_Dub
22-06-2011, 08:17 PM
So that rules out alphabetti spaghetti then!

http://images.mylot.com/userImages/images/postphotos/2131658.jpg

the_adam
22-06-2011, 08:27 PM
I only ever seem to get the Asda wholemeal pasta (no particular reason!) so it doesn't cause any problems. That may be an even greater crime to some though... :)

Its a red Jamie Oliver one .The proper colour :biggrin:

Has it got a nice off-centre stripe too? Makes it cook faster! :chuckle:

Nickj
22-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Take a few handfuls of spinach, boil a bit, just a little bit mind no more than a minute.
Fish out drain and dry.
Fine slice the spinach.
Plop on work top and surround it with flour, about 7 of my size hand scoops.
Dollop the contents of 5 eggs and a small splash of olive oil on the spinach and mix it.
blend in the flour till you end up with not too sticky green doughy blob.
Give it a good knead for 10 mins or so so it's a nice almost tacky dough.
Give it a rest for 20-30mins
Roll and make pasta shaped things,

Sorry I don't really do measuring, my cooking is kinda random but it works on the whole

Capo
22-06-2011, 10:24 PM
Oh dear my spaghetti comes in a tin :D

gary tompkins
22-06-2011, 10:53 PM
I'll happily mix pasta

I'm more interested in what goes on it - meat, sauce etc..

He11cat
22-06-2011, 11:59 PM
Im sending Nick some spinach and stuff...... can I have some of your playdough please Nick?

He11cat
23-06-2011, 12:01 AM
Mixing pasta would not bother me ... but mixing does!!
I hate it when people mix up food like Lasagne .. so it goes all funny and unlayered.
Worst is people who mix neopolitan ice cream to a brown sludge...

I don't like to watch people mix stuff on a plate at all makes me feel sick :)
Mrs BRD needs to start doing extreme couponing these folks on T.v where buying 40 years worth of loo roll at a time and BOGOF offers.. going in with folders of stuff...

I have issues with this ... when I was a kid .. we had Izzal loo paper the medicated tracing paper.. now we have Cushelle quilty.. so if Loo paper has evolved so fast then in 40 years old loo paper may become the Izzal of
today!!
We may even have special lav paper in 40 years time

the_adam
23-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Well, if it's gone from traing paper to cushelle in 40 years, you'd imagine in 40years' time we'll have moved on to using pillows or egg boxes or something. 80 years and it'll be mattresses :chuckle:

Mand
23-06-2011, 07:07 AM
Mixing up pasta isn't wrong, what is very wrong is chips and lasagne, I really hate that, and

Maybe nutella, cocopops, over cooked veg, ready made lasagne and bloody tinned spaghetti bolognaise, POP tarts, fruit shoots and I'm sure more will come to mind later

Nonnie
23-06-2011, 07:19 AM
Oooh sorry Mand, I love chips and lasagne. Carb City! More than that however, I adore lasagne and cucumber. Try it, it's good.

You're right on the layer thing though.

Char
23-06-2011, 08:15 AM
Mixing up pasta isn't wrong, what is very wrong is chips and lasagne, I really hate that, and

Maybe nutella, cocopops, over cooked veg, ready made lasagne and bloody tinned spaghetti bolognaise, POP tarts, fruit shoots and I'm sure more will come to mind later

Agreed - pasta & potato is so very wrong

the_adam
23-06-2011, 08:31 AM
But cheese goes with pasta...and it also goes with potato...so surely pasta and potato must work! :D

Although using the same (dubious) logic you should also be ok to pour custard on your beef casserole...

Char
23-06-2011, 08:36 AM
But cheese goes with pasta...and it also goes with potato...so surely pasta and potato must work! :D

Although using the same (dubious) logic you should also be ok to pour custard on your beef casserole...

Hummm - dont mention ham and cheese as a good combination to a certain Area Rep - I guess it takes all sorts :piglet:

Mand
23-06-2011, 09:20 AM
I love chips
I love lasagne
They should never meet.
However lasagne and salad is tasty.... With a side order of garlic bread and yes cucumber is double ace with lasagne.
Chips with white bread, butter and heinz tom ketchup is heaven. Oh yes heaven. So i suppose its a different kind of carb thing that floats my boat.

Ham and cheese is good, very good, beef and stilton is better :D

He11cat
23-06-2011, 09:59 AM
Cinnamon pop tarts...... id do anything for cinnamon pop tarts..... I have to go to the American shop to get them now... that and easy Mac.. lazy arse bad food full of fat and sugar ...
But I do limit myself to a box a year...

I got a great limited edition pop tart last year il reveal all later!!

gary tompkins
23-06-2011, 10:19 AM
I'm waiting for PD to chime in with his expert opinion on pot noodles

Lucati
23-06-2011, 11:11 AM
My little 6 year old had creative play at school where they got to make pictures out of dried pasta glueing it to sheets of paper and painting it.... One of the other parents went in to see the teacher after her son gave her his artwork and mixed into the pasta shapes were several pasta penis shapes! That kind of mixing is definitely frowned upon!

He11cat
23-06-2011, 11:59 AM
It wasn't my school!!!!
Pot noodles .. Well the cheese and tom one was ok if you left the red sauce out (mixing thing again .. It goes funny colour that makes me feel I'll) I'm utterly disgusted at the noodle boy that axed the cheese one!!

I have that pasta in a mug at work for lunch :)