PDA

View Full Version : Q to those who swapped m900 forks with 996/749 or later 748 models.

Saint aka ML
19-06-2011, 02:56 PM
I been trying to align front wheel and discs to brakes and nothing seems to work perfect.

I have fitted 749 forks but as far as I know 749 forks would be direct swap with 996 or later 748 so as such means they are the same.

First of all I remember reading that you need to offset discs by 2mm. Now this seems to be the case. I have tested with no spacer, 1mm spacer which was almost there and 2x1mm spacer which made it stop catching brake discs on callipers. Yet something bothers me, one side of discs (inner side) is significantly closer to callipers then the other. I would say inner side is having just over 1mm clearance while outer side about 3 mm. Is that correct?

Also the way I was alligning the wheel is to attach callipers and pump them till they grab very hard and they will align the wheel. Said that it just does not seem to be the best way as if left brake pad in each calliper is more out then it will push the wheel more out. So I have alligned the discs in between callipers as much in the centre as I could, applied the brakes to keep it central. That way it seems to be very good however spindle on the side where there is no nut is sticking out about 3 mm and I can not access the fork adjusters that would normally be accessible via holes in spindles. Did anyone who did this conversion encounter the same issue?

I can leave with that until I get a proper spindle made but it just does not seem correct.

Kato
19-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Brakes for 998S/996/916 have a std offset of 10mm, the R versions 15mm, and the 749/999 are all 15mm offset, bolt pattern is also different. Disc's are all 320mm, fit a front wheel disc's and calipers from a 749/999 and it will alll line up nicely....:-)

Saint aka ML
19-06-2011, 04:40 PM
Brakes for 998S/996/916 have a std offset of 10mm, the R versions 15mm, and the 749/999 are all 15mm offset, bolt pattern is also different. Disc's are all 320mm, fit a front wheel disc's and calipers from a 749/999 and it will alll line up nicely....:-)

Ne I am sticking with 5 spoke Marchesini. Saying that if I add 2mm on each side it should be fine as it should be off by 0.5mm on each side yet it just does not look like it is.

Crap.

Dukedesmo
19-06-2011, 06:43 PM
I would say inner side is having just over 1mm clearance while outer side about 3 mm. Is that correct?

No, the disc should be central, it may end up slightly out (+/- 0.5mm?) because of manufacturing tolerance of different wheels etc but you need 5mm (not 2mm) more offset, 749 forks have 15mm offset (per side) built into them for the 15mm offset discs that they are designed to work with.

However if you space the discs out 5mm you will probably find that the disc no longer seats around the 'lip' on the wheel and so all the braking strain is taken on the bolts alone, you may even get problems with the disc bolts hitting the fork legs and you will almost certainly get contact with the speedo drive if you still have one - I would highly recommend you get some 15mm offset discs and not attempt to space the 10mm discs out by 5mm.

I have 1198 Ohlins forks on my 916 and have 15mm offset discs on a 916 type Marchesini wheel and even then I had to re-machine the wheel spacers as the discs sat 1mm off-centre.

Saint aka ML
19-06-2011, 07:05 PM
is it 15mm on each side? That just can not be correct as then discs would not fit at all unless spaced and I could fit them in there and wheel could spin it was the bobbins that were touching the callipers. With 2mm spacing on each side they do not touch any more but are very close. To be honest I do not see how it could be 15mm per disc as it just would not fit at all with no spacing??

Also there is less then 15mm space between inner walls of calliper that I have fitted (996 one).

crust
19-06-2011, 07:32 PM
The offset of each disk is 15mm.

Your disks have 10mm offset each side, therefore the difference is 5mm per side

Saint aka ML
19-06-2011, 07:42 PM
The offset of each disk is 15mm.

Your disks have 10mm offset each side, therefore the difference is 5mm per side

Thank you now that makes more sense then as 5mm would seem correct.

So I could get discs for 916 and not have as much issues then?

Or as PM'ed to another member, would it not be possible to offset callipers as well by 2 or 3 mm and have it then align?

2mm per disc plus 3mm per calliper is 5mm. As callipers are wider apart on 749 forks there is more space between rim and calliper so it could be done.

Just putting two or 3 1mm steel spacers between calliper and fork bottom for spacing, then using longer bolt so it all holds it correct and you are done.

gary tompkins
19-06-2011, 07:47 PM
Would need to be from a 916R - Standard 916 is 10mm offset

I've got 996 legs on my monster and they work with stock monster brakes, wheel etc..

Albie
19-06-2011, 07:54 PM
This is the point when you just wished you had a complete front end from a bike.:hissy::hissy:

Now shall I do this to my 600ss. Hmmmm:look:

Saint aka ML
19-06-2011, 08:29 PM
This is the point when you just wished you had a complete front end from a bike.:hissy::hissy:

Now shall I do this to my 600ss. Hmmmm:look:

But even then it is not so perfect, yokes are an issue and fitting them to frame, clip ons rather then bars and so on. There is always something.

Dukedesmo
19-06-2011, 09:02 PM
So I could get discs for 916 and not have as much issues then?

You need the 15mm offset discs that were only fitted to some 'R' models 748R & 998R or you could get an aftermarket version such as the Brembo HPK disc with 15mm offset like these; http://www.yoyodyneti.com/ProductInfo.aspx?productid=71.1084 these are what I have on my 916 BTW.

Spacing standard 10mm offset discs is probably not likely to work well, I initially looked at it but there were too many issues.

I have 916 Showa forks with Radial caliper conversion for my Monster but they are the 10mm offset so all is well.

Albie
19-06-2011, 09:19 PM
But even then it is not so perfect, yokes are an issue and fitting them to frame, clip ons rather then bars and so on. There is always something.

I will read this with interest then. Then I wont go wrong.:mand:

Saint aka ML
19-06-2011, 09:44 PM
Uh Uh are 2002 900ss discs 15mm spacing or are they like monster?

gary tompkins
20-06-2011, 12:22 AM

I think Kato's already stated what you need

The 900SS front end from 2002 will be same as 900 monster of that vintage

Saint aka ML
20-06-2011, 12:38 AM
I think Kato's already stated what you need

The 900SS front end from 2002 will be same as 900 monster of that vintage

Just double checking. I already know what I need to make it work and got most parts. Still need front wheel spacer.

Saint aka ML
20-06-2011, 08:16 PM
All solved. Wheel spacer should be with me by Wednesday, Thursday latest. Rather then spacing discs I will space the callipers as then I can use any 10mm spaced discs as per stock. All one needs to do that is longer bolts and 4 5mm spacers or 20mm 1mm steel spacers for testing.

Saint aka ML
22-06-2011, 12:43 PM
Ok wheel spacer arrived and perfect 1st time. As I could not find anywhere I went 5mm longer calliper bolts, special thinner thread for now for testing I have spaced discs out by 2mm and callipers in by 2.5mm. Works a treat.

Now on hunt for proper longer bolts and then can fit my 5mm spacers I ordered.

BTW after all my loom re-routing to hide it (worked perfect) my dash cable is to short Grrr.

Kato
22-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Lukaz mate I wish you'd stop coming up with these hair brained schemes, spacers, washers and dodgy bolts will eventually result in serious injury at best...........

Saint aka ML
22-06-2011, 08:51 PM
Lukaz mate I wish you'd stop coming up with these hair brained schemes, spacers, washers and dodgy bolts will eventually result in serious injury at best...........

I just realised 1st sentence makes no sense on my post however no idea what you mean?

You need to test by how much to offset something and best way to do it is via spacers as you can add a bit at a time. When you get number you want you order proper one part spacer.

Spacing out callipers is easier then spacing out discs and makes more sense in long run as I keep stock discs.

Calliper bolts vary from manufacturer to manufacturer. Could not find what I want at local shops but had to find out if it works anyhow so using shorter bolts just to keep it all in place seems quite safe unless my garage brakes stop working at the same time?

Saint aka ML
23-06-2011, 08:23 PM
Finished.

So my original calliper bolts that came with this bike were 25mm thread plus 5mm head.
Called MotoRapido to get longer one's expecting bit of trouble as they are not standard. Came to be that my old one's were wrong. Those listed for 1993 monster should be 30mm thread + 5mm head. That was yesterday. Today in the morning post 4 bolts from MR.

Fitted callipers and spaced them out by 3mm as that is what steel spacers I could muster (had a correct diameter pipe that was 14mm long). 4 spacers on callipers and discs offset by 2mm is 5mm so all dandy in the middle of callipers.

New mud-guard arrived as well.

Major issue was routing fuel line to fuel pump, to FCR's and then back to tank. Still wrong after good knows how many tries. However saying that now in working order and I now know I need two more 90 degree fuel line adapters plus a bit of fuel line and I can have fuel filter not sticking outside of the frame. Goody.

slob
10-07-2011, 05:49 AM

So what jiggery-pokery is involved in making the 749/999 rear wheel fit a monster?

Kato
10-07-2011, 10:22 AM
So what jiggery-pokery is involved in making the 749/999 rear wheel fit a monster?

Have custom swing arm made to accomodate the wheel simples......;)

slob
10-07-2011, 10:38 AM
...always fancied a Harris factory swingarm, total bargain at *ONLY* £3,250.00 +VAT!