PDA

View Full Version : Help Me Sleep - bike tracker

littlejimmy12
17-06-2011, 12:48 PM
My question is about trackers. I constantly worry about my bike been stolen, it has hours of work invested and a lot of ££. (well a lot for me)

it's chained, alarmed, disc locked (2) and covered by a secure locked cover that cannot be lifted.

I still worry! in fact any noise at night and I look out my window to check on her!! every day when return from work I get a little feeling or relief that she is still there.

Am I crazy? possibly

So - will a tracker ease my pain? is this a good investment? positives and negatives?

J

Jungle24
17-06-2011, 02:14 PM
The trackers from what I hear are very good but expensive. I have heard you can get ones that send you a text message if your bike is moved!! I feel your pain as have mine in a garage but its a mile away from my house so constantly worry!

cairojay
17-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Trackers are ace but it won't stop you from being anxious - if your bike does get nicked the police still have to catch the thief and you just have to hope they dont torch it, break it or worse still, locate the tracker rip it out and then its gone. Had 2 bikes nicked in our street right outside the owner's houses in the last year, on both occasions the bikes were pretty old with no immobilisers and it turned out that they were nicked by scallys and discarded on housing estates. One was recovered the other was torched. My bike is parked 2 doors down from my neighbour and chained up on the pavement. It is parked under a streetlight and we are situated on an exposed corner so I think that helps a lot. I also think that most bikes are nicked by opportunists - so if it isn't chained or covered you are increasing your risk. All in all I would go for an ALMAX chain and padlock, get a tracker and always always chain your bike at night and cover it.

the_adam
17-06-2011, 02:40 PM
That's one well-protected bike :) They sound quite useful, but my thoughts have always been that it's an expensive way to find what's left of the bike, though I don't know how quickly the police respond to them...thing is it won't do anything to stop it being stolen, so you'll probably still worry!

Depending what you've got already I'd personally spend a bit more getting the best chain you can find and a decent ground anchor so that it can't go missing in the first place. A couple of years ago I got a set with a very heavy pragmasis chain/squire lock/torc anchor for around £150. Depending on your axle size they also did a hardened bar that let you attach the lock through the middle of the axle to stop someone taking all but the wheel. It was meant to be the most secure lock on the market at the time and I'd imagine a tracker subscription could cost more than that just for one year?

Rally
17-06-2011, 06:17 PM
Trackers are great tools if you want to be sure to have the best chance to get it back. My advice is that you don't put the stickers on it saying it has one though, otherwise they will find it and rip it off. There are'nt many places to hide it on a bike, so it doesn't take long to find.
We fit them to numerous machines at work, from ATV's to tractors and cars. Most are found quickly before they leave the country. You can set up boundaries on them now as close or far as you like, if you go outside it, it rings or texts you.
Technology eh! Tracker is a trade name (Like Hoover or JCB) but there are now many other makes as well. You pay for the name with Tracker, do a search if you want to get one. You will save money that way!

slob
17-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I fitted a Datatool Snitcher to my 620 to give me peace of mind at work, when I had to use a public parking bay but only caught a couple of careless twats jamming their scooters up against my pride an joy.
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=23565

the_adam
17-06-2011, 06:53 PM
Here's a slightly sneaky thought...why not just get one of the tracker stickers and put it on, you must be able to get them off ebay or somewhere similar - That'd act as a pretty good deterrent AND you could spend the money you save on better physical security :thumbsup:

cairojay
18-06-2011, 09:35 AM
you can make a one off lifetime payment for a tracker