PDA

View Full Version : Rear wheel nut tightening

skellywag63
17-06-2011, 09:16 AM
A really dumb question :dizzy: but how do other single sided swing arm monster owners tighten the rear wheel nut. 176 Nm is the required torque setting but even in gear i'm turning over the engine when trying to tighten this nut. Do I just need a mate to sit on bike with rear brake applied???:fou:

Rally
17-06-2011, 09:36 AM
That's how I do it, rear brake is the only way unless you jam the wheel up. :thumbsup:

Stafford
17-06-2011, 09:46 AM
If you have the correct paddock stand it comes with a rubber coated bar for the job.

Bunyip
17-06-2011, 10:05 AM
Another method is to chain the rear wheel to the frame, such as through the gap between the swingarm and engine.
I thought of this the other day while contorting my body into trying to hold the socket square on the nut, pushing the torque wrench and applying the rear brake at the same time. I will use my bike chain next time!

buzzbomb
17-06-2011, 10:07 AM
If you have the correct paddock stand it comes with a rubber coated bar for the job.

Thats the way if you've got the correct stand but the best way even if you have said stand is to get a mate to sit on the bike with his right foot hard on the brake pedal whilst you finally torque the nut up, make sure that the socket is of the right type as I've seen the results of bodged up jobs, (not a nice site and costly).

Rally
17-06-2011, 11:09 AM

So that's what that handles for! I did wonder. :dunce:

skellywag63
17-06-2011, 02:38 PM
I've only got an ABBA workshop stand so no specific tool for the job but getting my missus to apply rear brake seems the way to go.
Thanks for the info.

Dukedesmo
17-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Don't stand too hard on the brake pedal otherwise the master cylinder mounting bracket might break... :rolleyes:

bigredduke
17-06-2011, 04:48 PM
I've only got an ABBA workshop stand so no specific tool for the job but getting my missus to apply rear brake seems the way to go.
Thanks for the info.

And pop it into 1st gear as well.

gary tompkins
17-06-2011, 05:27 PM
A length of scaffold tube on the ratchet spanner helps to get it undone :eyepopping:

Shuffy's top tip - after working on his S2R

Shuffy
17-06-2011, 05:55 PM
A length of scaffold tube on the ratchet spanner helps to get it undone :eyepopping:

Shuffy's top tip - after working on his S2R

Actually I use a non ratchet arm with a piece of scaffold tube as an extension. Put it on snugly on the nut and keep one hand over it to stop it from slipping off. As it's VERY tight, I put the bike on the side stand in top gear (back wheel on the ground), then get the other half to sit on the bike with the rear brake on, the extra weight (no offence Jude!) stops the wheel from trying to rotate. Hope that helps! Oh and you'll need a big torque wrench to do it up correctly and don't forget to zip tie the clip when it's all finished.

Gilps
17-06-2011, 06:18 PM
I got fed up with wrestling with breaker bars, torque wrenches, and lengths of scafold pole. I bought a compressor and rattle gun from Aldis. Think the whole lot came to about £90. Along with the pukka FG stand with the wheel locking bar, the jobs a doddle now.

Albie
17-06-2011, 06:48 PM
Why do you need it to be on the stand to do it up:confused:. Nip it up then off stand and tighten up . Same undoing. Crack the nut and then put on stand .

Capo
17-06-2011, 08:40 PM
I bent the locking bar on my stand when removing the nut.

Gilps
18-06-2011, 07:48 AM
I bent the locking bar on my stand when removing the nut.

Me too. That's why I ended up getting a rattle gun.

jerry
19-06-2011, 02:03 AM
Machinemart do an electric rattle gun for about £60 I use it often and they have a battery on for about £95