PDA

View Full Version : M900ie Fuel Tank

NormanHouse
16-06-2011, 11:49 AM
My recent aquisition has the amazing metallic finish which looks like a different colour every few seconds in sunshine. I'm thinking of trying to get a spare Dark or Red tank.

A localish breaker has what he thinks is a S4 tank ("probably 02 mate") - anyone know if this this fit my M900 ie 01 model?

NormanHouse
16-06-2011, 12:09 PM
I don't have a workshop manual - is it a straightforward job to get the fuel cap, hinge and catch off?

gary tompkins
16-06-2011, 01:45 PM
Catch is just attached with a couple of small countersink head allen screws. The hinge pin is held by an R-clip which once removed allows the pin to be drifted out. The petrol cap on EFI tanks is a bastard to remove. Take of the filler cap assembly first (undo cap screws) then remove the tiny grub screws - about 10 of them around the inside of the filler neck. You can then pull the neck out of the tank, but its a really tight fit sealed in the hole with an o-ring. There are a couple of breather pipes attached to the back of the neck which can be pulled off once you get it out of the tank. You may need to swap the rubber blocks that the tank rests on frame with if the replacement tank hasn't got any.

NormanHouse
16-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Catch is just attached with a couple of small countersink head allen screws. The hinge pin is held by an R-clip which once removed allows the pin to be drifted out. The petrol cap on EFI tanks is a bastard to remove. Take of the filler cap assembly first (undo cap screws) then remove the tiny grub screws - about 10 of them around the inside of the filler neck. You can then pull the neck out of the tank, but its a really tight fit sealed in the hole with an o-ring. There are a couple of breather pipes attached to the back of the neck which can be pulled off once you get it out of the tank. You may need to swap the rubber blocks that the tank rests on frame with if the replacement tank hasn't got any.

Cheers for this - are the breather pipes connected to the bottom of the tank - ie would I have to remove them and use them on a new tank?

I take it the filler cap/assembley has to removed to allow the tank to be removed?

Part of the plan was to buy a racy looking aftermarket filler cap til I saw the price! eek! almost as much as the breaker wants for the tank.

Is the fuel sensor straightforward to remove? I'm still not sure a S4 tank will directly swap with the 900ie yet. Too many monsters in the early noughties.

gary tompkins
16-06-2011, 06:30 PM
You won't need to remove filler assembly to get tank off - just the hinge pin and feed hoses

The breather/drain pipes run through tank to outlets on the bottom

Fuel sensor may not swap between S4 and 900ie tanks - check S4 tank fits bike first