PDA

View Full Version : aftermarket tachometer

banyan
14-06-2011, 10:36 PM
what up fellas,
i finally found a used tachometer i can afford to put on my 99 monster 900...but it comes from a 1995 900 SS....will it plug right in? i thought i'd get one of those carbon fiber dual gauge clusters, use my old speedo, and the new tach. having trouble finding an empty cluster tho...anyone seen one?
thx..:yoparty:

utopia
15-06-2011, 02:57 AM
Dunno, but I've been thinking of doing something similar on my Y2K M750, so I'd be interested too.
Is your new tacho electronic, or cable? ....I was thinking an electronic one would be simpler to fit, neater in general, and would avoid any associated power sapping (however minimal that might be..its the principal that counts).
We're not in competition for parts, by the way....I'll not be doing mine til winter at the earliest, and anyway I have cash flow issues just now.

Gilps
15-06-2011, 05:37 AM
It won't just plug straight in. The SS uses a mechanical drive for the tacho. The horizontal cylinder has a drive fitted in to the cylinder head which the Monster doesn't have. You either need to faff around fitting the SS drive, or use an electronic tacho, like the ones from Elliot Designs or similar, or a proper Monster one.

banyan
15-06-2011, 02:07 PM
d'oh! i guess it was too good to be true. any carbed monster tach will do, or it needs to be a 900?

boofbee
15-06-2011, 07:51 PM
My 95 900 has an electronic tacho (was on the bike when I got it) but also has a mechanical drive that is blanked off. My tacho revs to 15K!

banyan
13-07-2011, 06:55 AM
now i've found one from an 01 monster 750...will that one plug into a 99 monster 900? its a full tach and speedo setup... a bit beat up but still better than my 8 giant idiot lights!

gary tompkins
13-07-2011, 08:19 AM
Just check it was from a carbed version pre-immobiliser. The give away for immobiliser is the extra flashing LED on the dash. The EFI/Immobiliser clock sets are coded to the bikes ECU, and probably won't work on a carbed bike. The loom connections will also be different. Some later monsters also have electronic speedo that work from a sensor on rear wheel, so won't connect to mechanical drive.