PDA

View Full Version : Single to double brakes on an M750

benson
14-06-2011, 08:22 PM
OK a question. I have an M750 with a single front brake disk. Problem is it just doesn't stop - I' mean it does but not how I want it to. I have double floating disks, braided lines and a radial brake cylinder on my M900 so I've been well and truly spoilt :flamed:

Anyone done this? If so is it bags of cash? I ride the bike within the safe stopping limits but oh it would be lovely to push it a bit harder :biggrin: I've developed an interesting line on swerving under hard braking which has been good so far but I can't help but feel a bit more stopping power would be helpful...

Thanks - hope someone can help point me in the right direction:flag:

Nickj
14-06-2011, 10:26 PM
Both my 750's have had twin disks, they do burn off speed quite fast.
Two fingers are more than enough for most antics ;)

Funkatronic
15-06-2011, 12:11 AM
i think the mounts are there on the fork legs
you just need another disc, a caliper and some new brake lines, i think the stock master will be ok but you can find ones on fleabay for not much

benson
15-06-2011, 06:17 AM
Thanks folks - off to source those bits!

number24
15-06-2011, 09:21 AM
I got a disc, caliper, dual braided lines and a master cylinder for mine. Give Rosso Corse a call, they sorted me out very well!

scrapps
15-06-2011, 11:20 AM
It may be worth checking the single disc and bits fitted. I had my 750ss for 3 years and mostly used it for trackdays with a single disc. no problems with the front brake more with the bikes rear wheel lifting and when pushed hard the forks hitting the bottom.
2 discs just adds weight ?

slob
15-06-2011, 12:22 PM
are the caliper bolts 40mm or 65 mm apart Rach?
I have a pair of 65mm claipers spare.

Paranoid Dave
15-06-2011, 12:52 PM
The other thing you might want to look at is the fork oil or internals. When I changed Kylie to a twin disc I got real nose dive until I had the forks done.

gary tompkins
15-06-2011, 04:04 PM
are the caliper bolts 40mm or 65 mm apart Rach?
I have a pair of 65mm claipers spare.

If Benson doesn't want these Rob I'm very interested in doing a deal

benson
15-06-2011, 06:35 PM
Trip to Rosso Corse all booked in for Friday. Hurrah!

benson
15-06-2011, 06:38 PM
Slob I will get the ruler out and may well be in touch! Due in London Friday - will give you a ring... Thanks for all the advice - I'll be upgrading fork oil viscosity too I think. The extra weight will be ok - the poor bike has to lug me about so another disk ought not to be too disastrous! Will keep you posted!

Blah blah
15-06-2011, 07:10 PM
Single disk, goodridge hose, progressive fork springs, michelin pilot pures and more than enough stopping power with less unsprung weight !!!

Do you really need to cart all that extra weight around?? You'll be thinking adding a radiator makes it faster if you carry on like this...:D

Mand
15-06-2011, 07:24 PM
Howabout a twin disc front wheel?

number24
15-06-2011, 07:40 PM
The wheel should be fine, i believe they use the same wheels on the twin disc versions. They just put a plastic cover over the disc holes.

benson
15-06-2011, 09:58 PM
That's what I'm hoping about the wheel - and I'm afraid I rather like the idea of two disks because I'm a symmetry freak :-)

I'm going to Rosso Corse on Friday and will seek their wisdom - no doubt Ray and the usual suspects will be able to help me decide on the best thing to do. The brakes are pretty much useless under hard braking so something needs to be done - lack of feel and responsiveness which of course could be crap cpmponents....

I had an interesting run in with an approaching rubbish truck who failed to give way at a roundabout today - it's true you go where you look I can vouch for that but I could've done without the added interest and adrenaline so time to make a change methinks!!!

Thanks all - keep the advice and opinions coming!!!

benson
20-06-2011, 07:15 PM
OK so the bike is now with Ray and the others - think it might be a case of better hoses - they're original by the looks of things and if I want two disks I need new forks - so will keep you posted. Rob I totally forgot to measure the caliper sizes but thanks anyway - I guess Ray will enlighten me with his ides in a few days time :-)

Happy stopping.....

Rach

slob
20-06-2011, 07:30 PM
wrong calipers, I saw it on Saturday.
A single disc ought to be fine with a decent hose and sintered pads, I hauled a pillion round for 15K miles without any stopping issues on my 620... wore the disc out eventually though.

benson
20-06-2011, 08:13 PM
Sintered - what a lovely word! Thanks Rob - hope you liked the little silver one :-)

benson
07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
Woooohoooooo - I can stop again! Been down to collect the little silver one and what a lovely brake I now have - single floating disc and new hoses and a shiny doodah on the bottom of the brake fluid thingy and oh - you get me drift - Ray has done a lovely job on the brake (and my neutral light which remembers what it's there for again) and it feels a million dollars, as well as looking mightly fine I have to say - thanks guys...

I'm now considering having the tail walded back on and an original square tea tray transplant complete with wibbly wobbly indicators front and back - what I'd like is the bike to be as it was when it rolled from the factory all those years ago - apart from the fact that the silence of the cans is just toooooooooooooo much to cope with....so I can therefore justify some low level brushed stainless cans...

If anyone has a square tail unit with indicators attached I'd be very happy to take it off you

Happy monstering - as always

Benson

griffs
29-09-2012, 12:30 PM
Can someone help me understand this last thread please.

My 2002 IE has a single disk and I am not at all happy with the performance. It stops, but I really need to pull very hard with whole hand and I don't think I could get the back end to lift. From a previous post I was advised that the single disk should be OK, and this post and comments from slob and other also conclude a single disk should be sufficient. So I need to take some action.

But I don't really understand from the last post what was actually done apart from new hoses. What would the shiny doodah thingy be at the bottom of the master cylinder?

Also a floating disk?This is a split disk that moves slightly. Is it noticeable movement?

I was thinking of getting some new callipers and a new rotor, but it seems there is an alternative option.

Cheers

Griff

Nickj
29-09-2012, 05:05 PM
Start with some new braided lines, or even new standard ones. Blled them out and see how it feels then.
If it's still hard work try some softer pads, not too high a metal content if sintered as the metal bits will wear the disc

Funkatronic
30-09-2012, 05:14 PM
griffs

have a set of black coloured 'brembo goldine' (2 pad 4 piston) calipers and stainless brake lines from my an s2r1000 for sale,

these calipers were found on most post 2001 monsters (and some pre 2001) but im not bck in uk till late october

all you would then need is a set of 320mm discs with a 10mm offset with the 6 hold mounting pattern (as found on most 95 to 2007 ducatis as well as aprilla and ktms which come up very often on ebay)

pm me if your interetested and we will speak on my return

regards

ali

griffs
30-09-2012, 07:07 PM
Ali,

I will be interested if I draw a blank with getting single disk better.

I already have braided hoses NickJ, so is it worth changing? Do braided age?

griffs
04-10-2012, 04:28 PM
so. I have order new EBC pads and Hel braided hoses. I never did find out what was referred to in the above post with the shiny thing on the master cyl. I presume this could be the new stainless hose banjo???

I plan to check all pistons free and clean and then see how it goes.

Another question is can I get replacement seals for the master cylinder?

Cheers

gary tompkins
05-10-2012, 12:52 PM
Just try bleeding the system through properly with fresh fluid first. Even fluid that's just 12 months old is usually well past it's best in terms of performance.

If after bleeding it's still not good - look into better hoses, new pads or replacement disc.

griffs
05-10-2012, 03:26 PM
completely bled the system a few times and fluid is all new. No improvement there.

gary tompkins
05-10-2012, 04:38 PM
Are you 100% sure you got all the air out?

bluestoesonnose
06-10-2012, 06:43 AM
Just a thought, you'll find that braided hoses make very little if any difference from rubber ones, the difference is that the original hoses will be past their best so any new hose will help. Rubber hoses should be replaced every few years (we tend to change them every four to five years) whereas braided hoses last about twice that. Braided hoses are lighter but not as durable, hence the stainless wire on the outside, so keep an eye on them for damage.

Just remember that braided lines cannot be crimped and should be routed carefully.

Ok, for my next lesson "how to suck eggs"

griffs
06-10-2012, 04:03 PM
Hoses are 10 years old so definitely due a swap.

Absolutely 99.99% sure no air in system

griffs
12-11-2012, 08:12 AM
So. Replaced the hoses with Hel braided hoses and complely flushed and bled system.

Absolutely no difference. So I have new EBC pads. I have checked all 4 pistons and they all move freely, not sticking at all.

The brake lever is hard and not spongy. The pads have done about 200 miles so are bedded in.

There is no way I could lock the front wheel without a full grip and pulling as hard as possible. I can lock the wheel in the street, when it is damp but this is going at a speed of 10 mph and pulling as hard as I can with quite some force.

The only thing I can think of now is my master cylinder. Not sure if this needs attention or is it just me. From what I read when I continueed this post is that a single disk should be more than adequate.

Just for completeness I will upgrade the master cylinder, but does anyone know if parts are available and from where please??

Thanks

Griff

Sirc
12-11-2012, 09:33 AM
only just read whole thread griffs and I think you are getting warm! - there's a strong chance you have a master cylinder intended for twin discs as this will produce the symptoms you are describing. See if you can find some numbers on the cylinder - there is a 'proud' number in the casting plus a second number etched or stamped on from memory. It's not always as simple as just the bore size either as the ratio which results from the distance between the lever pivot and the push rod pivot also has a bearing on the effort required.

griffs
12-11-2012, 11:17 AM
Sirc,

I will have a looksie. The bike is twin disc ready. In that the mounting bracket for RG caliper is on the forks and rotor screws are on the wheel. I will look at part numbers.

Cheers