PDA

View Full Version : 14t Front Sprocket & Upper Chain Sliding Shoe

vmaxvmax
12-06-2011, 01:40 PM
Hi,
I have posted this question on Ducatisti - but no answers yet...

I have just changed the 15t front sprocket for a 14t sprocket. I notice that now as a result of the smaller sprocket, the chain appears to sit more tightly on the upper chain sliding shoe. I didn't take any notice of how it was with the original sprocket though. It also seems to be noisier than before (my imagination?) with a sort of 'whirring' noise.

Is this an issue? Has anyone else noticed this? It seems to me that the chain sliding shoe might now wear much more quickly...

Any thoughts?
Thank you in advance.
Francis

Stafford
12-06-2011, 02:03 PM
The 14t front is the cheap but NOT recommended for 525 chain option, go up three on the rear when you fit a new chain and add a link. I know people all go on about 14t front but it really is not the best solution IMHO.

Albie
12-06-2011, 02:18 PM
The 14t front is the cheap but NOT recommended for 525 chain option, go up three on the rear when you fit a new chain and add a link. I know people all go on about 14t front but it really is not the best solution IMHO.
I have to agree. Its the cheapest mod but you will have to make sure chain adjustment more than ever as the radius is smaller and will rub sooner. Im going to go up 2 on my 1100s when the chain shows wear or when I can afford to waste cash on a better chain.

Cheap mod but wont recommend

vmaxvmax
12-06-2011, 04:43 PM
Thanks for your comments so far. Thing is, I have now put the 14t front sprocket on - so will have to live with it - unless there is a problem with the contact between the chain and the upper chain sliding shoe.

Does anyone know if this is a problem?

slob
12-06-2011, 05:02 PM
I've been running a 14T front sprocket on my
my 1000 for the last 20k miles, keep the chain lubed and adjusted, haven't noticed any I'll effects,certainly hasn't worn the shoe out.

Albie
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Thanks for your comments so far. Thing is, I have now put the 14t front sprocket on - so will have to live with it - unless there is a problem with the contact between the chain and the upper chain sliding shoe.

Does anyone know if this is a problem?

Good maintainance all you need. Theres no reason you will have issues .

Capo
12-06-2011, 05:13 PM
The ride height has an effect on the chain/swing arm position