PDA

View Full Version : will Aprillia Ohlins forks fit monster?????

jerry
11-06-2011, 04:46 PM
will Aprillia OHLINS forks fit a monster S4 , i am fed up trying to get the showas to work properly even after spending loads on springs valving etc i reckon a set of Ohlins will sort it but most on ebay and in breakers are off Aprillias they use same brakes ,discs etc so i think they will fit

the standard showas are a compromised cheap design with a very suspect rebound circuit which even with revalves will never be efficient later ducatis use a much better fork design from showa after 2005 .but they wont fit my bike .

Kato
11-06-2011, 05:12 PM
Jerry, the Aprilia forks will fir subject to the usuall mods needed for fitting SBK forks, i.e you will need the yokes machined to accomodate, why will the later post 05 Ducati forks not fit??

rac3r
11-06-2011, 09:38 PM
I think Seby did this mod

jerry
12-06-2011, 02:38 AM
Jerry, the Aprilia forks will fir subject to the usuall mods needed for fitting SBK forks, i.e you will need the yokes machined to accomodate, why will the later post 05 Ducati forks not fit??

I have been told that the decent SBK showas or Ohlins from later bikes are different dimensions and brake mounts ????

and i am not sure which earlier SBK ones are the good forks

The r article below on DMF is a very detailed explanation of why the standard S4 type Showas are so crap basicly they do not have a proper rebound circuit like SBK , Ohlins or even Showas fitted to most Jap bikes and thats where the issues start .
I do not have acces to the machining facilities in Thailand and am fed up bringing the damn forks to UK now 3 times ..

www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=49759.15

rac3r
12-06-2011, 10:30 AM
What about M1100 forks? (I'm interested to know too if they fit) It would be great if you could have the new monster forks and brake set up

Albie
12-06-2011, 02:13 PM
What about M1100 forks? (I'm interested to know too if they fit) It would be great if you could have the new monster forks and brake set up

I reckon that unless they are 1100s ohlins I would go the route of 1098 like Big Oz did on his 696. They have had to be softened up though. Not ohlins but he paid not too much. More money was spent on top and bottom yokes.

jerry
12-06-2011, 05:37 PM
when i get back to the UK I am going to have a very serious chat with 2 Major ducati dealers and 2 well known aftermarket suspension companies , all 4 have relieved me of cash and sold me useless upgrades without pointing out the fact that the S4 forks have no rebound rods in and will never work properly with even upgraded valves sets ,wether racetech,Ktech or ohlins even changing springs or oil weights and levels will make no real difference the forks need a massive amount of machining with a custom made rebound rod all the way down to the cartridge instead of the mickey mouse system they have as standard

I am amazed that none of them knew this problem with the cheap Showas on S4 and and some other ducatis that they are completely different from showas on SBK and all serious Japanese bikes , in fact i actually am certain that one major dealers preparation guy knew this problem existed and was lazy and greedy when he did my forks last year as he has told a close friend of mine about the problem 3 years ago and my friend Paul put a set of ohlins on both his ducatis

I have been chating on line with some guys in the USA about this issue and the very detailed reports prepared by Torbjorn from Sweden about this issue including input from Ohlins who themselves were shocked at the dangerous potential of the type of showas when modified ,especially as when one dialled in rebound it removed ALL compression damping !!!!!!!!!

In fact i had restored my S4 showas to standard last new year as i was very worried about how they performed with revalves from racetech and hyperpro springs the bike was dangerously unstable and suffered from constant hydralic lock . with linear ohlins springs it was better but seemed to have real problems with compression damping and seeing Torbjorns research has clarified the issue for me totally.
The standard forks are so so but i have spent so much time getting the S4 perfect in the engine power and every other aspect and its the forks that have been the main weak point .

i have ridden Ducatis for 15 years and own 4 of them the other 3 all aircooled M750, 750ss and M900 all give confidence from front ends even though the 2 750s are non adjustable ..the S4 has never given me full confidence in its front end ,I love this machine and really want to make it perfect .

Capo
12-06-2011, 05:40 PM
I have a top yoke bored to 53mm its a factory DP item

rac3r
12-06-2011, 06:48 PM
I reckon that unless they are 1100s ohlins I would go the route of 1098 like Big Oz did on his 696. They have had to be softened up though. Not ohlins but he paid not too much. More money was spent on top and bottom yokes.

Is there anywhere I can read more about this mod?

Albie
12-06-2011, 06:52 PM

Yes you can

Here you go

http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=40187

rac3r
12-06-2011, 07:28 PM
Thanks Albie! :thumbsup:

If I hit the jackpot I'd like the ohlins/SBK front with 848/1098 wheels :D

jerry
13-06-2011, 02:52 AM

yes read the full article here

http://www.ducatimonsterforum.org/index.php?topic=49759.msg911563#msg911563

jerry
13-06-2011, 02:58 AM
I have a top yoke bored to 53mm its a factory DP item

I have flat bars on custom yokes on the S4 with risers will they fit? also i believe that the bottom yoke has to be shimmed as SBK forks are 53mm and Monsters are 54mm???
is that so .

am I also correct to assume that decent Showas were fitted to 996,998 ,999 749 and those are the ones to go for ?

I have spoken to my mate paul and he got Apprilia ohlins and modified his yokes to fit and used Ducati brakes and wheel so it can be done .

jerry
13-06-2011, 03:04 AM
Apparently Ktech can do this modification when they rebuild S4 showas with their revalve kits and the cost could be reasonable , i will give them a call,

Drake
30-06-2011, 06:29 PM
I know this is an old thread but if you fit Aprilia Ohlins forks to an S4 you have to bore out the yolkes right?
When that is done will the front wheel and brakes from my S4 bolt straight up?

jerry
01-07-2011, 04:12 AM
The brakes may need spacers on the discs ...5mm maybe the Aprillia forks are 10mm longer but thats not really an issue , axle is same