PDA

View Full Version : very lucky escape

jerry
10-06-2011, 08:03 AM
was relocating my S4 regulator today to give it a bit more cooler air by turning it upside down and also mounting it to a substantial aluminium plate to aid heatsink cooling may extend the life of the RR as on the S4 it hides behind the engine under the seat unlike aircooled monsters.

But i also found the 3 pin connector from the alternator to the RR was nearly fried and fused into a black meesy lump a few more miles and it would have taken out the Regulator /Rectifier and maybe the alternator ...ouch!!!!!!expensive ....but i caught it in time and replaced the offending connector which is cheap and easy to do..

I reckon it will now go on my monthly check list for all my Ducatis in the future ,

do yourselves a favour and check yours too.

analogue_rogue
10-06-2011, 08:17 AM
i had that on my m600.. check the regulator charging wheile its hot just in case...... ( i learnt the hard way)

Capo
10-06-2011, 10:07 AM
That connector is the major cause of Ducati Electrical Failures. It is barely adequate for the load in the first place, introduce corrosion to cause high resistance contact and sooner or later it will melt, often when the bike is used on a long trip providing the time for the connector to heat up.

Those of you riding to Belgium would be well advised to check and clean this connector.

the_adam
10-06-2011, 12:36 PM
:eyepopping: Don't suppose you've got a photo of this connector? Riding down to Coventry tonight and you've suddenly got me wanting to check mine (especially having destroyed one alternator last year!)

The regulator on my aircooled monster lives under the seat too, have heard of people relocating them to the bottom of the engine to get some airflow over it though

Capo
10-06-2011, 12:57 PM
Just follow the wires from the regulator, the connector is about a foot away and is coloured white

jerry
10-06-2011, 01:00 PM
dont put it under the engine as it will get soaked ..i did that with the S4 a 2 years ago I was nice and cool under the engine in the belly pan but It kept cutting out when very wet in tropical flood Thai downpours , it was the connectors again even sealed in heatshrink and self amalgy tape water got in .

so i put it back up high . my M750 and 750ss have it behind the headstock in the wind ,but S4 radiator stops that location .

I may look for a heavier connector the standard on is not up to the Amps going through it, or i could solder the cables together which would solve the problem but on long trips i cxarry a spare RR and a connector is convienient .

jerry
10-06-2011, 01:02 PM
tje connector has 3 square pins its off white plastic clip together type

utopia
10-06-2011, 01:03 PM
The connectors seem quite vulnerable to water. Mine got wet after only about a mile in a decent shower. A good dose of silicone grease might help. I relocated mine up under the tank, by the coils, where they seem to stay dry.