PDA

View Full Version : Carbon Fibre Repair

roundrock
06-06-2011, 04:52 PM
Hi All,

Had a low speed fall over the weekend on the dreaded diesel on a roundabout. My biggest problem is I have a carbon fibre tank and the handlebar managed to crack the tank, a split about 50mm long.
My question is does anyone know how or where I can get this repaired. I've Googled CF repairs but not had much luck??

Regards

Dave

Albie
06-06-2011, 05:04 PM
Hi All,

Had a low speed fall over the weekend on the dreaded diesel on a roundabout. My biggest problem is I have a carbon fibre tank and the handlebar managed to crack the tank, a split about 50mm long.
My question is does anyone know how or where I can get this repaired. I've Googled CF repairs but not had much luck??

Regards

Dave

Cant recommend any knowledge of what to do but here may be some useful tips places

http://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=en&pq=monsteralb&xhr=t&q=carbon%20fibre%20repair&cp=7&rlz=1C1GGGE_en-gbGB429&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.&biw=1024&bih=673&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=iw

Kato
06-06-2011, 05:17 PM
You need to brace the split from inside the tank using carbon sheet and fuel tolerent resin, then cut/grind a V along the length of the split on the outside of the tank then fill it with with the same resin, sand down and polish of paint, if not going to paint you will always be able to see the repair, unfortunately you will never get the full strengh back in the tank and if you are unlucky enough go down and hit the tank again there is a very good chance of it splitting open and dumping fuel over you and the bike, you won't want to hear this but it is safer to replace it, Sorry.

the_adam
07-06-2011, 11:48 AM
Kato's right with that, fairly sure carbon tanks were made illegal (for road use) because of the splitting problem? If you were to repair it and wanted to cover the damage without painting I guess you could do a carbon wrap, found a few pictures of it being done here http://cbrforum.com/forum/how-mechanical-40/how-wrap-your-tank-carbon-fiber-116926/

...but to be honest unless you're concerned about making the bike as light as possible, I'd just buy a cheap standard tank and wrap that instead :)