PDA

View Full Version : Great Gig....I Think

Kato
06-06-2011, 09:22 AM
I think I've seen the only band to ever do anything on time!!

Went out on Saturday night to see one of my fav bands (The Springbok Nude Girls) :thumbsup: most of you are now saying WHO?

Anyway support bands were due onstage from 7, wasn't too keen to see the first band but would have liked to see the second band (Van Coke Cartel) now I've been going to gigs for more years than I can remember and there’s always a drama of some sort, lights, sound, band just being arses and going on late, given all previous experience me and the 5 others went to a bar somewhere in Sheppard’s Bush for a few swift beers thinking the band will be on around 9:30, beer consumed, we head over to the O2, band were on stage as we enter OK I thought we’ve missed a couple of tunes, order beer from the bar, band stops playing and walks off stage?? WTF, band comes back on plays 2 tunes and says thank you London and good night, BO!!OCK$ :twak: with travel, beer and ticket for the show I reckon that to be about £25 a song :Furious:, my advice never trust musicians to be unreliable because once in every five or ten decades they will be on time and you'll miss the whole show:banghead::banghead::cry:

mintyhit
06-06-2011, 11:06 AM
I’ve had that exact same thing happen, walked into a gig to hear "thank you London, goodnight!"- it is incredibly irritating but it is usually not the bands fault (unless they are late) as the venue organises set times.

I started doing a bit of music journalism a few years ago and can confirm that promoters\press know the exact set times well in advance of the show… it is a total con that the venue often refuses to publish this information and instead give a “doors open” time to encourage people to get in there and start drinking £5.00+ plastic cups of **** quality larger.

utopia
06-06-2011, 11:08 AM
I did a similar thing last year.
I had seen Paul Barrere and Fred Tackett (Little Feat) play in Leicester a few days earlier and they had signed my monster and offered to put me on the guest list for a gig in Manchester.
I travelled up from Leicester to Manchester, picked up my youngest boy from his student digs and headed off to the gig for 8.30, assuming a 9.00 start.
Having no ticket, I had no idea (nor expectation) that the gig started at 7.30.
I think we caught the last three songs.

He11cat
06-06-2011, 01:23 PM
Its annoying when it says 7.30 then it starts at 9.30....
I venture out at 9 as thats when bands usually start and I also object to sitting somewhere drinking overpriced drink getting bored ...
Been a few bands where half way through Id have happily gone home!
Saw the worst ACDC tribute ever this week .... it was so so bad it was funny ..
Someone balanced his mate on his shoulders and then fell over totally messing his back up..
Then someone decked someone ... The guy dressed as Angus looked like Basil faulty but short and was terrified of women... specially I think as they planned to carry him ...
You couldn't tell what song it was by the intro.. in the end we where crying with laughter.
The dry ice went wrong and filled the venue so you could see nothing...
But at least people where rolling about laughing.
Oh the singers trousers fell down.

JerryXt
06-06-2011, 01:26 PM
So you can't be bothered to get there in time and you're blaming the band for being on time?? I've heard it all now...

:D

He11cat
06-06-2011, 01:32 PM
lol there is that... if its a free pub band and I miss it tough on me!
But if its a major expensive gig like the crazy money I have paid for some .... I get there when they say to get there .... and then get bored :)

Stafford
06-06-2011, 01:59 PM
Well that's something you have in common with Rossi now, you were both a bit late at the weekend. :flamed:

slob
06-06-2011, 05:13 PM
Ja bro, I know them, that's Arno Carstens...

On a happier note I got last minute tickets to see Jack Bruce @Festival Hall and was amazed to find half the rear stalls empty. Ian Siegal as a support act was amost worth the ticket price on his own. Jack Bruce is still a legend on the bass, even if his voice isn't quite what it once was... and then he brought on Joe Bonamassa as special guest guitarist for the second half of the set!

Albie
06-06-2011, 05:28 PM
Its annoying when it says 7.30 then it starts at 9.30....
I venture out at 9 as thats when bands usually start and I also object to sitting somewhere drinking overpriced drink getting bored ...
Been a few bands where half way through Id have happily gone home!
Saw the worst ACDC tribute ever this week .... it was so so bad it was funny ..
Someone balanced his mate on his shoulders and then fell over totally messing his back up..
Then someone decked someone ... The guy dressed as Angus looked like Basil faulty but short and was terrified of women... specially I think as they planned to carry him ...
You couldn't tell what song it was by the intro.. in the end we where crying with laughter.
The dry ice went wrong and filled the venue so you could see nothing...
But at least people where rolling about laughing.
Oh the singers trousers fell down.
Sounds like a great gig :rolleyes: Must make sure Me, AlanC and the other halfs get to London on time then next month to see the Blockheads. Can't wait so not too much beer then.

Kato
06-06-2011, 05:44 PM
korrekte, Rob regtig naffed af dat ek gemis hulle, en almal vir 'n drankie

Nickj
06-06-2011, 06:48 PM
taal Timothy...

He11cat
06-06-2011, 09:37 PM
That will be good Albie!! Hope you have a great time!!
Yes this band where interesting to say the least .. I've been to some "rum
old gigs " the Funniest Angus Young ever!
I wish I could show Gordon he'd cry with laughter .. It made the clip of worst final countdown look like Pink Floyd !

skank
08-06-2011, 05:31 AM
bubblegum on my boots today....

I think it's 'regtig naffed dat ek hulle gemis het' ...maybe...