PDA

View Full Version : Starter Solenoid

Jungle24
06-06-2011, 08:51 AM
I posted up an issue with my S2r800 starting intermittantly a week ago.

I have tried bridging the block connector and it made no difference isolatng the sidestand switch.

I had the assistance of a guy from the pub who is an ex Ducati mechanic (more on this later) who tested the connectors current and it was ok. He also checked the current on the connector by the solenoid on the other side of the bike and this too is getting power. He has advised that i need a new starter solenoid in his opinion. The bike starts when i bridge the solenoid, with sparks!!

Before I splash out £60 for a new starter solenoid does all of this sound right as I dont want to waste money!

Cheers for advice and hopefully you can understand my issue by my garbled attempt at mechanic speak....

Jim

Stafford
06-06-2011, 09:26 AM
If you have power at the low tension side of the solenoid but no go and the bike starts when you short the high tension side then I would also suspect the solenoid. Providing the power to the solenoid is not breaking down under load as you only test it with a multimeter.

gary tompkins
06-06-2011, 12:52 PM
Like Stafford said check you have 12V getting to the solenoid from the handlebar button

I've had a break in the loom wires from the switch that killed the power and stopped the bike starting

Jungle24
06-06-2011, 02:37 PM
Good point, I am sure it had full power going to it and have bought a new solenoid so hopefully this will sort the issue! Nothing worse than having a bike that wont start.

gary tompkins
06-06-2011, 03:19 PM
Check for voltage while moving bars lock to lock

might be intermittantly making connection if loom is damaged near headstock

Jungle24
06-06-2011, 04:16 PM
Hmm ok we didnt check that, I will retest to ensure it isnt a loom issue as once I open the solenoid I cant get a refund? Cheers GT!

Albie
06-06-2011, 04:24 PM
New solenoid always good to have if not. Always a secondhand market on here,

Jungle24
07-06-2011, 01:04 PM
Got the part now to fit it! I assume battery must be disconnected or I will develop a spiky haircut? Anything else I should know beforehand? Cheers Jim.

the_adam
07-06-2011, 03:07 PM
Hmm ok we didnt check that, I will retest to ensure it isnt a loom issue as once I open the solenoid I cant get a refund? Cheers GT!

I had a problem a little while ago where a cable tie had slipped and gradually sliced through a bundle of cables. Didn't notice until the bike started cutting out when I turned right! It was unfortunate, but there's no reason it couldn't happen on any monster really, bit of tape or something underneath them would have saved me a lot of trouble :thumbsup:

Don't think you'll be needing to do anything else before fitting it but it'd probably be best to double-check with someone else! :)

Jungle24
08-06-2011, 07:38 AM
Well after methodically removing the starter solenoid and replacing with a new one - nothing at all! Great! Am going to have to get a electrician to have a good look to find this fault. It could be the loom or a split cable, just finding out exactly what is the hard part!

Jungle24
14-06-2011, 01:31 PM
UPDATE! - My very reasonable mechanic has found the fault - corroded wire off the loom down by the righhand knee - He said I would have never found it in a million years! he has fixed it all for the princely sum of £90! - Big up to AVSCO in Watford - Andy is a rare breed of mechanic in the sense that he cares about giving good service for a reasonable price (£45 per hour)

If anyone wants to buy a used starter solenoid I have one!

Cant wait to get out for a ride!!

Thanks for all advice guys!!!

Scott1
14-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Jees, what a nightmare, I bet your relieved. Worth keeping in mind for when mine breaks down.

gary tompkins
14-06-2011, 02:56 PM
It's worth checking later EFI monsters, S2R & S4R for water in the loom. It gets in at the headstock at the loom plugs around near the instruments, and gradually fills up the plastic sleeving around the wires. Both Shuffy and Scrapps have had this problem, and many dealers know about it. Rosso Corsa cut a slit in the lowest point on Shuffy's S2R1000 loom and water pissed out like a hose pipe. There are splices and soldered joints in the loom at that point, poorly insulated with tape that just sit in the water and rot. Running a flyscreen helps keep rain water out.

Earlier monsters up to Y2K don't seem to have this problem.

The main loom is tightly wrapped in fabric tape rather than a loose plastic sleeve - both my 900ies are ok.

Jungle24
14-06-2011, 03:28 PM
Cheers GT I will get a splice cut in asap! Scott - BIG BIG relief!! - You always fear a very expensive bill with Ducatis and with a baby on the way I feared having to leave it laid up all summer! Any rideouts planned in the near future?