PDA

View Full Version : Connector from Kick Stand cut out....

Jungle24
31-05-2011, 04:45 PM
I am having problem with my bike not starting 50% of the time. I have identified that it seems to be the connector on the left side of the bike as you sit on it, behind the treliss. It leads down to the kickstand! I have tried cleaning it and cable tying it tight vertically to ensure a better fit but the problem still persists.

The bike will not turn over or anything then after wiggling the conneter it relictantly starts! is it this connector or something more sinister?

Is this a common issue like the Oil pressure switch with the water? And how much does one of the new connectors cost? Is it relatively easy to fix too?

Any help appreciated!

Had a result with the belts - 2k left on them!! I thought they needs changing every 10k but its 12k according to Duc Aylesbury! Whoo hoo!!

Cheers,

Jim.

utopia
31-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Sounds like a connection fault somewhere between the connector block and the sidestand switch, or else a fault with the switch itself.
If its anything like my 750, the connector has three poles, but only two of them actually do anything...one is blanked off on one side.
I'd be inclined to remove the switch and its wiring up to the connector, then bridge the two active poles in the remaining half of the connector block with a short piece of stiff wire bent into the shaple of a long-legged staple. Then tape the whole block up to keep water out.
You should then have a bike which will start and run with the stand down or up, and you can investigate the problem further at your leisure...or leave it without the switch, which is how I have my bike. You just need to remember to check that the stand is up before pulling away.

gary tompkins
31-05-2011, 09:20 PM
Had a result with the belts - 2k left on them!! I thought they needs changing every 10k but its 12k according to Duc Aylesbury! Whoo hoo!!

12,000 miles or every 2 years - which ever arrives sooner

Trent
01-06-2011, 04:56 AM
+1 for what Utopia said.

If you want to keep the side stand switch, and it's the connector that's the problem (as opposed to the switch), pull it to bits to see what the problem is - you'll need a small piece of wire (paper clip might work?) to open the locking tabs that hold the metal connector pins in the plugs.
It could be a broken wire on one of the connector pins.

If you need to replace the connector, these guys have them (about half way down the page)
http://www.vehicle-wiring-products.eu/VWP-onlinestore/connectors/multiconnectors.php

Jungle24
01-06-2011, 06:42 AM
Cheers guys will investigate over the weekend! Yep -12k or 2yrs was aware of that but thanks anyway!