PDA

View Full Version : pro-bolt

the_adam
29-05-2011, 05:46 PM
Wondered if anyone else has had trouble with probolt engine kits? I fitted mine just before easter and some of them are fading to pink already :( Others ended up chipped and a couple of heads snapped off when I was putting them on too (and I was being careful/using a torque wrench!)

I'd just hoped for a bit better with spending that much money on them, will stick to paint in future...

BluprintZ
29-05-2011, 05:58 PM
I bought a set from ProBolt when i re-built the Monnie in 2009, don't remember having any issues with them tarnishing, you did get the stainless set i take it?

Some of the allen bolts i used on other parts of the bike, i bought from a boat chandlery not far from my place, i was amazed at how cheap they were from there, i've also used them for replacing some of the bolts on the Triumph.

G ; )

PDS
29-05-2011, 06:24 PM
Personally never been able to stomach the price of pro bolts kits so cant tell you what the quality is like. however for the price of some of the kits i would really want a top class product, it has to be worth dropping them a email if you are unhappy with the product nothing ventured nothing gained.

the_adam
29-05-2011, 07:33 PM
Yep, think I will be getting in touch - I was just wondering if it might have been a common problem, I've also had a couple of valve caps and spocket nuts from them and they still seem to be fine...guess the heat will have sped things up a bit though. It's not too bad yet but you can definitely tell the difference

They're anodised aluminium ones not stainless, they started out red (to be fair, some of them still are... ) I was painting the engine last holiday and thought I'd try to make it a bit more special, don't think I'd have paid out for it otherwise :)

Pedro
29-05-2011, 09:57 PM
Anodised ally bolts will fade pretty quickly - to be honest I wouldn't use them as as they're soft as cheese and too easy to damage. Swap them for stainless, they'll last longer and look much better

the_adam
15-07-2011, 10:19 AM
Hmm...another complaint about them unfortunately. One engine bolt had been completely untouched since I fitted it, then I went out this morning to find the head sat on the floor :eyepopping:

It's not like there was even any temperature change, I was messing about with the seat until past midnight last night and nothing was wrong, by the time I went in the bike had been cold for a good 7 hours...it's already booked in for some work tonight, going to see if they can remove the rest of the bolt while the casing is off and just switch back to the old ones. The aluminium ones were expensive enough so definitely won't be going for any stainless ones. Standard bolts may be less shiny but at least they worked :(

Dukedesmo
15-07-2011, 11:18 AM
I've bought a few pro-bolt stainless and titanium bolts but only when they were on offer - quality was fine. Personally I wouldn't touch aluminium bolts.

the_adam
15-07-2011, 11:23 AM
I wouldn't either anymore, if I want anything shiny I'll just spend some time painting the normal ones! :) Always been a bit suspicious of aluminium but I assumed a well-known company like that would sell something that was at least fit for purpose...

the_adam
19-07-2011, 12:21 PM
Just thinking now that they're being replaced (Ducati snapped a couple working on it too!) ...I also have a set of sprocket nuts from them - bit unsure about those now although they have been on for much longer without any problems. Any thoughts on them? Seem to see Monsters with anodised ones quite frequently, although I guess that doesn't necessarily mean they're all aluminium...

Dukedesmo
19-07-2011, 04:06 PM
I'm sure I've seen alloy nuts with steel inserts before? but I wouldn't use aluminium fasteners on anything that needs any strength as theyre just too weak.

Stick with the originals, stainless or titanium except in critical area then only use the original or equivalent high-tensile.

DucHead
29-07-2011, 04:02 PM
I have Pro-Bolt aluminium engine kits on two of my bikes (will order another for my new-to-me Bandit soon), and I've never had a problem - faded anodizing or otherwise.

Yorkie
29-07-2011, 06:54 PM
Being tight and Northern i went for this cheap option:

http://www.screwfix.com/c/screws-nails-fixings/socket-screws/cat840102

So far none have fallen off, broken or failed in any way, and if any did look tatty off it would come and a new one on.

I wouldn't use cheap stuff on load bearing or critical parts but for fixtures and fittings they do the job.

Yorkie

Paranoid Dave
29-07-2011, 08:00 PM
No experience of ali bolts but know they are specific on torque settings, too loose and fall out, too tight and snap.
Stick to stainless.

He11cat
29-07-2011, 11:37 PM
Stainless are good.. I have purple probolt bits and not faded.
However red seems to fade like a .... And to pale pinky colour
I presume red and yellow fade badly ..