PDA

View Full Version : Won't start!

cairojay
24-05-2011, 01:03 PM
I guess it had to happen to me at some point...Bike's been fantastic for 3 years 18.5k miles. Warranty ran out last month, today I drained the battery trying to start it, now having it recovered to Riders to run diagnostics.

Riding to Assen next month to watch the MotoGP

Just hope this isn't the start of things to come....:worried:

J.P
24-05-2011, 01:19 PM
Have you changed the battery before or is it still the original ?

cairojay
24-05-2011, 01:43 PM
the battery's a replacement - yuasa, I drained it trying to start the bike

cairojay
25-05-2011, 03:57 PM
Update.....Had the bike recovered to Luigi's, just had the diagnostics done, burnt out starter motor, solenoid and failed RPM sensor, looking at a bill of £600, watched my wage slip burst into flames today. Assen before next pay day. I think I will start hitching a lift now just in time for the race. I am feeling sick to my boots.

desmo
25-05-2011, 07:09 PM
Ooh dear.
Don't want to make you feel worse, but it was probably you who damaged the starter motor & solenoid trying to start it?

gary tompkins
25-05-2011, 08:15 PM
Yep running them continuously to the point of a dead battery tends to do that

cairojay
25-05-2011, 08:40 PM
Yep - its an expensive lesson alright, if I had known I would've been looking at a bill of £50 quid to replace the RPM sensor! Not only that got to wait 7 days or so for the replacement starter motor. I cannot begin to describe how gutted and stupid I feel.

cairojay
31-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Should be getting the bike back from Luigi's this week, decided to see if I can get the starter motor rebuilt considering the cost of a new one, does anyone know any company/person who does this?

Rally
31-05-2011, 01:20 PM
These people may be worth a try?

http://www.remanufacturers.co.uk/prod-xf/STARTERS1.asp

There is also a place in Salisbury that do it, but for the life of me I can't remember their name.

PDS
31-05-2011, 08:43 PM
OP you sound as lucky as me :) (although touch wood Ducatis been ok, animals costing me a fortune at present) . remember the good days forget the bad.

cairojay
01-06-2011, 08:12 AM
Thanks I see it as lessons learnt - spoke to a starter motor remanufacturers yesterday courtesey of Rally (thankyou!) they were really helpful so I'm gonna send the old motor to them to get a price for a rebuild

cairojay
03-06-2011, 08:16 AM
Starter Motor Update.....

So the bill came to £800 - new starter motor, new solenoid, new RPM Sensor and Luigi's cut me a deal on labour.
I reckon my original starter motor has always been dodgy from the day I bought the bike - it has always struggled crank the engine, regularly tripping out before the bike started, I had a problem with the sprag clutch which had to be realigned, I also ruined a battery once before.

With the new one it spins much faster and the bike starts immedidately - completely different sound to it. Smoother and more efficient.

sburrows87
03-06-2011, 08:17 AM
Glad it's sorted for you now mate - shame about the cost though!