PDA

View Full Version : The damage

pegboy
19-05-2011, 10:32 AM
Here is what happen to the top yoke. Also, the other picture is of the rear fuel tank bracket which is bent (damage2), any ideas on how to straighten without the obvious bashing it with a hammer.

analogue_rogue
19-05-2011, 10:51 AM
Doesn't look too thick.. pliers and brute force.....

the_adam
19-05-2011, 11:04 AM
:eyepopping: I've got a black top yoke from a 695 lying around if you needed a replacement, not sure whether it's a straight swap though. Bars too but the right side is slightly bent and touches the tank before lock, relatively low speed crash.
Doesn't look too thick.. pliers and brute force.....
Either that or put a long screwdriver through the hole and use it as a lever to straighten it up. Saves possible plier-marks on the bracket, although you have to be a bit more careful about keeping it straight :)

pegboy
19-05-2011, 11:14 AM
I have a rubber mallet, the sand filled ones, maybe some sort or protection and then some gentle whacks???

Rally
19-05-2011, 11:23 AM
Yeah, gentle whacks with a block of wood on it first should do the job nicely. :D

gary tompkins
19-05-2011, 12:24 PM
What's the headstock like - front wheel and USD legs? I would seriously consider getting the frame checked out on a jig, and take a good look at the lockstops on frame and bottom yoke for damage too.

the_adam
19-05-2011, 12:36 PM
Got to say, with damage like that to the yoke I was surprised the rest of the bike wouldn't have been written off for one reason or another, did it happen on track?

utopia
19-05-2011, 12:39 PM
Seconded. And, sadly, I would think that further damage is likely, though depending on the exact nature of the impact, you may get lucky. Hope so.

Kato
19-05-2011, 12:45 PM
Got to go with GT on this....With that sort of bang on the front you MUST get the frame jigged and tested before you even think about putting it back together, there is no way that the front tube didn't move after the force of snapping the top yoke 1 or 2 degrees out (which you'll never see visually) will make the bike handle like a pig and you'll end up crashing again:eek:

pegboy
19-05-2011, 02:10 PM
The impact was that i ran into the back of a car:banghead:

I am 99.9% positive the the forks were full compressed upon impact as i am sure the back wheel started lifting before the big bang, I had a good look around the headstock, tube and lockstops etc last night and can not see any signs of damage, cracks or ceases etc and i know it's only with the eye so it's not accurate but nothing obvious.:worried:

The forks appear straight but that not saying much really with the naked eye, and seam to function as normal, will stirp tem and check thou. The front rim is damaged slightly on the right side only as i tried to avoid the car and move left.

To check the frame straightness will need to be completely stripped or can it be done complete??

Kato
19-05-2011, 02:47 PM
Needs a strip down, the good news is these guy's will check it for £75
http://motorcycle-frame-straightening.co.uk/contact-abba-motorcycle-engineering.asp

gary tompkins
19-05-2011, 05:21 PM
Maidsone motoliner also offer the same service - more expensive at £150

http://www.motoliner.com/

It's where the local guys got bent rims sorted recently

pegboy
19-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Maidsone motoliner also offer the same service - more expensive at £150

http://www.motoliner.com/

It's where the local guys got bent rims sorted recently

I came across this guy and your the third person who recommended him so must be good, thank you.

Stafford
19-05-2011, 06:23 PM
Again with GT and Kato on this, with that distortion to the tank mount the frame must have been distorted as well. Make sure you get it checked.

Albie
19-05-2011, 06:26 PM
Looks like its been 'SQUEEZED' I would be checking the lot. How's your Gonads after that.

pegboy
19-05-2011, 07:04 PM
Well funny you should say that as when I hit the brake in gripped the tank with my legs and the inside near the groin was very sore with slight bruising I think that is how I bent that part.

I checked the lock on the handle bars and again never had much of a reference before but do remember thinking the right side was a bit close to the tank for my liking and when I checked it before pulling apart it looked the same.

But yet again it's the naked eye!!!