PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Tap

Madamejones
17-05-2011, 08:18 PM
Other half has just changed my fuel filter and replaced the fuel pipes as they were perishing. Whilst draining the fuel out one of the pipes actually split......just find it a bit strange that my 600 doesn't have a fuel tap when most bikes including my learner, older 125cc did :scratch:

Rally
17-05-2011, 08:39 PM
That will be because it will be sucked in via a diaphragm pump I expect with the vaccumn coming from the carbs. It's getting more common with most bikes now.

gary tompkins
17-05-2011, 09:56 PM
Some M600's do have fuel taps - even with diaphragm pump

My 1995 model had one but later versions lost it

Dookbob
18-05-2011, 08:47 AM
Other half has just changed my fuel filter and replaced the fuel pipes as they were perishing. Whilst draining the fuel out one of the pipes actually split......just find it a bit strange that my 600 doesn't have a fuel tap when most bikes including my learner, older 125cc did :scratch:

You do have a fuel tap, its just that you dont need to operate it manually.

satan916
18-05-2011, 11:27 AM
If you feel so inclined, you could always fit an in-line tap, I did just to make it easier when you have to drain the tank to change the £60 low fuel level sensor :Furious:

He11cat
18-05-2011, 11:38 AM
It threw me at first all my bikes had manual taps !
Kinda like when I got a bike with the choke on the handlebars ... I was used to them being down by the engine.....

Im so old fashioned its scary...

utopia
18-05-2011, 12:03 PM
Vacuum operated fuel taps are nothing new...my mate's 1968 suzuki T200 had one.

Gilps
18-05-2011, 01:29 PM
It's an odd one as carbed SS's with the same engines and carbs are fitted with taps.

utopia
18-05-2011, 06:42 PM
It's an odd one as carbed SS's with the same engines and carbs are fitted with taps.

Could that be because they have an internal (ie within the tank itself) fuel pump, which is able to simply exhaust back to the tank in the event of the fuel tap being inadvertantly left in the off position, thus avoiding damage to the pump...?
My knowledge is limited though...I'm just guessing....maybe the external vacuum pump on my monster has a feed (pipe) back to tank as well....I haven't really looked that closely at mine.

Madamejones
25-05-2011, 10:10 AM
If you feel so inclined, you could always fit an in-line tap, I did just to make it easier when you have to drain the tank to change the £60 low fuel level sensor :Furious:

Yeah, my sensor has also gone but in two minds whether to replace it...i just have to get into the habit of resetting my mileometer to judge it!