PDA

View Full Version : exbox weight

the_adam
16-05-2011, 10:22 AM
Hi all,

I took off my exhausts last week for a bit of a clean, and came to the conclusion that it actually looks quite good without them!

Since then I've come across a nice looking exbox being sold for a fairly good price...only trouble is it's in America :worried: Wondered if anyone might know roughly how much they weigh so I can work out what the postage might cost? Had a good search but I can't seem to find anything

Diego
16-05-2011, 11:04 AM
QBA should know. Drop him a pm

Qba
16-05-2011, 11:08 AM
Best option would be to email producer.
They're very helpful.
I needed some info about the system too some time ago and had quick reply from them.

Qba
16-05-2011, 11:10 AM
Sorry I know it's noticeably lighter if compared to the standard system when on the bike, but no idea about the actual weight.

the_adam
16-05-2011, 12:30 PM
Thanks, will see if I can get anything from them :)

bex
16-05-2011, 01:11 PM
When I enquired with QD last winter when looking to buy, I was contacted by Dynomax UK - their uk supplier apparently. You could get in touch with them as I'm sure they have all the technical info - obviously you dont have to let on that you aren't planning to buy new from them.

The website seems to be down, but I have the number from before 01526 399370.

BluprintZ
16-05-2011, 02:25 PM
I bought one a few years ago, through Dynomax.
It took three months to arrive, although they did say it would take that long when i ordered it, due to the factory in Italy only doing them in batches, i just missed the last one that Dynomax had, so i had to wait for the next lot, although it did arrive when they said it would.

G ; )

bex
16-05-2011, 02:43 PM
Mine was only a couple of weeks, but unfortunately a few days later than I'd hoped and I was in India when they attempted to deliver it several times. Seems there was some miscommunication with instructions I had left while I was away and they sent it back to Italy in the end!! Worked out eventually though.

Yeh, I'd give Dynomax a call, they were helpful enough with me.

Panther
16-05-2011, 02:58 PM
Don't forget import tax too.

Another option is to get someone to make you an exhaust to your preferred design

the_adam
16-05-2011, 03:08 PM
Yep, I'm definitely not going for a new one :)

Was wondering about getting one a while ago but I gave up on it with the price and knowing it'd look out of place on my bike unless I also had it coated black... Would imagine international shipping will quickly make this one non-cheap as well but at least it's the right colour! I can't really get it without having a reasonable offer on the termis anyway, have to see what happens...

Am I right in thinking it's possible to remove the baffle in these? From what I've seen they're not exactly quiet anyway, just being a curious Adam :)

the_adam
16-05-2011, 03:18 PM
Hi panther,

I'd wondered about that, quite like the look of the boom tubes copies I've seen too... Trouble is I have to commute on the bike so I needed to balance having the underbelly exhaust with not annoying too many neighbours, this seemed like the best compromise really :)

I thought that import tax only applied on new items, could be completely wrong about that though? That may be something to think about...

Panther
16-05-2011, 03:22 PM
You could get the seller to put a lower value on the item when shipping as tax is .....30ish % ???

Even if you get a silver one you can always get out the black BBQ paint. Don't forget to check Italian ebay too..........

gary tompkins
16-05-2011, 05:44 PM
Customs won't get fooled by this - people try it on all the time

Expect to get hit with 20% vat + a handling fee if shipped from outside the EU

spareshackltd
17-05-2011, 08:50 AM
A Quat D Exbox weighs 8kg when boxed.

Capo
17-05-2011, 10:42 AM
Customs won't get fooled by this - people try it on all the time

Expect to get hit with 20% vat + a handling fee if shipped from outside the EU

+ import duty

littlejimmy12
17-05-2011, 10:52 AM
As per Panther I'd go the custom route. Mine were boom tube inspired and I paid £800 but to be honest I should have shopped around.

BluprintZ
17-05-2011, 11:30 AM
Yep, I'm definitely not going for a new one :)

Am I right in thinking it's possible to remove the baffle in these? From what I've seen they're not exactly quiet anyway, just being a curious Adam :)

Mine cost me £900 from Dynomax, pretty expensive i thought at the time, although looking at the price of some systems for Jap bikes, i think they were probably worth the money...just!

The Ex-box sounds brilliant, i didn't feel it was over loud really, not much louder than the TORS (Triumph off-road system) i have on the Thruxton.
There are two slashcut pipes that come out of the ex-box, but you get a "blanking" plate with the kit, that fastens onto one of the pipes, with three small allen bolts, this is supposed to quieten it down a bit...i never used mine :biggrin:.

G ; )

gary tompkins
17-05-2011, 11:38 AM
As per Panther I'd go the custom route. Mine were boom tube inspired and I paid £800 but to be honest I should have shopped around.

£800 :eyepopping:

That probably works out at about £100 a foot - what a bargain

littlejimmy12
17-05-2011, 12:31 PM
£800 :eyepopping:

That probably works out at about £100 a foot - what a bargain

Thats a little unnecessary since you know nothing about the work that went into it, the set up post installation and the finish on top!:mad:

the_adam
17-05-2011, 12:53 PM
Thanks for all the replies :thumbsup:

Considering how little pipework there is to the boom tubes I had wondered about cutting down the header pipes slightly and working out a way to attach baffles to them. As you said though, there's the setup, finishing etc to get right, decided that I'd almost certainly make a (very noisy) mess of it in the end! Plus I do quite like the look of the exbox when it's fitted with a bellypan. Know that's not something everyone agrees on :)

Had a look into it and decided the US one is just going to cost too much to post/import it. Would be nearly as much as a new one in the end! Although I have found a slightly nearer one too. Well...it's western Europe...less import problems at least :D

Going to have another good think but if it happens, there may be a pair of low-level termis (with 10-15 000miles) looking for an owner soon if anyone might need them -Mel would have first refusal on them if she hasn't found anything else though. Will make a thread when/if the time comes

gary tompkins
17-05-2011, 01:27 PM
Thats a little unnecessary since you know nothing about the work that went into it, the set up post installation and the finish on top!:mad:

My enginnering background still tells me that's a lot of money for very little exhaust

Still - your money and your choice

littlejimmy12
17-05-2011, 02:08 PM
My enginnering background still tells me that's a lot of money for very little exhaust

Still - your money and your choice

My Legal background tells me I can afford it

gary tompkins
17-05-2011, 02:11 PM
Fair enough - do you do free cash loans? ;)

Panther
17-05-2011, 05:34 PM
GT, less is more :P

But for £800 LJ, has the exact exhausts he wants, to his own design, which has been set up for his bike too. What the price of Termi's new?

I do sometime wonder about the price of exhausts because mine were quite cheap to buy (they did use the original header) and it makes me wonder why termis/ branded exhausts are so expensive especially when there made on a production line/ batch production.

:idea: adam, you could go for the 2-1 one using your termi's so you will have the no-exhaust look from one side. This will be cheap and you can sell your for exhaust :). (I think some of the DD rider do this on there bike, I could be wrong)

Good luck with your decision

P

the_adam
17-05-2011, 10:11 PM
It always seemed strange to me that they can charge so much for what is essentially just a tube that may or may not have had a bit of flow analysis done on it. But we seem to pay for them anyway!

The 2-1 is definitely a thought, to be honest I'll probably just leave it as it is for now if I can't find a cheaper one. It's not that I dislike the termis really, just saw the chance to do something a bit different. And make it look a it less like a malevolent wheelbarrow :D

http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/the_adam_m695/DSCF0484.jpg
Not a great picture and I know it needs a clean...
http://i1014.photobucket.com/albums/af266/the_adam_m695/DSCF0590.jpg

Panther
18-05-2011, 03:06 PM
Adam, did you paint the text on your clutch over or use a sticker?

You can always get someone to chop your termi down a little, if you think their a little to long.

the_adam
18-05-2011, 03:37 PM
Do you know how much shortening them affects the volume? It's something I'd considered, don't like using baffles but they're a little on the loud side for everyday use already...

The text was just painted by hand, you can tell but have to get fairly close first :) I didn't do too badly considering how hot it was that day, it was like painting with melted cheese!

steeevvvooo
18-05-2011, 07:36 PM
cutting down would make them louder... but, you could tailor the sound by chopping them down, then modifying the baffles.

Either make the baffle shorter, or drill holes in in, until the desired noise is found.

the_adam
18-05-2011, 09:09 PM
To my ears the pitch of the sound seems to be changed by the baffles too, could just be that they cut it down so much I'm only hearing the airbox though?

I looked at cutting them down before I realised the immediate neighbours liked the bike...my thought was, since the Ducati baffles have closed ends is removing the end completely going to be essentially the same thing as running open pipes anyway? Got a "universal" open baffle for the (very short) exhaust on my old bike that didn't seem to make a huge amount of difference, I might try attaching it to one side tomorrow and see what happens :) I'm a bit wary of drilling them, got a mate that put a few extra holes in his and found it made an interesting whistling noise! :chuckle: