PDA

View Full Version : Swingarm Change

satan916
13-05-2011, 08:51 AM
Just got my hands on a new shiny braced Metmachex swingarm for the S4 but need a bit of advice on fitting.
1. Am I correct in assuming the pivot bolt can be gently drifted out fairly easily once the snap rings have been removed (hoping it's not seized in the bearings)

2. I'm going to replace the bearings, seals and snap rings whilst I'm at it, will these drift out easily (perhaps a bit of heat on the cases first?)

3. Got new shims for the arm, are they replaced in a set order? (the parts listing gives a set number of shims, so I'm assuming they are always replaced the same as they were removed)

Cheers for any advice

slob
13-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Don't forget the pinch bolts before you start trying to remove the pivot.

satan916
13-05-2011, 11:56 AM
Yep waaaaaaaay ahead of you on that one Slob, but thanks for the reminder anyway

Mr Cake
13-05-2011, 12:10 PM
I wouldn't heat the cases up too much if at all. Warm ally is easier warped when you drift the bearings out. Drift the first one out then find a socket with the same diameter as the outer race of the bearing and, using a long extension, drift the second one out from the same side as the bearing you've just removed. You'll get a nice square crack at her then.

C

slob
13-05-2011, 12:55 PM
have a read of this
http://www.ukmonster.co.uk/monster/showthread.php?t=37764

Dukedesmo
13-05-2011, 12:57 PM
Personally, unless the bearings are no good I'd leave them as I can see removal being more trouble than it's worth.

As for the shims, use what you need to take up any play and to get the best alignment of the sprockets.

Mr Cake
13-05-2011, 01:10 PM
Bloody hell! After reading that link I'd leave them well alone, haha!

C

satan916
13-05-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for the pointers, unless the bearings are sh****d I shall be leaving well alone and just replacing the shims. Hopefully the pivot isn't seized to the inner bearing races