PDA

View Full Version : Installing Crash Bungs

Zbornak
12-05-2011, 07:13 PM
My first installation of an accessory for my bike is some R&G crash protectors.

The instructions tell me to remove the middle engine mount. As far as I can tell, that only leaves the rear engine mount holding up the engine. Do I have put something underneath it to stop it from falling out?

pegboy
12-05-2011, 07:17 PM
I would no need to jack it right up just a little to hold the weight, if you have the bolt with that screws into the frame then you will need to drill it out

good luck

Grumpy
12-05-2011, 07:18 PM
My first installation of an accessory for my bike is some R&G crash protectors.

The instructions tell me to remove the middle engine mount. As far as I can tell, that only leaves the rear engine mount holding up the engine. Do I have put something underneath it to stop it from falling out?

Try putting the new spindle in as you remove the old.
Push the old one out using the new one as a drift.

dunlop0_1
12-05-2011, 07:42 PM
If it is the same as Louise's M600 it will have two M10 allen bolts one either side.

Just remove/replace one at a time and you will have no need to support the engine. On the right side just watch out for the 5mm spacer falling out from between the frame and engine.

Half Pint
13-05-2011, 10:14 AM
mine was a pain in the backside... looked like the bolts were smaller than the actual R&G kit i was trying to install, even after checking this site it looks like on some monsters you may need to drill out the hole to fit the kit.

Zbornak
17-05-2011, 12:15 AM
Thanks for the replies. Turns out it was one single bolt so Grumpy's method was sufficient.

Rowly
20-03-2014, 05:36 AM
I'm always checking forums for help and advice and last night fitted R&G protectors on my 1100 evo.
For anyone else like me who is dangerously half capable of any engineering task given a set of instructions this is what I learnt:
The whole thing was, in hindsight fairly straightforward.
There was only ONE nut on the original M1100 evo) engine mount bolt. Mine was on the offside (R).
"Drifting" turned out to be a little more mechanical than delicate precision engineering. I had chocked the engine up a bit and put the bike on a paddock stand. I found that the engine/frame holes weren't quite lined up as the original popped out so ended up fairly forcibly whacking the R&G bolt at an angle to compensate and eventually got it through without damage.
The rest was as described in the instructions.
I would add that if you are a perfectionist take some time bolting and unbolting the R&G nuts on the bar to ensure that they stick out equally, I found that there is 5-10mm total to play with where the nuts stck out from the frame. So if you want 5mm either side you will have to offer them up frequently or find a way to measure the bolt within the frame.

Darren69
05-10-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm attempting to do this now on my S4, looks like it is a long bolt with a nut but I don't have a socket the correct size for the bolt head. The nut fits a 15mm socket but it just turns the bolt. What size is the bolt head? The 17mm socket I have does not fit in the hole in the frame.