PDA

View Full Version : Luggage

Bigxr
04-05-2011, 08:57 PM
I'm looking for some advice ............:)
I want to carry some basic luggagery on my S2R. not much, a lightweight tent, compact sleeping bag, a change of undies and some alka seltzer!
I don't want to spend a fortune so what's reccommended by those more travelled on monsters?
:gromit:

singletrack
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
just get a Kriega tailpack, or an Ortlieb waterproof bag which is bungeed to the seat.

Stafford
04-05-2011, 09:13 PM
For the S2R etc the Ducati tailpack is excellent but for your needs with a tent as well may I suggest you try and get hold of some Ventura kit. Can be mounted in a couple of ways and should fit the bill.

Bigxr
04-05-2011, 09:44 PM
Thanks for the advice, I agree the ventura kit looks the biz, I actually photo'd a monster with a ventura rack at last years bristol italian motor day, but they're a bit pricey for me, I know theyre good kit, but I don't know about spending 300 quid just to use on a couple of weekends a year. The Kreiga stuff looks good though, i've never come across it before, and on first looks I recon I've missed a trick! It certainly looks like it'd survive a few weekends of abuse.. (unlike me!) :o

Char
04-05-2011, 09:51 PM
Kreiga is good stuff, well recommended

MrsC_772
04-05-2011, 09:54 PM
I'm a big Kriega fan, but reckon the Ventura rack might be a better bet if you're looking to carry a tent as well.

Kriega have just brought out a U30 (i.e. 30 litre) tailpack. In theory, if you strapped 3 of those together you could have 90 litres capacity, which is more than the biggest Ventura pack (which looks huge as it is).

My usual luggage set up is a US20 with a US10 on either side.

Bigxr
04-05-2011, 09:58 PM
Thanx mrs C, that sounds loike it'd do fine for me, and being a bloke, i wont need to carry straighteners or curling tongs!!!

Liz
04-05-2011, 10:00 PM
The Ducati Performance tailpack is excellent. It fits over the back of the seat with a flap and under the seat with straps. I find it doesn't affect the handling of the bike at all (and that's important for me). I bought a new one earlier in the year for just under £100. If your tent is small, you may be able to fit it into one of these, plus it is expandable. I managed to pack everything in for the Belgium Weekender last year (thanks Stafford for lending me yours :)) and away again last weekend with my own (!) and still plenty of room left!

stopintime
04-05-2011, 10:58 PM
Many tail bags will hold a tent and a sleeping bag - strap the sleeping bag on top if you need more space. My camping gear includes a self inflateable mattress, which I secure on the passenger foot peg and with a strap to the frame. The key to secure packing and mounting is rigidity and compact stuffing of the bag.

http://i329.photobucket.com/albums/l394/stopintime/Rjukanmot09003.jpg

Bikergirl
08-05-2011, 11:46 AM
just get a Kriega tailpack

You will be amazed at how much you can get into a Kriega ... works for me whenever I am away for short trips. Still use the Ventura for longer European tours, though. :spin:

utopia
08-05-2011, 05:01 PM
I would normally have put in a plug for my, in the development stage, QD rack with pillion backrest and grab-handles.
However, progress has been slow of late, cos I've been otherwise engaged.
The prototype will be on my bike at arrow mill though, so you can all have a look and see what you think.
You can even laugh at the copper pipe that I've used on the test model if you like.
Funnily enough, it seems to be easily strong enough in 22mm copper, despite half the connections still being unsoldered and being held together with a cable tie........:eek: