PDA

View Full Version : That time has arrived!

monstark600
03-05-2011, 12:49 PM
Hi everyone

Glad to hear the london ride out went well, would have been great to head down but the bike has other plans.

I was wondering if there was anyone in and around london who is planning on changing their belts at home DIY style! Only as mine are due soon and while I hear that the belt change is not overly complicated it would be very beneficial to see and hear some tips from a fellow member who has done it before and wouldnt mind a showing a novice one afternoon how its done. I dont mind travelling as tool box is limited due to old mans hand me downs!

Lunch on me obviously

Any takers let me know

Cheers

Dave

steeevvvooo
03-05-2011, 12:55 PM
Just had mine done, but I'd be keen to pop over and watch someone if there's a demo

Half Pint
03-05-2011, 01:13 PM
doing mine soon with the everhelpful uncle.

if i get a chance i'll try and do a guide. that said the engine casings are being stripped off and repainted so it will be a few weeks before its all completed.

swesty
05-05-2011, 07:15 PM
There really is nothing to it and anyone telling you otherwise just wants your money. Forget all the tech stuff about 5mm allen keys and the like and employ basic mechanical sympathy (know the difference between 45 and 90 degrees). I soon learned that the markings will not line up correctly until the belt is tensioned. Keep your fingers away from the start button, plugs out and gently turn it over by hand until you are sure it's right. And don't get seen off on the price either!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

monstark600
06-05-2011, 12:25 PM
Stevooo where did you yours done? I was knocking round Bromley the other week as I used to Live down that way, you ever down box hill?

I'm tempted to just have a crack, but knowing me something won't go as planned and I'll end up paying someone to fix my stupidity lol, I think with things like belts I'd like to see someone do it before having a go myself.

Jungle24
06-05-2011, 12:36 PM
What a timely post! I am due a change too soon and really want to have a crack myself, I have watched the you tube guides and it looks easy enough but I would defo feel more comfortable watching someone who knows what theyre doing! Also where is the best place to buy them and whats the rough cost for a s2r800?

steeevvvooo
06-05-2011, 01:44 PM
I had mine done at Rosso Corse. I know some people say it's a waste getting someone else to do it, but until I'm comfortable with what's involved (i.e. someone shows me!) I'll take it to Ray every 2 years

Don't really get up to Box Hill much. I went once, and sort of got lost, so have never tried again! :dizzy:

gary tompkins
06-05-2011, 02:02 PM
I've replaced the belts about six or seven times on M600 and M900 - trike and solo. Easy job for someone with enough experience and proper tools. Belts have gone up in price a lot. My last set for 900ie costing around £60, but I used to get them for under £40 mail order - Woods Ducati. You'll need to provide VIN/engine numbers to ensure ordering right belts.

Last swap took me just 1/2 hour. The M600 used to take an hour in the past as the rear cylinder belt cover is a fecker to get on and off. Rizoma billet covers on trike make this easier - seems to be more clearance. Tensioner locking bolts can sieze and round off (made of cheese) and better replaced with hex bolts. I use the 45 degree twist at mid point method to set tension, but there are other ways including heavy duty spring balance.

Make sure pully marks are lined up during belt swap. Pullys will try to rotate when belts are off. You can lock them with cap screws - but I never bother. Having a buddy to help with a spare pair of hands can be a bonus. Remember to re-check tension after 500-1000 miles once the belts have bedded in as they will stretch a bit. It's worth remembering that belts need to come off to check/re-set desmo shims. So it's worth asking the pro's to swap belts if due at service while it's in having other work done.

monstark600
06-05-2011, 02:09 PM
Yeah mines down at RC at the moment with poor running, roughly what do they charge down there for belts? I don't wanna ask as I don't want another excuse for it to be in there lol....not yet anyway!

Well if a saint hopefully comes along with a bit of time for some amateur mechanics we might be able to see a demo before havin ago

rac3r
06-05-2011, 02:30 PM
What a timely post! I am due a change too soon and really want to have a crack myself, I have watched the you tube guides and it looks easy enough but I would defo feel more comfortable watching someone who knows what theyre doing! Also where is the best place to buy them and whats the rough cost for a s2r800?

Checked it the other day at work and they are about £30-40 each (You need 2). If you speak to Steve at Daytona and say Azhar sent you he MAY do it a little cheaper :D

steeevvvooo
06-05-2011, 04:27 PM
Yeah mines down at RC at the moment with poor running, roughly what do they charge down there for belts? I don't wanna ask as I don't want another excuse for it to be in there lol....not yet anyway!

Well if a saint hopefully comes along with a bit of time for some amateur mechanics we might be able to see a demo before havin ago

Not exactly sure as I had other bits, including valves, done last time.

Just ask them. They're honest blokes, and have a good reputation with their loyal following to keep up so won't rip you off :thumbsup:

rac3r
06-05-2011, 04:41 PM
You could also try Proteam, they are awesome too!

Jungle24
25-05-2011, 02:44 PM
Right I am going to try this myself! I am picking up the belts on Saturady morning. One problem I have is tourque settings - I dont have them. I am also after a haynes manuel for a s2r800 but they dont seem to do one. Does the normal monsters one suffice? Anyone with any info they can provide me with other than you tube vids would be appreciated! I really want to get this right!!!! Cheers in advance!! Jim.

singletrack
25-05-2011, 03:20 PM
Right I am going to try this myself! I am picking up the belts on Saturady morning. One problem I have is tourque settings - I dont have them. I am also after a haynes manuel for a s2r800 but they dont seem to do one. Does the normal monsters one suffice? Anyone with any info they can provide me with other than you tube vids would be appreciated! I really want to get this right!!!! Cheers in advance!! Jim.

You can get a workshop manual on CD from ebay

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Ducati-Monster-S2R-800-Workshop-Service-Manual-/370338916380?pt=UK_CarParts_Vehicles_Manuals_Litte rature_ET&hash=item5639eb681c#ht_912wt_907

rac3r
25-05-2011, 03:49 PM
I was watching mine being done last week and they did it in about 10 minutes. The engine has to be cold when you do it, mine was still a little warm so they did them a little tighter

It didn't look hard to do but I'd never trust myself to do it :chuckle:

Diego
25-05-2011, 03:53 PM
http://www.ducatisuite.com/beltchange.html

Jungle24
25-05-2011, 04:57 PM
Cheers Diego! Having fully read the link I am feeling much more confidant. As long as everything lines up I should be fine. Is this a UK link as I have heard the tourque setting vary between USA and here? Does anyone know the correct UK tourqes settings for the tensioners? Also how come when you have the belts done at a dealer you are never told to take it back for the belts to be checked and tightened but in all these guides they advise checking after 500-1000 miles?

Jungle24
26-05-2011, 11:33 AM
Cheers Diego! Having fully read the link I am feeling much more confidant. As long as everything lines up I should be fine. Is this a UK link as I have heard the tourque setting vary between USA and here? Does anyone know the correct UK tourqes settings for the tensioners? Also how come when you have the belts done at a dealer you are never told to take it back for the belts to be checked and tightened but in all these guides they advise checking after 500-1000 miles?

the_adam
26-05-2011, 12:17 PM
It's an easy enough job but one thing to watch out for, apparently the heads on the tensioner bolts aren't standard allen fittings, someone else might be able to confirm this, think the end is rounded off slightly?

Whatever it was, I twisted the head off the first one I tried. There was just about enough left to get some pliers around it eventually but it wasn't much fun to do. Ducati charged close to £5 for a replacement...they must be made of expensive cheese :) Got mine done professionally in the end to save any more trouble, not to put you off or anything but it may be an idea to replace them with good allen bolts when you do it.

Sorry I don't know the torques you needed

ukpco
06-06-2011, 09:30 PM
Just done mine and can confirm it's pretty straightforward, although a little nerve wracvking. When I took the cover off I found the allen key used to tighten the bolt still in it. I guess the cover must have held it in place but I hate to think what could have happened if it had fallen out. Moral - check you've removed the tools before refitting covers.

Jungle24
07-06-2011, 07:50 AM
OMG!!UKpco! How lucky was that? I also have done mine, I had the fortune of having the assistance of an ex Ducati mechanic who showed me exactly what to do! Its all about going slow and ensuring the tension isnt too loose or tight! Just got to change my starter solenoid now and then I might be able to go for a ride!!