PDA

View Full Version : Trackday Preparation

randall356
02-05-2011, 04:29 PM
Hey guy,

I have signed up for the UKMOC track day at Mallory Park and, to be honest, I don't really know what I have let myself in for. I didn't want to add this to the ongoing thread in case it went off on one!

Can someone advise me if I need to prep my bike in anyway prior to turning up? My 2 year belt change is due in June - should I do this before or after the track day?

Do I need to take anything particular with me such as extra fuel etc?

Anything else I need to bear in mind?

Cheers guys,

Stu

Mr Cake
02-05-2011, 04:52 PM
Extra fuel is a good idea. Leave the bike alone because you know where you're up to with it as it is; tweak it a bit on the day if needs be. Pack a foot-pump and a few basic tools if you can. Best thing to do is not to think too much about it. If you're going to be worrying about mechanicals, get them done. It'll only take up headspace that should be used for riding. Keep your head in good nick and keep yourself hydrated so fetch plenty of water.

We'll be there so if there's owt you need just nip over and we'll do our best to steer the job right.

C

Capo
02-05-2011, 05:01 PM
Tape up the headlight. I remove my mirrors. Pay particular attention to tire pressures, a bit lower for the track.
Take an extra gallon of fuel, not sure if the circuits pumps will be open.

J.P
02-05-2011, 05:03 PM
I second what Cake said.
There's too much worrying before a trackday, for then every novice to find it an easy day, well within their capabilities. I as always will be riding to the track on my bike, I'll park it, let a bit of air out of the tyres, sign on, then go on the track. You can tape bits up if you like, but it's not needed.

I like using my mirrors on track and others don't, I don't cover my number plate, I don't cover my speedo.

Extra petrol is a help as it's always expensive on-sight, and I'm not sure if there'll be any on site actually, and it will save you riding to find some, but it's not a problem. Remember, you'll have 40 minutes of downtime between your track time.

You can always bring snacks, lunch, cake for yourself to save you a few bob.

gary tompkins
02-05-2011, 05:51 PM
Get belts done if you get time or otherwise check and adjust tension. Give the bike a once over beforehand and on the trackday too. Look for tyre damage, pressures, chain adjust and lube, oil and hydraulic fluid levels. You may be able to run slightly stiffer damping/preload settings for track use. Take plenty of water and snacks to keep your sugar levels up.

Capo
02-05-2011, 06:20 PM
If you are not riding to the venue, remember to take your key!!!

Mr Cake
02-05-2011, 07:30 PM
Sounds like the voice of experience!

C

NattyBoy
02-05-2011, 08:37 PM
If you are not riding to the venue, remember to take your key!!!

Yeah - coz let's face it you'd have to be a complete cabbage to forget your key when you've trailered your track bike all the way to silverstone...:dunce::dunce: !!

Good advice from the experienced boys. don't underestimate the hydration bit..but most of all don't worry about it. This is the VERY best opportunity you will get to attend a friendly and relaxed track day with a bunch of like minded enthusiasts.

Have the opened the doors for the naughty corner yet BTW ?!!!!

Mr Cake
02-05-2011, 09:04 PM
I wouldn't have thought so yet, Nat. Not until after the Weekender at least.

C

steeevvvooo
03-05-2011, 10:20 AM
Give the bike a once over beforehand and on the trackday too. Look for tyre damage, pressures, chain adjust and lube, oil and hydraulic fluid levels.

+1

Check your tyres before you go! I (well, Jim I think it was) spotted a nail in my tyre after the first session at Cadwell!! Must have been in there ages, and definitely through the 100mph+ first track session :dizzy: I then had to have the rear replaced on track, so ran with a Dunlop GP Racer on the back and Michelin Pilot Road on the front. I was paranoid about the mismatch for a couple of sessions afterwards. :grump:

Otherwsie, basic stuff, make sure things are in decent working order and you ave enough oil etc.

PDL
03-05-2011, 12:14 PM
+1 all good advice.

My 2 pence would be don't stuff yourself at lunch, just keep topping your blood sugar up after each session so take loads of tit bits, as others have said remember to drink water after each session as you will sweat more than you realise. Also just enjoy it, take it easy first couple of sessions get to know the track, you have all day, it isn't a race it is a track day so don't worry if people are passing you it doesn't matter. If there are instructors there get a free session with one of them, ask them to take you out and check your lines etc. Finally short shift before you hit Gerrards. ;)

Enjoy it as it is a fabulous experience.

gary tompkins
03-05-2011, 12:37 PM
The reason I mention chains in particular...

Scotty had a chain snap on his S4 on the first 2004 UKMOC trackday. It let go flat out on the pit straight and destroyed his engine. Very lucky not to have a massive off in the process. Someone caught it on video at the time - I'll try to find some pictures..

mazydog
05-05-2011, 04:56 PM
i was at Mallory a couple of weeks ago and they had fuel on £1.50 a litre, well worth watching you tube vids for lines some say Mallory is a bit boring i found it OK good circuit to start at as your basically only learning a few turns http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D5p0nVTUr-o&feature=fvsr

stay up a gear on Mallory very easy to high side especially coming out of Edwina's setting up for Cooper Esses, must have been 6 bikes go their a couple of bad ones.

don't forget tape your clock up looking at that is the best possible way to run off, don't worry about what's going on behind you nothing you can do about it.

most important enjoy it

Mr Cake
05-05-2011, 05:49 PM
Very important, Randall, is not to listen too much to advice like this. Approach the track as you would the road until you get a feel for the circuit. You wouldn't tempt a highside on your local A-road so you're not going to do it on track. You'll instinctively carve out a decent enough line to remain safe on your first trackday. Only pay attention to circuit guides if you're chasing down sub-minute lap times around Mallory. Like I said earlier, keep your head clear. When you've finished your first session you'll soon work out what was good advice and what wasn't. More interesting than that, you'll wonder what all the fuss was about and why you hadn't booked one sooner.

C

mazydog
05-05-2011, 06:18 PM
i beg to differ old boy the track is not the road are you suggesting this lad indicate shoulder check look for traffic emerging from the left ??????????????

you could ride round the track like your on a local A road but then why not save the cost of a track day and just ............... ride around a local A road.

Mand
05-05-2011, 06:35 PM
I think the key is in the title, 'preparation'. Good advice given above. Just enjoy your day, see you there!

Mr Cake
05-05-2011, 06:38 PM
Depends on how you ride the A-road, old bean. There shouldn't be any minor-into-major roads to worry about shoulder-checking or indicating for, not last time I checked anyway. I'm also well versed with circuit and road riding. However, I do appreciate the lesson. I'm just saying don't scare the lad with Edwinas horror stories, etc... This is his first trackday so its best to approach it with an open mind.

C

gary tompkins
05-05-2011, 07:01 PM
The reason I mention chains in particular...

Scotty had a chain snap on his S4 on the first 2004 UKMOC trackday. It let go flat out on the pit straight and destroyed his engine. Very lucky not to have a massive off in the process. Someone caught it on video at the time - I'll try to find some pictures..

I think the key is in the title, 'preparation'. Good advice given above. Just enjoy your day, see you there!

Scotty may not appreciate seeing this again but....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13v1jiHvUCc

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5307/5690674699_e53f7e748d_z.jpg

gary tompkins
05-05-2011, 07:13 PM
Fast group - pit straight 2004

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngWjzf9p-gI

mazydog
05-05-2011, 07:29 PM
its a fair shout Mr Cake, enjoy yourself Randall you will be fine

dunlop0_1
05-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Louise is booking on the TD tomorrow with her M600.

I will be there with her and the van I use for DD (wish I could use the DD bike).
I will have paddock stands, compressor and a lots of tools so if any one needs to adjust/check anything please fell free to come over.

Tea and coffee will also be on the go.

My advise as the current DD championship leader and DD Mallory lap record holder. :biggrin:

Afford everyone else on track the space you would expect for yourself and don't be a hero.

slob
05-05-2011, 07:43 PM
Afford everyone else on track the space you would expect for yourself and don't be a hero.

Now that is good advice.

randall356
06-05-2011, 08:00 AM
Wow guys thanks for all the great advice - although it appears some people are going to be really tanking it round! I'm obviously in the novice group so hopefully there will be a few first timers. My plan is to just take it nice and easy as my first TD, learn a bit about lines, turn in points, reference points etc (been reading Keith Code) but most importantly get my bike and I back home in one piece.

If I really really enjoy it and fancy doing some more I'll probably get a bashed up 600 to save me having an accident on my new £6000 ducati!

gary tompkins
06-05-2011, 08:10 AM
The no limits guys on track are really helpful, and happy to give 1 to 1 instruction at Mallory. I didn't bother in 2004 figuring I would be ok, but in 2005 I had 2 training sessions and it made me realise I should have done it earlier. They were using beaten up CB500's at the time but the guy I worked with was amazingly quick and smooth, and I was working really hard to stick with him on the 900 monster. Just 20 laps with him made a huge difference to my lap times and confidence. There was no extra charge for this either so well worth considering if it's still on offer.

scrapps
06-05-2011, 08:19 AM
Don't worrie about fast people they will be in the fast group and most if not all people who have been before will be in the inters.
No limits staff are among the best in the business and will pull up anybody not riding safe or move them up a group.
My 1st trackday was with ukmoc at Mallory and it was a fantastic day for all involved.

J.P
06-05-2011, 08:29 AM
We'll look after you Mr Randall, don't you worry.

Funkatronic
06-05-2011, 12:08 PM
its so worth it, you will love it,
check you bike is mechaniclaly sound and eveything works as it should,
ride how you feel comfortable, dont try to race anyone, just enjoy riding your bike without the majority of the pitfalls of the road

see you there

simon_g
30-06-2011, 10:35 AM
Numpty question - my lights are always on, I take it that plus tape is a bad idea. Can I pull a fuse or two to switch them off, or do I need to go dismantling lights and pulling the bulbs out? Just figuring out what tools I ought to bring...

Lochy
30-06-2011, 10:50 AM
you can leave lights on, its up to you if you tape them or not.....

Gilps
30-06-2011, 11:16 AM
Numpty question - my lights are always on, I take it that plus tape is a bad idea. Can I pull a fuse or two to switch them off, or do I need to go dismantling lights and pulling the bulbs out? Just figuring out what tools I ought to bring...

Just put insulating tape over the lights. It comes off easy enough. No need to worry about leaving the ligths on. It won't cause a problem.

You really should tape up lights and mirrors, not just for your benefit but as a courtesy to other riders. It's done to prevent broken glass going everywhere in the event of a spill. If you put some over the speedo then it will avoid that becoming a distraction too.

gary tompkins
30-06-2011, 11:41 PM
Take the mirrors off - one less thing to get damaged