PDA

View Full Version : 2nd bike - which 600cc ?

Mr.Number
29-04-2011, 08:47 PM
Iv been on the look out for a second bike for a while now, even more so the other day when I realised just how much mileage im getting through on the S2R. I share the same opinion as other owners who feel these bikes are keepers, so I want to keep the mileage down.

So which 600 is the question........im going for a sports bike as I really dont think a de-tuned 600 commuter is going to fit the bill when faced with an open road on a sunny day and im too used to having power. I simply couldnt live with something that feels slightly gutless as the feeling of wanting more power would ruin my ride.

New or old doesn't really matter and im never going to get round to riding them all to see for myself, as there's so many different bikes ! I dont want another ducati tho.

Kawasaki's get a lot of very solid reviews, mainly engine based compliments and the new ninja looks a great bike.

I also like the 2002 yamaha R6 which is non injection, straight inline 4, this also gets many good reviews, again engine based which is apparently a peach and very reliable.

Anyone have good experiences with a 600 sports ?

rac3r
29-04-2011, 10:52 PM
Older R6's have 2nd gear problems (it pops out under hard acceleration). Go for a ZX-6R 636, either a B or C model, they have good mid range compared to the other 600's and the induction roar is awesome!

Personally I like the Ninja models compared to the others. I think the R6 is too track focused and the CBR is a Honda (:D) Daytona 675 is meant to be awesome too

singletrack
29-04-2011, 10:54 PM
How much do you wan t to spend?

He11cat
30-04-2011, 12:12 AM
Not a fan of Kwacks although performance wise they have a good rep ... always seem to have a bit of a crappy build quality I have found .
Friend in sales said the same to me .... always seem to wear the worst and be niggly!!.

Yams and Hondas however have been pretty solid... he also agreed with this .
I wouldn't knock a CBR...
Any of the Suzi's take your fancy??

Saint aka ML
30-04-2011, 12:19 AM
But keeper does not exclude using it?! How many miles a year you do to work?

The highest mileage monster I seen was in 2009 Italian day at Ace Cafe .... when it got there it had 2 miles on a clock as his speedo just closed full circle before showing up.

Bike was in stunning working order for mileage and he only had to do 1 bottom end rebuild and 6 top end. He used it all over the world.

Your choice but those engines are well over engineered for power they make.

utopia
30-04-2011, 05:19 AM
Does it have to be a sports 600 ?
I agree that you can still use a keeper monster, though...
With mine, I try to cut out a lot of the stop/start stuff, particularly in winter, as that accounts for most wear and tear. If you do much of that yourself, it might be worth considering something like a supermoto as a second bike that will cover all that, leaving the monster for longer runs. I run a honda dominator alongside mine, though I could do without the bodywork.
CCM used to do a 'dual sport' or somesuch, suzuki engined, which came with two sets of wheels...17in supermoto plus 21/17in enduro. One of those, and a monster, would give you loads of biking options.
Just a thought.
Can't speak for sports 600s...I haven't ridden any of them, ....but I'd look first at a Daytona 675.

Nickj
30-04-2011, 07:43 AM
I'd go for an older Yam and just rag it till it died then get another. If it's a spare sacrificial bike then you don't want something too new or nice enough that you get involved with it.
If you do go for an almost new spare then you might as well get another monster and alternate use.

Mr Cake
30-04-2011, 07:59 AM
I had never ridden a sports 600 before we got our ZX636R track bike and I was amazed how quick it was. Everywhere! I honestly don't know why people, myself included, ride litre sportsbikes. Made me rethink having the R1. For a minute anyway.

C

NattyBoy
30-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I had never ridden a sports 600 before we got our ZX636R track bike and I was amazed how quick it was. Everywhere! I honestly don't know why people, myself included, ride litre sportsbikes. Made me rethink having the R1. For a minute anyway.

C

Usable power - the way forward eh mate ??! Wait till you get into your stride on it..there's no better feeling than breezing by a bike that on paper you have no right to ;-)

steeevvvooo
30-04-2011, 08:11 AM
I'd go for an older Yam and just rag it till it died then get another.

I bought a Diversion to do that. The problem is, it was no fun to ride so started to spend some cash.

Have done a service, new tyres, fork refresh, carb set up etc, but have got to the stage where next job is head bearings + a shock refresh. It would be as good as it could be after this, but I can't justify spending more time/money (it's a little to big for my commute through central London).

It's a tough call getting something cheap, reliable, but enough fun to make you not want to take the Monster out everytime... which is the whole point of a second bike for me. My last attempt for a "commuter" bike will be a supermoto. Seems to tick all the boxes for me.

Diversion 900 for sale if you want to PM me! :look:

Dave G
30-04-2011, 08:17 AM
Heres a leftfield choice, not quite a sports bike not quite a commuter and not a 600cc either.
Fun though.

The TRX 850

http://motors.shop.ebay.co.uk/Cars-Motorcycles-Vehicles-/9800/i.html?_nkw=trx+850&_catref=1&_dmpt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&_fln=1&_sac=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

desmo
30-04-2011, 09:24 AM
I know you said a sportsbike, but my choice if you don't want another Ducati would be the Triumph Street Triple, an awesome handling little beast with great looks & plenty of power.

MonstaChicky
30-04-2011, 01:58 PM
Superduke? Much more comfy for commuting, GREAT fun, and can go on track too...they crash well! But not a cheap investment...

Mr.Number
30-04-2011, 02:42 PM
The problem with these supermoto type bikes is your constantly filling the tank up as the range isnt the best.

Thats what im thinkin nick, an old R6. Iv not heard of the 2nd gear issue rac with the 02 model, may have been bike specific. The pre injection engine is a belter im led to believe and clocks the miles up no problem. Its also the comfiest r6 to date, with wider seat and less track focussed like the newer models which are like sitting on a concrete bench.

I rode one years ago and couldnt believe how light it was, looking at figures the other day and its still the lightest in the r6 range.

red white and black if you know anyone selling.

steeevvvooo
30-04-2011, 02:53 PM
second gear issue is common across a few of the older yamaha bikes I believe. I used to have a thundercat and that was one of the main pre-buying checks. Stick it in second, pin the throttle and see if it jumps out of gear. If it does, it's a big job so walk away.

Mr.Number
30-04-2011, 03:09 PM
Cheers Ste/rac i'll have to look into that then, but im sure it can be sorted like most things.

rac3r
30-04-2011, 03:16 PM
It can be but its engine out job and will cost quite a bit. The models after that 03 onwards are meant to be good

Mr Cake
30-04-2011, 03:53 PM
Usable power - the way forward eh mate ??! Wait till you get into your stride on it..there's no better feeling than breezing by a bike that on paper you have no right to ;-)

Oh I'd never sell the R1, its too much of a giggle. There's nothing quite like unusable power Haha! I know what you mean though, mate. I can lap quicker on the smaller bike, and I was paid the ultimate compliment at the last trackday after a club racer asked if it was a ZX10R! Made me smile :D

C

Sorry for the hijack. But Nat thinks I'm fat and slow haha!

Mand
30-04-2011, 06:46 PM

I remember a certain some one doing that on an old yella.600 on the first ukmoc track day.

No apologies for the hijack!! Haha.....

NattyBoy
30-04-2011, 06:57 PM
Little Hooligan that yellowun was eh Mand ? LOL !

Mand
30-04-2011, 07:17 PM
Little Hooligan that yellowun was eh Mand ? LOL !

Wolf in sheeps clothing. :D