PDA

View Full Version : Stripping 749s forks (showa)

Saint aka ML
29-04-2011, 12:00 PM
How hard is it to strip 749s forks?

I would like to powdercoat fork bottoms and anodize the tubes but obviously both parts would need to be off.

Any manual, guide on how to do it? How hard is it? I know how to open them up ot remove springs/oil but that is it. Any special tools needed for dissasembly and reassembly?
Again except the tool for measuring oil level and one ofr compressing the spring as that is sorted.

Mr Cake
29-04-2011, 02:07 PM
I'd have thought the fork bottoms and sliders would be an interference fit and quite difficult to separate, not impossible though. To remove the fork slider from the fork tube you need to draw the slider out to it's full extent. Once it "tops-out", pull them hard apart. Feels wrong but they should separate.

C

Saint aka ML
29-04-2011, 06:12 PM
I'd have thought the fork bottoms and sliders would be an interference fit and quite difficult to separate, not impossible though. To remove the fork slider from the fork tube you need to draw the slider out to it's full extent. Once it "tops-out", pull them hard apart. Feels wrong but they should separate.

C

Thx, I'll try that next week. If I can only do tubes I will so be it.

gary tompkins
01-05-2011, 10:05 PM
The lower bracket and slider is fixed damper rod by an allen bolt through the bottom on a lot of USD forks. Some also have a retaining screw in the side of the lower bracket. Char just had the bottoms on her S4R forks powdercoated - not sure if they were stripped first?

Capo
01-05-2011, 10:18 PM
The bottoms are screwed onto the tubes with RED loctite with additional security of a grub screw. Heat is required and you will need a set of vice jaws that will not damage the tube while the bottom is unscrewed.

You are best to take them to someone who has the kit and knows the process

number24
20-05-2011, 11:18 AM
Do these forks fit straight onto a monster? (M600 in question here).

Kato
20-05-2011, 11:26 AM
Do these forks fit straight onto a monster? (M600 in question here).
No they do not, top yoke needs to be bored out bottom yoke needs to be shimmed and the fork internals will need to be changed otherwise it'll be like fitting a couple of scaffold tubes perhaps even harder, apart from that its easy;)